Alvarez replacement thread

"I didn't say attacking midfielder" *lists 2 attacking midfielders*
And one of them you admit is basically unavailable and the other one just moved to Barcelona!

I say it's pointless signing a false 9 because:
a. there are essentially no players who play a false 9 regularly, and are usually just attacking midfielders who can sometimes play up front
b. we already have an abundance of that kind of player
c. I understand if you don't think they are good enough but I disagree (potentially). They would be punts but they would be low risk punts who could play our cup games, give Haaland a rest in some league games and be an option off the bench.

I don't feel like you're having a go, it's all good. I just think if we want to use the false 9 idea as back-up for Haaland then we may as well just use what we have, but if we want a striker/goalscorer replacement (which Tolmie suggests we do, and I would personally prefer) then there are cheap, low key, low risk players we could sign.

I'm not a scout so my suggestions are just based on what I've seen and read - there's a good chance Txiki and Pep agree with you that none are City's level. I don't know though.
Musiala plays in behind Harry Kane in certain games, He also plays out wide when Muller plays in behind Harry Kane, He's a versatile player someone who would suit our system.

Dani Olmo yes has obviously joined Barcelona, As I've mentioned "earlier in the window" I was hoping we would be all over Olmo, Again, Another player who's versatile popped up in numerous different positions with Leipzig as they played a 4-2-2-2 and he also knows how to play the false 9 which he's done with Spain senior team on accessions and doing so with the u-21's.

We must have different opinions on what an "attacking midfielder" actually is, I'd see Frank Lampard as an attacking midfielder, Not versatile like Olmo or Musiala.

We'll agree to disagree on the players mentioned, Personally I'd have alot higher hopes for who we bring in to replace Alvarez even as a "stop gap", I think going from Alvarez to Sammy Szmodics is like leaving Kim Kardashian and having an affair with Susan Boyle.

We could go on all day about it, Best to catch up in a pub and talk bollocks over a few pints!

He isn’t shite though is he? He is just injury prone.
Also who would give more to our team Phillips or Calvert -Lewin both are struggling.
Lastly we were talking about players that would be happy to come and play very occasionally we know he has his modelling career so perhaps he would sit on the bench
Notwithstanding his injury record, the bottom 15 percentile in terms of non-penalty goals for a striker in the PL and average passing completion percentage of 56.4 last season. I rest my case your honour. He should stick to wearing his clown outfits.

Don’t know if this player has been said but I do quite rate, Jean-Philippe Mateta at Palace. Banged in a lot of goals back end of last season & was decent in the Olympics

I guess Im posting it here as well as there's not many names around, I went with Tommies criteria.
"Direct striker replacement for Alvarez. It might not be stellar name and could even be an initial loan."

Satiago Gimenez from Feyenoord.. hes still there. Im going after Tolmis guidelines BTW. He probably wants first eleven starts though, and maybe too expensive for the criteria thoguh. Jonathan David earlier in the thread was a decent shout as well
Porto just turned down a bid bid for Evanilson so he wont be cheap
Mateta from palace.. lol, looks the part lately though, will pre be expensive nowadays though, bad timing
A loan for Borja Mayoral.. will be cheap cos he failed his medical to go to Villarreal and they will have a hard time shifting him now(Getafe). Man can finish.
Gonzalo Ramos might be surplus to requirements at PSG if Oshimen goes there.. doesnt look so at the moment though. Loan+buy option
edit: adding Vitor Roque from Barca just cos he was highly rated and prob. erveything has gone wrong for him, rel. cheap. Likes to work and run like Julian

If another requirement arrives the level and bar will be much higher of course.

Last edited:
Swap Cancelo for Vitor Roque. Watch him score 30 goals off the bench and make the Brazil team. Sell for 70m in 2 years. Sorted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.