All Star Premier League Game

It’s the future we will see if the American keep buying clubs all through Europe and down our leagues!

Americans will get to dictate our football history to come..

Hey the media hacks will love it because half them are in the yanks pockets already…

Releasing players is not an issue. For starters the clubs own the league, so if the clubs vote for it to go through they will have considered releasing players.

Secondly compensation for players to play outside their clubs is already very well litigated in the sport. Every time there is an international match UEFA and FIFA compensate the clubs, and every time a player misses time from injury suffered in an international game, FIFA compensates the club.

The problem you’re presenting as unsurpassable has already been solved.

RE: Market interest, the UK isn’t the market. The premier league saturated the Uk market 25 years ago. It has been focusing on foreign markets and attracting new fans for decades now.

We aren’t the audience. I wouldn’t watch it, but the league doesn’t care because I already watch 60 games a season. They want some teenagers in Shanghai or Nebraska to see it.

Mate - with respect, you’re missing my point.

The point isn’t that there aren’t solutions to releasing players. I’m aware International Football exists, so there is a mechanism for releasing players owned by Clubs for non-Club activity.

The point is the cost - which would be huge. Nothing insurmountable, but it does significantly limit the potential profitability of the idea.

FIFA can afford to do this because there is a huge market for international football. They know they will make enough money from people wanting to watch their countries play to make this a drop in the ocean.

The cost of paying the clubs to release their players makes total sense in this context, as the market is very well established and highly profitable.

Which comes to my second point. There is no clear market for North and South teams.

I wasn’t suggesting the UK was the market - I’m well aware of the profitability of our teams across the entire reach of our planet. For this to work, clearly it would need to tap into the existing foreign markets for PL clubs.

It’s worth pointing too that this is something the US game has never cracked. And that’s not me being petty, but it’s part of why this is so much easier - and makes more commercial sense - in the US.

As the market for these games in the US is largely internal, the perception of the Eastern/Western split is fundamental to the market opportunity over there. People who love the MLS buy into the East/West split, so are likely to pay to watch the games.

But the global fans of PL teams identify with their teams. They buy the shirts, set up supporters clubs, build their profiles on social media around their support for the clubs.

There’s nothing to suggest they’d give a shit about a North/South club to anything like the same degree.

Yes, I know people tune in to watch great players - but the jeopardy of their investment in the team is integral to the interest. That’s why international football works.

Boehly is assuming a PL without its major brands, and the personal investment they bring, will automatically hold the same appeal - and I’ve seen no evidence anywhere to suggest it will.

So my argument is its likely to cost a lot more, and make a lot less. Which simply isn’t a great model for anyone to be pushing.

I think the one thing he says that we really need to be suspicious of is the idea of a relegation’ play off. Should that gain any traction, and it might, it’s only a small step to having a ‘PL title‘ play off, similar to rugby league. There are advantages to finishing first but, ultimately, its all down to the last game of the season. Should city win 8/10 or something similar, it will become a huge attraction to the American owned clubs as it might well be the best way to stop any team achieving domestic dominance.
The TV companies, whilst railing against it in public, would be desperate for it in reality and I can see the marketing for it now…….

Once the Americans get the majority in premier league I can see this being put forward! You know what the likes of spurs Chelsea Arsenal and even Everton West Ham would vote for a premier league play offs!

Why!? These teams will have a better chance of winning the league…

I think the one thing he says that we really need to be suspicious of is the idea of a relegation’ play off. Should that gain any traction, and it might, it’s only a small step to having a ‘PL title‘ play off, similar to rugby league. There are advantages to finishing first but, ultimately, its all down to the last game of the season. Should city win 8/10 or something similar, it will become a huge attraction to the American owned clubs as it might well be the best way to stop any team achieving domestic dominance.
The TV companies, whilst railing against it in public, would be desperate for it in reality and I can see the marketing for it now…….

I think this would emerge in other countries first.

Germany has had a relegation play-off since 2008, and Bayern will win their 10th in a row soon, they're probably odds on to win 20 in a row before they mess up enough to drop one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.