All Star Premier League Game

Please tell me what the advantage of an all star game is, North vs South, ?

The Premier League is coming under increasing pressure to come under government regulation and give more money to the football pyramid. That's going to get much worse in the next 9 months because of the energy crisis lower league teams literally can't keep the lights on and some will go bankrupt.

Boehly's idea to use it to generate money for the pyramid is clever because it becomes a massive, very visible thing for the Premier League to point to as benefitting lower league clubs while actually committing very little money (£200m+ of new money takes nothing away from the clubs) while also serving their own expansion plans.

They'd probably host it around the world, they'd use it to sell the league and keep themselves ahead of everyone else. The London NFL games have shown that these pilot events are really good drivers of bringing in new fans, that's why Baseball and the NBA has copied them. So that's the advantage for the owners.

For fans, it's no less interesting than the Audi Cup or Emirates Trophy in preseason.

The Premier League is coming under increasing pressure to come under government regulation and give more money to the football pyramid. That's going to get much worse in the next 9 months because of the energy crisis lower league teams literally can't keep the lights on and some will go bankrupt.

Boehly's idea to use it to generate money for the pyramid is clever because it becomes a massive, very visible thing for the Premier League to point to as benefitting lower league clubs while actually committing very little money (£200m+ of new money takes nothing away from the clubs) while also serving their own expansion plans.

They'd probably host it around the world, they'd use it to sell the league and keep themselves ahead of everyone else. The London NFL games have shown that these pilot events are really good drivers of bringing in new fans, that's why Baseball and the NBA has copied them. So that's the advantage for the owners.

For fans, it's no less interesting than the Audi Cup or Emirates Trophy in preseason.
Are you on commission?

IF our game does come under Government regulation it's over, the Premier league generates an incredible amount of cash and I totally agree that lower league teams should get some sort of help from it.

But football as we all know has a very strange business model and I would guarantee if millions went into the lower leagues from the Premier a vast majority would disappear or simply be wasted.

But the last thing anyone needs is the hand of HMG involved.

I’m just capable of weighing up an idea on its merits instead of having a mindless knee jerk rejection of anything new or American.
Kind of. You’ve found what you perceive as positives.

What happens when City say “do one” when asked to release players?

Soccer Aid to fund lighting bills won’t be as widely donated to.

It wouldn’t. International football shows that it’s worse because teams don’t play together often enough.

The imagine it as an international friendly, where the result doesn’t matter, it’s just played so the players get a ring or some other token shite.

What you’ve created is Soccer Aid.

exactly why i wouldn't care about it, just a bunch of star players having a kick about

Oh I’m sure he could get the votes given the reality is this would only impact the top teams.

If you look at the Sky mock ups as an example of the potential North and South teams, the North was all City and Liverpool with two from United, and the South was mostly Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham with one from West Ham.

For the rest, it’s pretty much a free pass.

And given Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal are all US owned - and ENIC at Spurs might as well be - then I doubt he’d struggle for votes.

The problem I was highlighting was this would cost a fortune in a way it simply doesn’t in the US, as the League would have to negotiate with the individual clubs to release their players, as they wouldn’t be playing for their clubs anymore - which would not be easy.

Let’s look at City - who (based on the mock ups) would be required to release Ederson, Dias, Cancelo, de Bruyne, Rodri and Haaland. And that’s just for the starting 11.

Given the risk is all with City for those players, I’d imagine we’d be asking for a small fortune to release them. Replicate that across the rest of the top 6, and that’s a chunk of your profits eaten up already.

That problem simply doesn’t exist in the MLS, with central player contracting.

Then look at the lack of evidence of any market or appetite for watching a North/South team in comparison to the US.

The East and West split over there is fundamental to the MLS. The competition between the coasts is a real, established and marketable concept. Hence it can raise the kind of figures he’s talking about.

There’s nothing suggesting the same market exists over here, where the club’s links to their cities are way more ingrained.

So you’ve got much higher costs, and a much less established market. Therefore less profit for the League.

It works in the US because the League structure is completely different to the PL.

Putting aside all other arguments, purely from a commercial perspective - with our model over here, it’s a shit idea.

Releasing players is not an issue. For starters the clubs own the league, so if the clubs vote for it to go through they will have considered releasing players.

Secondly compensation for players to play outside their clubs is already very well litigated in the sport. Every time there is an international match UEFA and FIFA compensate the clubs, and every time a player misses time from injury suffered in an international game, FIFA compensates the club.

The problem you’re presenting as unsurpassable has already been solved.

RE: Market interest, the UK isn’t the market. The premier league saturated the Uk market 25 years ago. It has been focusing on foreign markets and attracting new fans for decades now.

We aren’t the audience. I wouldn’t watch it, but the league doesn’t care because I already watch 60 games a season. They want some teenagers in Shanghai or Nebraska to see it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.