All Star Premier League Game

Kind of. You’ve found what you perceive as positives.

What happens when City say “do one” when asked to release players?

Soccer Aid to fund lighting bills won’t be as widely donated to.

For starters I think it's very naive to think City wouldn't support it. They jumped on the super league, and the 2 main target audiences will be America and China so CMC and Silver Lake would love it.

Secondly, they wouldn't have a choice. If 14 clubs vote through a rule change, the other 6 can't say "Uh no actually we won't follow that rule thank you".

I don't know why you're talking about donations. No one donates to the All-star games in US sport as far as I can tell. The money comes from sponsorship and TV rights.

The Premier League is coming under increasing pressure to come under government regulation and give more money to the football pyramid. That's going to get much worse in the next 9 months because of the energy crisis lower league teams literally can't keep the lights on and some will go bankrupt.

Boehly's idea to use it to generate money for the pyramid is clever because it becomes a massive, very visible thing for the Premier League to point to as benefitting lower league clubs while actually committing very little money (£200m+ of new money takes nothing away from the clubs) while also serving their own expansion plans.

They'd probably host it around the world, they'd use it to sell the league and keep themselves ahead of everyone else. The London NFL games have shown that these pilot events are really good drivers of bringing in new fans, that's why Baseball and the NBA has copied them. So that's the advantage for the owners.

For fans, it's no less interesting than the Audi Cup or Emirates Trophy in preseason.

Not sure how it would raise the profile of the sport any more to any regular friendly game between say Barcelona and City in the US. If you can get all the stars on the pitch then it might create a bit of extra fan demand I suppose.

My other problem with it is this; Is the premier league not regarded as the best league due to its competitiveness? A friendly where there is no competitiveness would surely likely damage the brand rather than enhance it. I just don’t see how this adds anything but maybe I’m just missing the obvious.

Good idea on flowing the revenue downwards though

So you’re saying it’s a crap idea, but you want to see a half arsed kick about sponsored by Gutterbrushes that allows even less time for players to recover over the summer?

as i picture it, an all star premier league team is quite intriguing in a way and if against America or something I can see that as pretty 'cool' … reality game might not live up to the expectation as players wouldn't treat it seriously and it would just have a friendly feel. so I don't see the harm either way - same for all the other Asia, American tournaments that happen pre season.

long as the PL and lower league aren't affected then fine by me

An All Star Football Game. Just perfect! I'd love it!!!

The only think that could possibly make such a game better is the perfect choice of announcer and co-commentator...

Gus Johnson is the obvious choice for announcer - and Ray Hudson, color commentator.

What an awesome idea.
====
The above was irony in case you didn't catch it. An All-Star Football game is just a stupid money grab which no one would be interested in watching.

Gush Johnson was the worst football commentator ever.

And color commentator Ray Hudson simply won't shut up during broadcasts. Extremely annoying.

as i picture it, an all star premier league team is quite intriguing in a way and if against America or something I can see that as pretty 'cool' … reality game might not live up to the expectation as players wouldn't treat it seriously and it would just have a friendly feel. so I don't see the harm either way - same for all the other Asia, American tournaments that happen pre season.

long as the PL and lower league aren't affected then fine by me
It’d be utterly contrived shite. The football calendar needs less games, not more.

Tactics would be redundant and it’d be played at a snail’s pace with tackling banned.

Pointless for football, but great for celeb culture.

English fans just don't go for these types of games.

I watched Rugby League as a teenager every week, and they tried to mimic the Australian State of Origin with Yorkshire vs Lancashire. Attendances were crap, they packed it in.

Between this and his dipshit academy comment, Boehly is going to be one long rage-bait while he's here.

For starters I think it's very naive to think City wouldn't support it. They jumped on the super league, and the 2 main target audiences will be America and China so CMC and Silver Lake would love it.

Secondly, they wouldn't have a choice. If 14 clubs vote through a rule change, the other 6 can't say "Uh no actually we won't follow that rule thank you".

I don't know why you're talking about donations. No one donates to the All-star games in US sport as far as I can tell. The money comes from sponsorship and TV rights.
It’s nowt like the super league?

I could very easily see Pep telling the players to sack it off. He’s big on the summer break being as long as possible for our players. Pay the £5m fine and move on.

Apologies, I didn’t realise that I couldn’t make the idea more fanciful and money spinning than the current shite idea. Mea culpa.

An All Star Football Game. Just perfect! I'd love it!!!

The only think that could possibly make such a game better is the perfect choice of announcer and co-commentator...

Gus Johnson is the obvious choice for announcer - and Ray Hudson, color commentator.

What an awesome idea.
====
The above was irony in case you didn't catch it. An All-Star Football game is just a stupid money grab which no one would be interested in watching.

Gush Johnson was the worst football commentator ever.

And color commentator Ray Hudson simply won't shut up during broadcasts. Extremely annoying.
Your forgetting cheerleaders, it’d definitely need them, probably play over 4 quarters to maximise advertising revenue and jobs a good un.

Not sure how it would raise the profile of the sport any more to any regular friendly game between say Barcelona and City in the US. If you can get all the stars on the pitch then it might create a bit of extra fan demand I suppose.

My other problem with it is this; Is the premier league not regarded as the best league due to its competitiveness? A friendly where there is no competitiveness would surely likely damage the brand rather than enhance it. I just don’t see how this adds anything but maybe I’m just missing the obvious.

Good idea on flowing the revenue downwards though

The PL currently uses preseason friendlies (often missing the best players) dotted around the world to attract new fans, so I don't think competitiveness really matters. I would imagine the novelty and well...All-Star... nature of the teams would attract the type of audiences they are after, which is new fans.

English fans just don't go for these types of games.

The Premier League hasn't been trying to appeal to domestic fans for 15 years, we are not the target audience for this, or the 39th game, or the Audi Cup or 12.30 and 8pm kick off times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.