Alan Sugar

For somebody to see a group of black athletes, competing at the absolute pinnacle of their profession and their brain somehow associate that with people selling counterfeit goods on a beach thousands of miles away, IS disrespectful and offensive. I don't even know how he made that reach, there's no other elements at play that lead you to make that association. They're not on a beach, there's no items floating around that people would usually sell on a beach and they're not dressed like beach vendors. It's literally only the colour of their skin he's going off there.

If you went to see a doctor and he was black, would you make the joke "oh it's funny seeing you here, think i saw you selling knock off sunglasses on the beach in Marbella last week." Of course you wouldn't.

Why do assume the glasses these people are selling are fake? Because they’re black? Pretty racist don’t you think?

That’s where you’re wrong, because there’s the weight of history, of slavery, and what’s happening right now in America and to some extent here in the UK behind this tweeted image, it’s reinforcing decades of ingrained stereotyping, that black and Asian people have been fighting against. Who can forget Love thy neighbour, or Mind Your Language? Instead we now have the likes of the insidious Tommy Robinson, and Nigel Farage poking the fires of nationalism in a post brexit wasteland.
Mancs taunt scousers with the bin dipper, yosser Hughes jokes, fair enough, they give as good as they get, but once you bring race, and colour into the equation, it becomes a whole different ball game, that tickling stick, soon becomes a heavy stick to beat someone down with

Post brexit wasteland???

Decent post before that bit let it down.

That’s where you’re wrong, because there’s the weight of history, of slavery, and what’s happening right now in America and to some extent here in the UK behind this tweeted image, it’s reinforcing decades of ingrained stereotyping, that black and Asian people have been fighting against. Who can forget Love thy neighbour, or Mind Your Language? Instead we now have the likes of the insidious Tommy Robinson, and Nigel Farage poking the fires of nationalism in a post brexit wasteland.
Mancs taunt scousers with the bin dipper, yosser Hughes jokes, fair enough, they give as good as they get, but once you bring race, and colour into the equation, it becomes a whole different ball game, that tickling stick, soon becomes a heavy stick to beat someone down with

I am not really old enough to remember love thy neighbour but wasn’t the premise of the program to make the white racist neighbour look a bit, well thick and racist with the joke always on him and the black guy laughing at him ?

Well, i could, if a white team had posed with a layout of sunglasses. WTF is that about? Its just a shit joke about the sunglasses, but he should have realized what the reaction would be and restrained himself. Suppose a black player missed a crucial penalty for England, would a pizza joke commercial be racist? Bandwaggoners inc.

Its photoshopped. Like to change tour tune?

This has fuckall to do with that shite 'Alf Garnett' tweet but the word 'racist' is getting watered down so much these days that being called one doesn't seem to have the same impact on people as it used to. You could be called a fuckin Nazi for the shittiest of things these days. People subjected to racism must be cringing at the 'throw away' tag chucked at people today, for the slightest of things, after all the shite they have to go through. Fucking middle classed Liberals and our media have a lot to answer for.
Correct, their are to many outraged by trivial things said and done in bad taste, but they can’t see that they are causing just as much harm

This was another 'joke' knocking about on twitter over the last few days.

Poland fans have gone on the rampage in Moscow. Police say 300 cars have been washed, waxed and hoovered.

Now, both are equally insulting in my eyes. Only the Alan Sugar one was seen as racist though, with the other laughed off and seen as being funny by many people.
Why's that?

Who posted that polish joke?

Not that it should matter, as both are stereotyping a nation, however due to the way a bellend like sugar is a high profile tv celebrity, his commemts to many lend more weight to re-enforcing such stereotypes.

The same supposed jokes would probably be heard on a shop floor or in a pub somewhere made to people in a group of friends, and though still distastefull to many, no one would bat an eyelid (maybe some in said group would say bit much that).
Sugar a man who, and god knows why, has opinions that carry weight due to his minor celebrity status, and he should know that he has influence and such a comment is deregatory or offensive to the majority of the senegalese and wider african people.

This isn't the first time or the first thread on this, he has been called out for sexism, racism, calling people fat and general twatish behaviour, the man is a prick, like many on twitter, but as a tv personality his voice is heard more so he should show some sense.

If he wants to sit with his mates or like minded people and privately espouse this opinion, fine that is his choice in a private setting even though those opinions are against mine and even if you don't agree with it he is free to say it, and for me that is fine but on a global public message system, don't be a prick without expecting to be called one.

Man is a **** in my opinion anyway before this though.

Last edited:
I am not really old enough to remember love thy neighbour but wasn’t the premise of the program to make the white racist neighbour look a bit, well thick and racist with the joke always on him and the black guy laughing at him ?
Yup. It was a social commentary exposing racial views against immigrants invited to our country after the war.

It's racist is the cry.

Alf Garnet was the same. Done to expose racism/ bigotry.

Racist bastard.

This on the other hand is a complete cocksnot trying to be funny. Pandering to his hordes. The ****.

Let's have it right it's a racial stereotyping from him and it's fucking ridiculous.

Yes we all laugh at things of a similar nature at times, all scousers wear wigs and shell suits etc but he has gone too far, knows full well the reaction he would get and is now trying to hide behind a its only humour defence that really isnt there im afraid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.