Alexander Kolarov

Grand Master Ram Rod said:
Elcor said:
I'd absolutely love to see Silva/AJ/Milner/Nasri up against Kolarov.

I don't think that any single player can stop Silva, but I am quite certain that he would easily handle other three.
I don't know if you're being serious or not?

You can add Micah to that as well by the way.

I am not saying that he is "The Ultimate LB Player" but yes, I believe he is a great player. quite different from Clichy, and that is, in my opinion, why he is very valuable to Mancini. He can offer something different compared to him, which can and is being very useful. Yes, Clichy is better in defending, I agree to that, but when it comes to going forward, Kolarov would be my choice, hence him being used in the games where he might have more space on his side. Can you say that Clichy is better when it comes to attacking part of the game?

Comrade Buka said:
nomadic said:
Do think that richards and Clichy seem to time their runs better though, than Kolorov and Zab.

Zab was pretty shite yday to be honest.
All down to Adam Johnson mate (said this in the Mancini-Johnson thread). Johnson was quite good on the ball yesterday but defensively he was very poor. He left Zaba exposed for the whole game, Zaba was left 1v2 dozens of times and it's exactly why we conceded the second goal and exactly why Mancini said what ge said about Johnson after the game and exactly why he doesn't start mire games. I felt sorry for Zaba last night.

I like him as a player and because of his sense of humor, he is probably one of my favorite players in City...

I think we have got 4 excellent full-backs and with both on each flank offering different things that gives Bobby Manc great flexibility depending on the opposition.

Elcor said:
Elcor said:
I believe that none of you would like to see him in the opponents' team. and that alone is a proof enough for the haters. he is an excellent player and Mancini knows that. Do you really think he would be playing at all in this City team if he wasn't great player?

I don't think that any single player can stop Silva, but I am quite certain that he would easily handle other three.

Cleverley could stop Silva with his hands behind his back.

Elcor said:
Elcor said:
I believe that none of you would like to see him in the opponents' team. and that alone is a proof enough for the haters. he is an excellent player and Mancini knows that. Do you really think he would be playing at all in this City team if he wasn't great player?

Never mind those 4, the players he can't handle are the ones with pace. He was getting murdered by journeymen and kids at times
Last year.

I haven't seen a single one of you address that issue yet.

Poor defensive positioning, lack of pace, off-target shooting. He definitely has improved, but has a long way to go to catch Clichy, who is at least as good in attack and is a far better defender.

Having said that, he suffers from our left-wing blind spot, which makes a run from left back so frustrating for the player concerned.
I haven't got any stats on the ratio of left-wing passes compared to right-wing, but if I was wide on our left side, I'd be playing holy hell with our mid-field.

Why do we let Kolarov (goal against Napoli noted) take every freekick within 35 yards of goal? There is so much creative talent available I just think it's a waste more often than not.

Didsbury Dave said:
Elcor said:

Never mind those 4, the players he can't handle are the ones with pace. He was getting murdered by journeymen and kids at times
Last year.

I haven't seen a single one of you address that issue yet.

Because we're not talking about last year?

Jimmy Kebe, I think you're talking about. He was a player in top form. He murdered Baines, in fact Everton lost that game almost exclusively from attacks down that side. Kebe ran time and time again at Kola but we didn't come that close to conceding. The main problem in that game was a total lack of movement up front.

It's a more difficult position to play than it used to be, for tactical reasons. An experienced guy like Evra can concede three goals in three minutes. Clichy was stigmatised as the cause of much of Arsenal's defensive problems last year. Cole did absolutely nothing last year.

The left back is part of a grand tactical scheme. The guy in front of him is actually an attacker in a free role. The left back has to do his bit and defend in the box, defend his flank, but he also HAS to attack extremely aggressively, because if he doesn't, or if the rest of the team are slow in transition, don't circulate, drag the right players about, or if they just lose concentration, then the entire thing sort of collapses.

I'm not pretending he doesn't have his limitations, but surely you can see that he's capable of winning us games. That's incredibly rare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.