Air Shows 2014

DelToro

I went to plenty of air shows as a kid but then didn't go for 30 years.

My youngest got interested in them which rekindled my interest.

We have been to Southport, Cosford and Farnborough Air Shows in recent years and tomorrow I'm back at Cosford.

Red Arrows, Typhoon, Vulcan etc.

Anyone else going to Air Shows this year?

p.s. Carol Vorderman will be at Cosford. Worth the ticket price alone.

when I was a kid my dad was the fire chief at RAF Alconbury, they had a great airshow every year and my brother and I got to watch from a fire truck right off the runway, love them but haven't been to a good one in years

Dawlish in Devon on the 23rd August, the highlight of the show is going to be seeing the RAF Lancaster flying alongside Its Canadian counterpart. The show is free and in a fantastic location, makes a good weekend away.

I always loved the one at Folkestone that's back this year after a long break. It's not that you see anything especially different or unusual to any other airshow, it's that it takes place along the Leas clifftop, so the aircraft fly past at not much more than eye level over the sea. And that's amazing. The devious bastards some years ago flew a Harrier below cliff top level and then popped up vertically in front of everyone trying to figure out where the hell that racket had come from!

I'd not been to one since my youth plane spotting days in the early 70's but last year went to the main one near Brize Norton on semi freebie tickets as young master moon was working there.

Had a great weekend overall even though the guest house we stayed in was full of plane wierdos.

It seemed the same stuff near enough from years ago for example the Red Arrows still did the se stuff. Highlight was a personal guided tour of a C17 and being able to queue jump to look round it.

blue b4 the moon said:
It seemed the same stuff near enough from years ago for example the Red Arrows

But I do get a kick out of being at an event full of people from all over the world and seeing the genuinely awed reaction from non-Brits who've never seen them before.

I used to go to loads, the best was Finningley, (I think that was the name) cracker of an airshow.
The pilots really pushed it there in those days.
I remember being stood on the roof of my mates transit van when the Red Arrows did the bomb burst part of their routine.
One came right over my head by metres and I got knocked off by the backwash....top buzz!

The last one I went to was around 2004 (?) at Farnborough. My eldest daughter worked at Shell, and was a mate of the Aviation Fuel manager, so I got free tickets. Free food and drink at the Shell stand, followed by a great day out.

My (late) parents used to go to a caravan site near RAF Shawbury, and a guy living on the site drove a crew bus at the base, picking up visiting aircrew. He told my dad that there was an airshow at Cosford the following day, and most of the aircraft would be landing at Shawbury prior to their displays "down the road", the Red Arrows arriving at 1pm. Naturally, we went down to watch.

We were told to park up near the crash gate at the hold point for the runway, and there should be no problems standing there. At 1pm EXACTLY, the Arrows flew over the runway in the diamond formation, then peeled off and landed individually. We were there until 5pm, when they took off for their display at Cosford.

All the other display aircraft took off about 100 yards from our position - a great free airshow for us!

Was discussing air shows with the mrs a few days ago and she was a regular at most round the country.However..........living where we do,right under the Mach loop there's one every day. Standing at the window yesterday and an F15 looked like it was coming through the lounge, vortices and rivets everywhere, it was brilliant. When the Yanks, the Saudis and the RAF start playing together, it's brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.