Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to chime in on the 'they'll be happy if we win things' POV. It's total bullshit and I'm speaking from experience. I played travel baseball and AAU basketball (think academy level) from youth until my late teens. I was on the best teams in the state (hundreds of teams) and was the 10th or 11th best out of 12-15 players. I didn't play often and when I did it was vs garbage teams or I'd come in late in blowouts. On paper I played 3/10 games which isn't terrible but in reality I basically didn't add anything to the team and wasn't trusted in the vital moments. You aren't happy to win things, you're embarrassed and humiliated. You feel like you aren't good enough to be at the highest level (what every serious athlete needs to believe to maximize their chances).

It would piss me off when the coach would throw me in for the final few minutes in a blowout (think Sterling being put on for 5m in a 2-0 game). That's really not doing much positive for him psychologically ... but he gets a game on the stats sheet. I 'loved it' when Carlitos told Bobby Manc to F off, I'm not warming up, in the CL because that's what many of the second choice players dream of doing.

My final two years I dropped down to a lower rated squad and was the best player. We didn't win as much, which is never fun, but I felt valued and 'more alive' and that's more important than winning when you don't contribute much. It feels 'fake' and not as enjoyable as it appears on the outside.

Am I an outlier? I don't think so but if you think 'it's cool...they are fine, they are winning things' ... well then you're just lying to yourself. You can't be vocal or outspoken about your unhappiness in the situation because it's a bad look for yourself and comes off as a poor sport.
The 'Milner Conudrum'. It is quite common what you felt. Backup positions at top teams are mostly for aging legends looking for a last trophy and young up and comers who are trying to make a name. No middle of their career player wants to ever be a backup. Imagine if Robben and Do Maria had chosen to stay at Madrid and be backup when they could star at a slightly lower level.

Even though his productivity is incredible, his passing accuracy is surprisingly poor.
Its not surprising though. His technique has never been the best. His dribbling, intensity, intelligence and mentality is what he thrives on. Like a dribbling version of Debryune.

Not when it could be the difference between champions league football (money) and the Europa league for not just next season but the following few seasons after. Losing £50 million is worth it to secure a champions league place and i suspect Wenger will have made this clear before signing a new contract.
He doesn't guarantee them CL football as this season proved.

Sound like diva? Tell that to shaqiri, nolito, Navas, and kelechi to name a few. Let me paint you a picture and clear this up. 5 into 3 = 60%, higher with substitutions. Player A plays 4 outta 6 games, 66%, scores 2 and assists 1. We start out 5-1-0. Fantastic, right? Winning and rotation works for happiness! Wrong. He started and scored a brace in the milk cup, assisted in a start v swansea, was a sub vs west brom and stoke...but was dropped completely for Arsenal and United. He went from one of the first names on the team sheet and a vital piece for country to 5th/5 in the pecking order in a World Cup year without seemingly doing anything wrong. Yeah, he's jumping for joy in the locker room. Lemme tell ya. It's not 5 into 3 anyway. It's 6 with Bernardo. The player is obviously Raz and he'll be the one affected by this the most.

The issue is rotation and keeping players happy so I'm very much on this issue.

It doesn't actually matter if the player is not getting game time, if he isn't deserving game time.

If all the players are deserving game time, they will get plenty of it. The ones who don't, should then leave.

Offer them £60m and get it done, impossible to turn that down with a year left and he will be worth every penny when we lift the Champions League.

Not when it could be the difference between champions league football (money) and the Europa league for not just next season but the following few seasons after. Losing £50 million is worth it to secure a champions league place and i suspect Wenger will have made this clear before signing a new contract.
I suspect it would slightly depend on how they perceive Sanchez's attitude. If they think he would try 100% and be a team player for a year and then go they might risk the loss on a free transfer. If they think he would hang around poisoning the atmosphere they will sell him.

He doesn't guarantee them CL football as this season proved.

I know that but if they're to stand any chance of getting back into it they surely need to keep both Sanchez and Ozil. If they don't get back in straight away, i see them falling behind like United did after Fergie, only, they don't have the appeal or the funds to buy their way back, and for that reason it's imperative Arsenal finish top 4 next season. I also find it difficult to believe Wenger would stay for another two years and see them decline into a Europa league side and further tarnish his legacy. Hope i'm wrong but i'm just not seeing any reason for them to sell this summer.

I suspect it would slightly depend on how they perceive Sanchez's attitude. If they think he would try 100% and be a team player for a year and then go they might risk the loss on a free transfer. If they think he would hang around poisoning the atmosphere they will sell him.

That would be our only hope of getting him imo. Unfortunately, i don't see him doing that. It's a world cup year, he might have a strop and a moan but when the window closes he'd knuckle down for the year with the world cup waiting and knowing he can leave in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.