Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Stick with it everyone. It's just over 2 years now since I stopped drinking and I've genuinely never felt better. I'm fitter, healthier, stronger and better mentally than I have been at any time in my adult life.
Impressive, great to hear you are reaping the benefits

That's fantastic to hear! It really is!

(A good friend of mine texted me today to tell me I have been dry for 500 days now. He's still counting whereas I've just accepted it as normal now. He has been very supportive and goes with me on most of my City travels. We've been so pissed in the past that we couldn't remember anything about the trips.

He says he has cut down nowadays too, even when I'm not around.)
That's brilliant mate, I remember the initial story and reasons, congratulations to you

My achievements are not as impressive as many, but i acknowledge the battle is against myself not others. That's me one third of OYNB completed and enjoying it. I'd be lying to say I don't miss the taste of certain drinks, I absolutely loved the taste but Guinness 0 has been an absolute god send to be fair. Now I just have one or two Guiness 0 for the taste instead of smashing 12. I miss the taste of a Malt Whisky (especially the peaty ones) but won't let that get in the way (again) of my goals.
My focus has been on lifting weights, not pints to improve my health, been smashing it in the gym, lost 15Kg whilst significantly improving muscle to fat ratio. I know it's a long battle ahead but want to thank all on here for your wise words and support for one another. Great community bluemoon

Last edited:
My achievements are not as impressive as many, but i acknowledge the battle is against myself not others. That's me one third of OYNB completed and enjoying it. I'd be lying to say I don't miss the taste of certain drinks, I absolutely loved the taste but Guinness 0 has been an absolute god send to be fair. Now I just have one or two Guiness 0 for the taste instead of smashing 12. I miss the taste of a Malt Whisky (especially the peaty ones) but won't let that get in the way (again) of my goals.
My focus has been on lifting weight, not pints to improve my health, been smashing it in the gym, lost 15Kg whilst significantly improving muscle to fat ratio. I know it's a long battle ahead but want to thank all on hear for your wise words and support for one another. Great community bluemoon

Well done! Getting back to fitness is the next step for me too. I've been a little excessively kind to myself with food since stopping with drink and my face has become a little round. Thankfully I'm fortunate that my body has always reacted quickly and well to exercise (this might still be age, I'm 32 next weekend), but a month or so of good diet and regular exercise will cut weight for sure. Didnt realise it at the time but I was in very good shape before COVID largely through a regime of bodyweight exercise and boxing training (bag work only, no interest in competition)

I ended up doing 18 days in Jan and first 2 in Feb. Went out for a pint with the lads last night and had 3 and had half a bottle of red tonight. Hopefully that’s it for a few days now. The target is 150 no drinking days this year and am up to 20 so far which is 2/3 of what I managed in the whole of last year so ok with that so far. Didn’t really miss it on the dry days but enjoyed in when I have had one too.
It sounds like you have control over your drinking life. It's all good!

Well done! Getting back to fitness is the next step for me too. I've been a little excessively kind to myself with food since stopping with drink and my face has become a little round. Thankfully I'm fortunate that my body has always reacted quickly and well to exercise (this might still be age, I'm 32 next weekend), but a month or so of good diet and regular exercise will cut weight for sure. Didnt realise it at the time but I was in very good shape before COVID largely through a regime of bodyweight exercise and boxing training (bag work only, no interest in competition)
Thanks mate we'll keep at it!
That's fair enough mate, it's what works for you. I've been looking forward to the gym, eating much healthier but still eating well. I don't see any point in stopping enjoying your grub, I'm eating lots of steak and surprisingly not craved a bottle of red (a nice excuse) with it. Bagwork will be great for weight loss and conditioning, get after it!

Last edited:
My focus has been on lifting weights, not pints to improve my health, been smashing it in the gym, lost 15Kg whilst significantly improving muscle to fat ratio. I know it's a long battle ahead but want to thank all on here for your wise words and support for one another. Great community bluemoon
You're absolutely right in saying that it's more important to recognise your progress against your past behaviours than it is to compare yourself against anyone else's current achievements.

I too miss the odd drink especially with food or in certain situations but the benefits of not drinking massively outweigh the buzz of that first sip. The quality sleep, the reduction of anxiety, the sheer amount of time I have now when I used to feel like a hamster on a treadmill.

If anyone needs an extra boost of support now that dry January is finished I'd highly recommend The Alcohol Experiment from Annie Grace. It's a free, 30 day program with daily videos and access to other participants. It really helps to challenge some of the preconceptions around alcohol and drinking culture. It won't appeal to everyone but its worth a try.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.