Amy Winehouse: I'm too short to have punched anyone

Oh please, she sang songs written for her. She had a good voice and was used and abused. Those that made money of her, had all but abandoned her at the end. She was no Karen Carpenter addicted to pain killers because of a crippling back injury of time. She was her mums little darling and her dads meal ticket, but not a genius. Poor little girl, very, very sad.
Not the biggest Winehouse fan but I don't even know where to start with how incorrect this post is. Like, just on a factual level.

She released two albums in her lifetime. There were 24 songs across the two of them (13 on Frank, 11 on Back to Black). Winehouse has sole writing credits on eight songs and lead co-writing credits on the other 16. Where in your life have you picked up the falsehood that she only had songs written for her? Not one song across either of her albums is written entirely by other people. And when in your life did you start to believe that only writing songs makes you a genius? Why can't performing the songs with the ability Winehouse did make her a genius? Genius isn't just about invention, it's about execution and delivery too.

You say she was no Karen Carpenter, but she had no writing credits on any of The Carpenters' albums. And that's without mentioning their biggest hit, Close to You, which was a Bacharach/David joint. But that doesn't mean she wasn't a genius either - she was a terrific musician and instrumentalist and most likely did write at least some Carpenters songs even if she wasn't credited. Karen Carpenter didn't die because of an addiction to pain killers, she very obviously and tragically died as a result of anorexia. A very similar condition to what Winehouse had, bulimia. The tragic thing about Carpenter was that she was actually beginning to write songs for the first time just as she died.

But regardless of what they eventually died of, they were, in truth, both geniuses of their respective times killed by the industry they were part of. We don't need to compare them like you have.

Last edited:
Not the biggest Winehouse fan but I don't even know where to start with how incorrect this post is. Like, just on a factual level.

She released two albums in her lifetime. There were 24 songs across the two of them (13 on Frank, 11 on Back to Black). Winehouse has sole writing credits on eight songs and lead co-writing credits on the other 16. Where in your life have you picked up the falsehood that she only had songs written for her? Not one song across either of her albums is written entirely by other people. And when in your life did you start to believe that only writing songs makes you a genius? Why can't performing the songs with the ability Winehouse did make her a genius? Genius isn't just about invention, it's about execution and delivery too.

You say she was no Karen Carpenter, but she had no writing credits on any of The Carpenters' albums. And that's without mentioning their biggest hit, Close to You, which was a Bacharach/David joint. But that doesn't mean she wasn't a genius either - she was a terrific musician and instrumentalist and most likely did write at least some Carpenters songs even if she wasn't credited. Karen Carpenter didn't die because of an addiction to pain killers, she very obviously and tragically died as a result of anorexia. A very similar condition to what Winehouse had, bulimia. The tragic thing about Carpenter was that she was actually beginning to write songs for the first time just as she died.

But regardless of what they eventually died of, they were, in truth, both geniuses of their respective times killed by the industry they were part of. We don't need to compare them like you have.
Karen Carpenter did become addicted to pain killers. She damaged her back and was in increasing pain. The pain killers damaged her liver and kidneys beyond repair as they also suppressed her appetite. It took longer and she also married a utter douche bag. Amy was a young girl who, as I wrote had a good voice and also married a douche bag. Sadly she also was surrounded by douche bag friends.

Its doesn't dilute the joy people got from her singing, but I just don't believe she, or Karen Carpenter were musical geniuses.

Last edited:
Karen Carpenter did become addicted to pain killers. She damaged her back and was in increasing pain. The pain killers damaged who liver and kidneys beyond repair as they also suppressed her appetite. It took longer and she also married a utter douche bag. Amy was a young girl who, as I wrote had a good voice and also married a douche bag. Sadly she also was surrounded by douche bag friends.

Its doesn't dilute the joy people got from her singing, but I just don't believe she, or Karen Carpenter were musical geniuses.
Is there a record anywhere of her struggles with pain killers? I know it's been said in the past that Richard had issues with them but I've never seen anything mentioning Karen had problems as well. Genuinely asking out of curiosity.

There was a PBS America documentary where the issue of her injuring her back and because she carried on playing drums it became worse and worse. Heath Ledger went the same root(injured his back in nights tale) and in the end took pain killers beyond his prescription notes. Karen Carpenter started of on prescription pain killers and combined with her eventual daily use of ipecac powder destroyed her digestive system. 100% she had an awful mother, brother and husband.
I'm also certain it is a regular on Sky Arts. I remember the Stefani Germanotta (Lady Gaga) documentary where her manager, cancelled her tour because she had fractured her pelvis. Her manager even brought the doctor in on the meeting as she didn't want to cancel the tour. She had actually done a whole show with the injury and was clearly in extreme pain.

Last edited:
Is there a record anywhere of her struggles with pain killers? I know it's been said in the past that Richard had issues with them but I've never seen anything mentioning Karen had problems as well. Genuinely asking out of curiosity.

There's a record of Karen taking all sorts of drugs and her dying of anorexia nervosa as a result. A bit like Amy people look for reasons that aren't there.

If you abuse your body sadly you pay for it in the short run.

Yeah but apart from that he was bang on yeah:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.