Air Shows 2014

andyhinch said:
crazyg said:
denislawsbackheel said:
Used to love Woodford.
Yes, me too.

I was there when the Spitfire crashed. As he came out of the loop, I thought "he's too steep and too low" - I was right, unfortunately.

A tragic accident.
I grew up, just by Woodford, got a free show every year.

Yes, me too - used to live on Bridle Rd - many a drunken air show garden party. Saw 18 Red Arrows most years.

-dabz- said:
bellbuzzer said:
crazyg said:
Yes, me too.

I was there when the Spitfire crashed. As he came out of the loop, I thought "he's too steep and too low" - I was right, unfortunately.

A tragic accident.

you sure it wasn't the Mosquito, the inquest blamed icing in the carburettors which Rolls-Royce had issued a warning/fix for but they had not been carried out
It was a Spitfire. Being rebuilt in the Isle of Wight apparently. The mosquito was Barton.
I was told it was a Mk17 Spitfire. I'm amazed it's being rebuilt, as there wasn't much left of it after hitting the ground at around 300mph.

IIRC, the next display was to have been the individual SU27 "Flanker", but I saw him turn round on the taxiway immediately after the crash.

Tuearts right boot said:
1961_vintage said:
Tuearts right boot said:
Was discussing air shows with the mrs a few days ago and she was a regular at most round the country.However..........living where we do,right under the Mach loop there's one every day. Standing at the window yesterday and an F15 looked like it was coming through the lounge, vortices and rivets everywhere, it was brilliant. When the Yanks, the Saudis and the RAF start playing together, it's brilliant.

Do they publicise when these take place?

I've long fancied putting my camera skills to the test trying to photograph these but wasn't sure if it's an everyday event?

They don't come through at weekends or bank holidays,this is a touristy area and I think they try to respect the rest days,although most people here don't mind........There are plenty of ridges where guys set up their cameras,some of the photos are stunning and I'm sure the pilots play to the crowd.I think for security they wont publisice just a question of climbing and waiting. They come through most days,some more than others and some guys have the radios and listen to the pilots. The Yanks fly up from their bases in the south whilst the Saudis usually come through when their planes are over here for servicing,upgrading etc etc

OK mate thanks very much.

Just got back from Cosford - top day.

Highlights were Canberra, Typhoon, Red Arrows, Vulcan and Blades.

The only downside was the traffic - 2hours queuing to get on from M54 and 90 minutes queuing just to get put at the end.

Already looking forward to Farnborough and have half a mind to visit Fairford as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.