Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

I'm not trying to be a clever sod here but £150pw on drink = £7,800 over the year.
Whatever - it's a hell of a lot of money to be spending on booze.
I spend about £15-30 pw on alcohol free beer (sometimes less) and am very aware of what I am spending.

Yes I worked it out as £600 per month X 12 months. He's spending about £50 a night on booze when he's out, that's in about 5 hours.
I guess everything looks expensive when you add it up and you have to spend your money on something. For me personally it's excessive. I couldn't drink that much in a night I'd be wiped out.

I've actually not had a drink since 29th August (29 days) and feel great for it. Feel like I'm slowly losing weight, walking and running more, I'm sleeping better and actually going into work earlier so I can finish early!

I'm going Wolves Saturday which will be my first away where I haven't had a drink in a very long time. I'm debating either having a few at Arsenal and being more sensible (4/6 pints limit) or going completely dry.
Usually I'd have 4/5 cans on the train down, more before the game a few in the ground and then more after. Which was a struggle in the week until I felt better and then did it again!

I got out of the habit of doing away days after lockdown. Sort of realised I was doing them out of habit to be honest.
I also went on a bit of a health kick starting to swim and later starting to run. I stopped drinking on the days before exercising to avoid feeling rubbish.
Also, in terms of both home matches & gigs, I stopped drinking pre event to actually remember what I was watching & avoid having to pee every few minutes.
I still drink socially, but mainly to try different real ales and craft beers, but only usually do it once, and ocassionally twice a week.
Last Saturday, was one of the cheapest home game days in a long time. I walked from town to the ground and back, had no booze all day, ate at home before and after the match, so only ended up spending money on a cup of tea at the ground to stay hydrated!
The end result is that I'm saving more money, sleeping better, losing weight and getting more out of my exercise.

I've actually not had a drink since 29th August (29 days) and feel great for it. Feel like I'm slowly losing weight, walking and running more, I'm sleeping better and actually going into work earlier so I can finish early!

I'm going Wolves Saturday which will be my first away where I haven't had a drink in a very long time. I'm debating either having a few at Arsenal and being more sensible (4/6 pints limit) or going completely dry.
Usually I'd have 4/5 cans on the train down, more before the game a few in the ground and then more after. Which was a struggle in the week until I felt better and then did it again!
I find it much harder to moderate drinking than I do to just stay dry.

There's a saying which is along the lines of:
When I have one drink, I turn into a different person. And that person drinks a lot...

That's me. I sort of admire people who can moderate but then I remember the effect that even a little alcohol has on me and I remind myself that it's all or nothing

When I have one drink, I turn into a different person. And that person drinks a lot...

That's me. I sort of admire people who can moderate but then I remember the effect that even a little alcohol has on me and I remind myself that it's all or nothing
I cam empathise with you on that. I'm always tempted to have 'just one', but I'm extremely worried that the floodgates would open and I'm back to square one. So I don't have that 'one'. Every day. And those gates stay shut.

I cam empathise with you on that. I'm always tempted to have 'just one', but I'm extremely worried that the floodgates would open and I'm back to square one. So I don't have that 'one'. Every day. And those gates stay shut.
Exactly this! Every morning I log into my tracker to reinforce my decision to not have a drink that day. The days eventually rack up. And more importantly, the benefits continue to outweigh the temptation for "one".

Congratulations on your 2 years btw. That's a fantastic achievement.

I bumped into an old schoolmate by chance at the Fulham game. We had a good chat about the old days and he told me he hadn't had a drink in 23 years. I had heard he used to be a heavy drinker a few years back. He almost lost his wife through it and his life was spiraling out of control. Good on him for turning it around and to you and everybody else who has.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.