Adebayor back at Carrington yesterday.

Like someone said before, how can you compare a millionaire footballer to an average joe? He is a greedy bastard who deserves fuck all

Pigeonho said:
franksinatra said:
Pigeonho said:
That's exactly right, but for that reason a player shouldn't be called a **** for doing what most people would do anyway, regardless of the figures involved. If all this was happening over the road at OT, people would think it was great on here. The fact it's City it's 'happening' to shouldn't really be an issue, as all it is really is a man taking the money offered to him, it's not like its some issue he has with the club.

Of course they would think it would be great if it happened over the road. We are football fans, but that isnt the best barometer to judge whether something reflects positively on our players. When Rooney held United to ransom, yes it was good for a laugh, but it spoke volumes about the individual.

If you wish to make the comparison with the man on the street. I bet the majority of people would cherish every moment of game time. Ade has millions in the bank, yet he would rather rot in the reserves or be sent away at the clubs whim rather than accept a wage most premiership footballers would dream about.

It speaks volumes about him.
It speaks volumes about people and money mate.

Without doubt there is an element of that. What you have said is very well reasoned and taking off my football hat I may think the same.

But in some ways football is unique. Whether it be Ade, James Milner, Yaya they grew up with a love for the game. There was no riches for them when playing as a kid. So what changed?

Ive heard Ade bang on about the love shown to him at Spurs, the support of the fans, indeed as a player he did very well for them. Yet here he is, probably been offered one of the best contracts at Spurs, demanding more money of them or us. The alternatives for him is to rot away at our club, missing out on the chance for further glory, or being loaned to a club, where he has little rapport and may require uprooting his family. What a poor mentality and I am sure is not typical of all footballers.

waspish said:
Don't blame em not budging on wages would you drop your wages for a move to another company?

For me it's up to the buying club to make the difference we are letting a players go for about a 1/3 of his price because of there wages! I'd love city to tell em to get stuffed

I keep hearing this argument, but it doesn't really apply to Premier League footballers given the huge salaries involved. If the ordinary man in the street had his wages halved he might be looking at struggling to pay his bills, mortgage etc. If one of these players has his wages halved it might mean that he can only buy a Ferrari every three weeks rather than one every week...

franksinatra said:
Pigeonho said:
franksinatra said:
Of course they would think it would be great if it happened over the road. We are football fans, but that isnt the best barometer to judge whether something reflects positively on our players. When Rooney held United to ransom, yes it was good for a laugh, but it spoke volumes about the individual.

If you wish to make the comparison with the man on the street. I bet the majority of people would cherish every moment of game time. Ade has millions in the bank, yet he would rather rot in the reserves or be sent away at the clubs whim rather than accept a wage most premiership footballers would dream about.

It speaks volumes about him.

Without doubt there is an element of that. What you have said is very well reasoned and taking off my football hat I may think the same.

But in some ways football is unique. Whether it be Ade, James Milner, Yaya they grew up with a love for the game. There was no riches for them when playing as a kid. So what changed?

Ive heard Ade bang on about the love shown to him at Spurs, the support of the fans, indeed as a player he did very well for them. Yet here he is, probably been offered one of the best contracts at Spurs, demanding more money of them or us. The alternatives for him is to rot away at our club, missing out on the chance for further glory, or being loaned to a club, where he has little rapport and may require uprooting his family. What a poor mentality and I am sure is not typical of all footballers.
But he'll get his pay. As I said earlier in the thread, Assou-Ekotto pissed Spurs' fans off a few years ago when he openly said he was there for the money. He even said he doesn't like the game and that it's all about the money. He won't be the only one, infact he could be in the majority of the foreign footballers. All these dads who do everything they can to get their lad in the game, it's all because of the rewards. Financially.

Pigeonho said:
franksinatra said:
Pigeonho said:

But he'll get his pay. As I said earlier in the thread, Assou-Ekotto pissed Spurs' fans off a few years ago when he openly said he was there for the money. He even said he doesn't like the game and that it's all about the money. He won't be the only one, infact he could be in the majority of the foreign footballers. All these dads who do everything they can to get their lad in the game, it's all because of the rewards. Financially.

I rememeber watching an interview, many years ago, with the Coventry midfielder Micky Gynn saying when he played in the 87 Cup Final he was earning a wage, not significantly different to the man in the street at that time.

For me, its a shame that for all the wealth generated by the game, its being wasted on the likes of Ade while grass roots football, facilities for kids seem not to be benefitting. Admittedly that is the responsibility of the clubs.

franksinatra said:
Pigeonho said:
franksinatra said:

I rememeber watching an interview, many years ago, with the Coventry midfielder Micky Gynn saying when he played in the 87 Cup Final he was earning a wage, not significantly different to the man in the street at that time.

For me, its a shame that for all the wealth generated by the game, its being wasted on the likes of Ade while grass roots football, facilities for kids seem not to be benefitting. Admittedly that is the responsibility of the clubs.
I agree with that, but as long as bringing in the best to win the best is the order of the day for clubs like ours, that's how it will be.

InMyLifetime-BaconChops said:
Pigeonho said:
Lol at people slating Adebayor. Like as if none of you wouldn't do the same thing in his shoes. Take Manchester City out of it for a minute and put your self in those shoes. You are employed by company, (which is what he is, employed by a company), and are paid £175k a week. You aren't at the top table of that company but life is sweet all the same. Another company offers you far less but a place at their top table, where you will have to work hard. Do you know what I would do, and I suspect many others too? I'd fuck the offer to work harder for less and sit and earn my £175k at the slightly lesser table with my employers daft enough to pay me those big bucks in the first place. It's common sense.

I think what is going on here for some is the big bad wolf is taking the piss out of Man City, (we can't have that now can we), and therefore that wolf is a ****. Like I say though, take Manchester City out of it and look at it from Adebayor's point of view. Employer paying an employee shit loads of money to do not alot at all.

I wish I was in his shoes.

Yes exactly, but he has been paid £175k a week for the past 3/4 years...he's rich as fuck, and doesn't need the money as much as some of us, I mean he wouldn't have to live on the street if he moved clubs. He would still be earning ludacris amounts of money each week. Even if we were earning that lower amount we would be as happy as fuck

Ludicrous.

if he is loaned out, he wont play against us, but will against our rivals.
potentially worth a few points to us?
It niggles the fans, someone getting paid shitloads for doing nowt, Nigel Clough did it when 6 grand a week was a fortune, nothing has changed, players and their agents hold the aces.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.