The economy is in the shitter and nearly every candidate is pledging neo-liberal policies to make it worse for the poorer 80% of the population. Sunak is probably the only one slightly in touch with reality but there’s no way he’s improving things in the short term and he is nearly as responsible as Johnson for the mess we’re in now anyway. It may be appropriate PR for Labour to look like they want an early election but it’s doubtful they could improve things in the short term anyway so they’re better off winning an election in a couple of years when the economy is at its worst because there’s a better chance that they could make a tangible positive difference. Doesn’t help us in the short term but as a country we’re fucked anyway.
This is a very good point IMO. While I think Johnson leaving should give the Tories a better chance of winning the next election, even if they get someone half competent like Sunak in, he's not going to be able to wave a magic wand and make millions of us better off. The cost of living crisis is here for the foreseeable and even though it's over 2 years until the next GE I just can't see much of an improvement by the time it comes round. As such, many will (rightly or wrongly) blame the Tories for it just like in 2010 when many blamed Labour for the global financial crisis.

As you say, they'd have backed him because the alternative is that the govt falls and there's a general election.

It got rejected this time because you can't have a VoNC in the prime minister, only in the govt. I assume that this follows from the fact that it is the govt that is elected, and not the PM.

There was no good way out for the govt on this.
The VoNC was in the government as long as Johnson was PM, which would have forced them to get rid straight away had it gone through, and made them look ridiculous supporting him if the vote failed. It was a no win situation for the government, and that includes blocking the motion.
Labour played it well.

Big misstep from Labour. Not quite as bad as JC agreeing to an election in 2019 but not great.
They should have tabled this before he resigned as leader, as you’d have had Tory MP’s not having a clue what to do! Start putting letters in, resignations starting but they’d then have to either support the Johnson government, which would have exposed them massively or not, and election ensues. You do wonder who’s running their election strategy and whether it’s a secret Tory!
I know Blair and Campbell are not well liked but they wouldn’t have missed that open goal.
I disagree a confidence vote would have galvanised more around him. Now was the time and this is more of sticking the boot in whilst he's down which in Johnson's case I have no problem with.

That 0.5% growth is largely boosted by people finally going to GP appointments which is accounted for in services. Not entirely sure that points to a ‘healthy’ economy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.