Altercation at Terminal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that anybody is being apologist. They just want the Police to be effective and the Police are going to be the opposite of effective if a precedent is set which means they're too scared to act and do their job. The cost of subsequent inaction in another scenario could be far greater.

The chasm between “inaction” and the “action taken” is wide enough to fit the entire “appropriate police action” handbook in it.

The Police are also human and they shouldn't be elevated above human standards. I know @ChicagoBlue that you're involved in aviation so have you ever made a mistake and had to learn from it? Of course you will have, it's ridiculous to expect 100% standards.

No-one is expecting 100% standards, and a little “extras” might be expected during a scuffle and after having a female colleague decked and bloodied.

The question is “where does ‘extras’ begin and end?”

100% standards cannot be mandatory and I challenge anybody to get smacked in the face and not think of defending themselves first, often through whatever means available. Our physical instincts do not allow it, we're animals and we're designed to fight and ask questions later.

Do you HONESTLY think the cop in question ( Officer Kickandstomp) was “defending” himself? If so, I think we have stretched credulity beyond its natural limits.

Do you know that tasers are wired electric shock?

So unless the design of them have changed the officer could see the lad was immobile after being tased.

I wonder if @bert38 can tell the board that if a taser is dispatched the officer shooting would have to declare the warning or, indeed, if the design of the weapon has changed.

I cannot make an assumption about the taser usage.
Typically the officer using the taser would shout ‘taser! taser!’ to alert their colleagues.

My knowledge of their use is v limited though-it was only firearms officers who were issued with them when I was a response inspector. It’s more widespread now.

The only thing I def recall is not to put your hands between the barbs on somebody in order to restrain/cuff them or you may get a nasty shock!

I was only present in a couple of training sessions when they were demonstrated.

The end? That’ll be for the independent review to decide. Thankfully.
The comment was “He knew his responsibilities preclude such behavior. The end.”

Do you think he didn’t know that?
Do you think it’s in the handbook?
Do you think Officer Kickandstomp did it by the book?

I’m saying HE knew what he did was a result of the red mist descending. He lost his sense of being a police officer and reverted to street thuggery.

But, yes, an “independent review” will decide his punishment or lack thereof, not his knowing his actions were excessive. I think we all know that, or should…although all seems copacetic for some, so there’s that.

The comment was “He knew his responsibilities preclude such behavior. The end.”

Do you think he didn’t know that?
Do you think it’s in the handbook?
Do you think Officer Kickandstomp did it by the book?

I’m saying HE knew what he did was a result of the red mist descending. He lost his sense of being a police officer and reverted to street thuggery.

But, yes, an “independent review” will decide his punishment or lack thereof, not his knowing his actions were excessive. I think we all know that, or should…although all seems copacetic for some, so there’s that.

How well do you know the book? To judge whether he acted by it. Or what was in his mind in the second and a half between him getting up after being knocked to the ground and the kick, and then gouing about securing the suspect who is still trying to get up, the other one, and getting control of the whole situation.

Hit a cop, then the just desserts are a full swing boot to the head while you’re down, plus a little head stomping for good measure, is “OK, in my book!” Good GMP policing, that!

Got it!

This place is a fucking laugh factory sometimes!
Stop being a wet fart, the policing was adequate and would never had happened if people were civilised.

Stop being a wet fart, the policing was adequate and would never had happened if people were civilised.

We don’t know if the policing was adequate or not, that’ll come out of the IOPC investigation, there’s definitely not enough in the public domain for anyone to say that and know it.

That’s not to say you can’t have sympathy or empathy with the police involved too.

Place yourself as a passenger at that airport, a member of the public there with your family.

You would most likely want those guys under control and out of action in whatever way that comes. Short of seeing death, probably. For your own safety and that of your family.

You wouldn't be there analysing what is by the book (which you don't know) and what isn't, what is excessive (which is relative) and what isn't, what is emotional vs rational, and what is in the guy's mind at any given frozen point. You would just want it over and under control, kick stamp or anything else.

That is ultimately who the Police are acting on behalf of, and that is the context. They are two clearly violent and unpredictable men, dangerous to their surrounding, and the police ultimately get them under control. It all happens very quickly and reactions happen in real time in split seconds, while suffering physical harm.

I'll let the police determine how that meets their own standards. But by mine, that guy can continue to protect the public all day long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.