All Star Premier League Game

shocked at how many think this is a good idea
and if this yank talking openly about these's stupid ideas imagine whats being said already behind closed doors
ssn right on board they can see pound notes on sky box office pouring in

are people forgetting end of season competitions like Emirates Cup, Audi Cup, Asia Trophy etc ?

All these are just money spinners, don't see how a one off All-Star Game is any different

It’s not different at all, but there’s been a very concerted effort to attack Todd Boehly in the media that is working.

I'm fascinated by how keenly the media has gone after him, and it reminds me so much of when City sacked Hughes.

"Clueless" "Coming into our sport...." "No understanding of football".

You can transplant it word for word to the abuse Mansour et al. got in 2009, just swap arab for yank. The story about him drawing up a team playing 4-4-3 is so obviously from someone with an axe to grind, and people are jumping down his throat for saying De Bruyne was from Chelsea's academy, when I'm 100% certain I've heard "respected pundits" say the same thing.

I suspect Thomas Tuchel doesn't have the clout with the English press to push this concerted campaign, so I'd hazard a guess it's coming from Marina Granovskaia and Petr Cech unhappy they've lost their jobs.

Not only is it a bonkers idea but picking whatever all star teams would lead to so much ridicule.
Would you have reps from every club, the genuine best players that year OR erm the most marketable players.
Who Picks the teams ?
Do we need to inform Everton ?
How many non Dipper/Rags get in ?
It’s just a Dumpster fire Boehly eh !

Of all the possible objections to this, I really don't know how you landed on "how will we pick the team!?!!" when there's already a PFA Team of The Year.

We already have a voting system. More than XI players get votes, there's already all the information gathered for a second XI.

are people forgetting end of season competitions like Emirates Cup, Audi Cup, Asia Trophy etc ?

All these are just money spinners, don't see how a one off All-Star Game is any different

It won’t work because it requires the Clubs to collaborate and agree to risk their multi-million pound investments to make more money for the League itself.

Clubs over here have developed individually and organically, and have cultivated their identity and distinctiveness based on the city they come from - with very close ties to their local areas and communities. These ties are what their success and identity has always been based on.

Their position in the League is based on their own competitiveness within a tiered League structure - not on the League itself. They have the opportunity to climb the League structure and compete at the top based entirely on their own performance. Or to drop out of it too. Clubs make commercial decisions and take risks to grow individually - and win or lose based on their own decisions.

Whilst the top teams all play in the same League, their success is seen as individual and based on merit.

In the US, franchises are owned and granted by the MLS - and owe their existence to a decision made by the League itself. Franchises are run entirely as businesses, granted and located based on an analysis of the potential commercial market in a city for an MLS team, and can in theory move cities if the market opportunity is more favourable elsewhere.

Whilst operated as franchises, the individual teams are still ‘owned’ by the League itself. The franchises owe their existence and their success to the League, so dance to their tune.

They are already split regionally between East and West to enable more teams in a league, and therefore more revenue, so already have a sense of ‘competition’ between East and West. And crucially there is a market based on this split.

Players are also owned collectively within the League, with their contracts being held centrally. They are the property of the League, not the individual clubs. The League can dictate what they do, and holds the liability if they get injured.

These are clear fundamental structural and commercial differences between the PL and the MLS.

Getting a group of entirely separately owned and managed Clubs to agree to put aside their individual differences and interests - not to mention their vital ties to their locations - and agree to risk the very best players they own (on who their individual success is based) to generate revenue for the League itself is a complete fucking nonsense.

The reality is to make this happen, the League would have to pay a fortune to the individual Clubs to get them to agree to release their players - which immediately limits the potential for a game like this to generate the kind of profit it would need to be worth its while.

In addition, there is no clear evidence of any fan interest in or market for a North/South team which would be capable of generating anywhere near the revenues he’s talking about anyway. He’s not operating in a market entirely based around a broad regional split over here.

Given the lack of a developed market, and the eye-watering costs needed to pay the individual clubs to release their players, I would suggest Boehly would have a tough time arguing this makes much financial sense at all. Which unfortunately seems to be the crux of his argument.

It works in the US because the League holds all the power, and ultimately owns all the franchise and player contracts. They own all the risk, and due to the structure over there are able to mandate a game like this irrespective of the individual franchise opinions.

The fact he seems to be brushing aside (or even worse, simply not grasping at all) the fundamental structural and commercial differences between the two League situations is both alarming and baffling for an owner of an English team.

Last edited:
Of all the possible objections to this, I really don't know how you landed on "how will we pick the team!?!!" when there's already a PFA Team of The Year.

We already have a voting system. More than XI players get votes, there's already all the information gathered for a second XI.
It was tongue in cheek

Complete joke, although it's no surprise with these Yanks, they will do all they can to destroy our beautiful game.

They don't understand our culture or our sports.

I think the one thing he says that we really need to be suspicious of is the idea of a relegation’ play off. Should that gain any traction, and it might, it’s only a small step to having a ‘PL title‘ play off, similar to rugby league. There are advantages to finishing first but, ultimately, its all down to the last game of the season. Should city win 8/10 or something similar, it will become a huge attraction to the American owned clubs as it might well be the best way to stop any team achieving domestic dominance.
The TV companies, whilst railing against it in public, would be desperate for it in reality and I can see the marketing for it now…….

I think the one thing he says that we really need to be suspicious of is the idea of a relegation’ play off. Should that gain any traction, and it might, it’s only a small step to having a ‘PL title‘ play off, similar to rugby league. There are advantages to finishing first but, ultimately, its all down to the last game of the season. Should city win 8/10 or something similar, it will become a huge attraction to the American owned clubs as it might well be the best way to stop any team achieving domestic dominance.
The TV companies, whilst railing against it in public, would be desperate for it in reality and I can see the marketing for it now…….
And dont forget a place in the play offs for the Historical coefficient clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.