Al-Nassr to be (maybe) invited into the 2024/25 Champions League?

Fucking joke. They care more about Saudi money that actual European clubs. The reality is that if a Saudi team is allowed to buy their way into the competition, it'll be some Polish or Norwegian team that have qualified legitimately that misses out.

And this idea that it would raise the profile of the CL is hilarious. That'd be like Beyonce going out with Peter Andre and someone claiming that she's only doing it to raise her profile.
c67cf111e3df948d0e9ca7e1875eb401.gif

Australia has participated 8 times in the Eurovision Song Contest since its debut in 2015, the second country outside of the Eurasia region to take part in the contest after Morocco in 1980.
They can win it but cannot host it. They must nominate another European country to do it, probably to do with not dragging every other competing country over to Sydney Opera House.
They have to go through a qualifying round now and do not go directly to the final.
Azerbaijan and Israel also in Eurovision.

Got this info from Graham Norton.
Yeah, I know all that, what's your point?

Mine was on the basis that allowing a Saudi club into a competition meant for UEFA members kind of devalues the integrity of the competition and instead of it being one of prestige and merit it becomes a mere popularity contest, which no-one wants.

Yeah, I know all that, what's your point?

Mine was on the basis that allowing a Saudi club into a competition meant for UEFA members kind of devalues the integrity of the competition and instead of it being one of prestige and merit it becomes a mere popularity contest, which no-one wants.
My point is the same as yours.
No logical reason to be in it but, once they got in, have remained there.

Funnily enough , 2 of the most recent away matches I saw in the All Ireland football championship were against New York and London.

There are matches in London in the NFL.

Greed may allow teams from outside normal boundaries to participate.

Good. I just don't see why the European leagues would basically offer a leg up to what could become a major threat to their dominance. They can only become a major threat if they're playing in major competitions, so maybe they should focus on raising the profile of their own competitions.

But let's be honest, the next stage will be a Saudi trying to get elected into one of the top jobs in UEFA.

Thought this would be sneeked in over the next 5 years or so but I guess enough promises to the right people can move things along a tad.
It's a fucking disgrace if this goes ahead and every single tiny detail should be scrutinised because I'm not having payments haven't been made. Not a fucking chance.
Would alll parties involved care to hand over ALL of their financial documentation over the last 5 years for scrutiny??

Utter bollocks. How on earth can the president of UEFA know more than some guesswork merchants on the internet?
Actually, if he gives Rishi a call, he can add it to the new legislation he's bringing in and re draw the international boundaries to include SA into Europe.
There is a precedent, a bit like Eurovision with Israel and Australia.

On the basis of their popularity?

In my opinion, that's ridiculous. I always thought that qualification for the CL was dependent on what a club achieved on the pitch, not how many clicks it gets on social media. I won't bother bringing up the fact that they aren't in Europe, as there is a precedent for non-European clubs playing in the CL. Maccabi Haifa, for example. Unless there's some underlying reason for them to be playing in European, rather than Asian club competition.

And I don't suppose there'd be any financial incentive for UEFA to invite Al-Nassr into the CL?

It would be the end of FFP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.