Alvarez replacement thread

True, but if the window closes without Alvarez being replaced, then we need to be pragmatic and have the players that can adapt to that formation. For example, one might argue that the need for Doku/Savinho to play in harness is reduced, as the game becomes even more reliant on maintaining possession. One way or t’other, we’ll know soon enough.
Do wonder if Haaland is misfiring and hooked on 80minutes (ish) the F9 system has a sense of tempo and urgency needed to work in the last 10 when chasing a game over closing out a game.

I'd prefer a striker tbh. System should be built to service the 9 with as much xG as possible.

Do wonder if Haaland is misfiring and hooked on 80minutes (ish) the F9 system has a sense of tempo and urgency needed to work in the last 10 when chasing a game over closing out a game.

I'd prefer a striker tbh. System should be built to service the 9 with as much xG as possible.
If we're chasing a game, Erling is not getting hooked, misfiring or otherwise

Problem is that the system could not satisfy an £81 million striker, so it’s going to be terribly difficult satisfying anyone else unless they are younger, but better than Delap, or older and looking for one last shot at glory.

Saturday was a good example of the problems we could face this season. The game should have been dead in the 28th minute when Lewis hit the bar. With Guardiola’s three-goal cushion secured, Haaland and de Bruyne could have had the second-half off. Instead, they both played the full 90 and the two substitutes got minimal game time. Haaland would have been upset at being substituted while on a hat-trick, of course, but we can’t pander to that when he’s now the sole striker (especially with Bobb out) and needed for the long haul. Even if we don’t sign a replacement for Alvarez, such tough decisions will have to be made.

Problem is that the system could not satisfy an £81 million striker, so it’s going to be terribly difficult satisfying anyone else unless they are younger, but better than Delap, or older and looking for one last shot at glory.

Saturday was a good example of the problems we could face this season. The game should have been dead in the 28th minute when Lewis hit the bar. With Guardiola’s three-goal cushion secured, Haaland and de Bruyne could have had the second-half off. Instead, they both played the full 90 and the two substitutes got minimal game time. Haaland would have been upset at being substituted while on a hat-trick, of course, but we can’t pander to that when he’s now the sole striker (especially with Bobb out) and needed for the long haul. Even if we don’t sign a replacement for Alvarez, such tough decisions will have to be made.
tend to agree, Saturday team was really reserved when the 3rd went it. lots of 'on' passes or runs just weren't being made or taken. Hopefully games are dead and buried early doors once fitness and a looser leash comes into play and my personal want of a striker is obsolete.

I like the idea of the pace/movement Kyogo has on paper if things are going sideways, just looks a very smart player in the box but links seem kinda dead. Just preference really, much prefer a 9. False 9 was pretty but very frustrating at time when the ball was out wide.

tend to agree, Saturday team was really reserved when the 3rd went it. lots of 'on' passes or runs just weren't being made or taken. Hopefully games are dead and buried early doors once fitness and a looser leash comes into play and my personal want of a striker is obsolete.

I like the idea of the pace/movement Kyogo has on paper if things are going sideways, just looks a very smart player in the box but links seem kinda dead. Just preference really, much prefer a 9. False 9 was pretty but very frustrating at time when the ball was out wide.

Going to be even more frustrating if we have natural wingers with no centre forward if Erling isn’t playing. We definitely could do with a striker, if Erling isn’t playing we have to change our entire system.

Saturday’s second-half was lacklustre and akin to a pre-season game, which for many it was, yet that inability to get the three-goal cushion last year saw too many players on the park for too long, and, ultimately, come the business end we were not as sharp.

The other problem with the false 9 is that it’s both mentally and physically draining for the player on ‘point’, and if it’s de Bruyne, then he is not getting any younger.

It’s over a fortnight since Alvarez left, and his departure couldn’t have come as a complete surprise to the management, so the lack of a replacement suggests, to me, that they’re happy to go as is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.