Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

after last tuesdays relapse, I did similar
on saturday v the rags, i drank about half a bottle of vodka going down on the coach,all the time hiding it from my son,who in turn might have told his mum Id been drinking,all felt a bit wierd drinking in secret, guilt ,excitement ,sadness.
Im going to the champs league final from thursday and i will be drinking on the day of the final,out of sight out of mind etc.
Iv proved to myself i can go three months without, but i dont want to turn into a " secret drinker " .
A few words of encouragement and goodwill from my wife would have prevented my initial relapse,but is that me just being needy and a soft arse.
It was all for her at the start and I got not one word of praise or encouragement.
Blaming your wife for your relapse is a bit rich, only you can change if you really want to, her still being married and with you after suffering years of your drinking should show you how supportive she’s been, sometimes you need to man up and not blame other people for your relapses but yourself

Blaming your wife for your relapse is a bit rich, only you can change if you really want to, her still being married and with you after suffering years of your drinking should show you how supportive she’s been, sometimes you need to man up and not blame other people for your relapses but yourself
Fair comment
truth is,i don't really want to give up,but I have to,so I'm feeling sorry for myself,too honest by far me.

Fair comment
truth is,i don't really want to give up,but I have to,so I'm feeling sorry for myself,too honest by far me.

Commendable honesty. You've abstained before, and you can do it again. But I'd say that it has to be for you, not anybody else - I think that's the only way to sustain a long term effort.

Whenever I am offered a drink now I keep a post from @Marklr in mind. I can't have even one enjoyable drink. I don't go as far into detail as I do on here but I've even started telling this to people when they ask me if I want one. I'd still be up doing it long after they've gone to bed.

Commendable honesty. You've abstained before, and you can do it again. But I'd say that it has to be for you, not anybody else - I think that's the only way to sustain a long term effort.

Whenever I am offered a drink now I keep a post from @Marklr in mind. I can't have even one enjoyable drink. I don't go as far into detail as I do on here but I've even started telling this to people when they ask me if I want one. I'd still be up doing it long after they've gone to bed.
It's like we now have an allergy...one drop of alcohol and our reactions are extreme.

It bothered me a little that I got a text to go out last night (there’s a great karaoke evening every Monday) but I made up an excuse not to go as I wasn’t up for a drink. I’m still not. I don’t want my social life to suffer at the same time.

YouTube are showing West Ham v Fiorentina tomorrow so there’s no need for a pub there. I may stay in Friday too and relax after what should be a good first week in my new job. It is so far.

I love going up the pub to see the chaps but I need to think about me too.
I gave up all my pub friends……I knew I had to …..

after last tuesdays relapse, I did similar
on saturday v the rags, i drank about half a bottle of vodka going down on the coach,all the time hiding it from my son,who in turn might have told his mum Id been drinking,all felt a bit wierd drinking in secret, guilt ,excitement ,sadness.
Im going to the champs league final from thursday and i will be drinking on the day of the final,out of sight out of mind etc.
Iv proved to myself i can go three months without, but i dont want to turn into a " secret drinker " .
A few words of encouragement and goodwill from my wife would have prevented my initial relapse,but is that me just being needy and a soft arse.
It was all for her at the start and I got not one word of praise or encouragement.
It sounds like you kind of already are a secret drinker?

Honestly, the first stage of recovery is admitting to yourself that you have an issue with alcohol. Normally by this stage, your loved ones will already know this. If they don't, now is the time to tell them. It's then a case of sitting down and talking it through with them, being brutally honest. Alcohol issues can be very difficult overcome, and especially without the help and support of family and friends. People can't even begin to help you if they don't know what the actual problem is.

You've got to want it.

How to start.
Stop drinking on a specific day/date which suits you.
Change your social routine.
Say to friends that you are ill and you are taking advice from your doctor who has recommended that you cut down and preferably stop.
It isn't the easiest thing to do, but your words seem like a cry for help.
If you can't manage to summon up the willpower to do it on your own there are organisations you can turn to
Good Luck to you in your new life.
Your first point really worked for me,, I drunk unhealthily any day, so with help I stopped drinking Monday’s, Tuesdays and wednesdays..
friends and family soon got used to the idea that despite anything going on, football, birthdays etc I just wouldn’t be drinking..
For me it helped in two ways , I felt good, more energy also made it easier for me to not drink at other times ..
We are all different I know but this was a great stepping stone for me, drinking less and sometimes not at all .. Best of luck to you all

Your first point really worked for me,, I drunk unhealthily any day, so with help I stopped drinking Monday’s, Tuesdays and wednesdays..
friends and family soon got used to the idea that despite anything going on, football, birthdays etc I just wouldn’t be drinking..
For me it helped in two ways , I felt good, more energy also made it easier for me to not drink at other times ..
We are all different I know but this was a great stepping stone for me, drinking less and sometimes not at all .. Best of luck to you all
I'm so glad to know that I've been of help in some small way.
I'm on holiday at the mo so I am having a drink or two now and again. I'll be back on the wagon when I return home though.
My thought is that if I've done it once, I can bloody well do it again!
Good luck to you and yours.
(It is worth it!)

Fair comment
Have you ever spoken to a doctor or counsellor over your drinking? It's good for SOME people.
Humans are strange creatures...we put crazy poisons in our bodies just to travel to a football match. Or anything. Is it vital to enjoy ourselves?
I found that I enjoy it all being clear-headed. Better, clearer memories afterwards. That feeling of everything being boring WITHOUT alcohol eventually goes away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.