And so it begins...

RandomJ said:
chris85mcfc said:
RandomJ said:
I knew we'd struggle to shift the deadwood. Not only do clubs know we are desperate to sell thanks to FFP but also the players are on stupid wages for players of their ability so even if we get a bid if they don't match their wages they will simply refuse to leave. But I do think it is time for City to make a stand about clubs constantly taking the piss trying to get our players on the cheap when you have the other clubs getting decent money for their shit players. Set a deadline before the window shuts and say you either make us an acceptable offer by then or you can fuck off and try again in January.

But are we desperate to sell? It's not like we've gone and spent over the 49m and we need to sell to balance the books

Yes there it won't be ideal to have players knocking about for a season and not getting games, but i wouldn't say were desperate to sell

If we're looking to bring another player besides Mangala in then we are desperate to sell. If not then we should be ok but as you say not ideal having players who are offering nothing knocking around.

Yea if we are after someone else then we need to sell a few players

But correct me if im wrong, but if Txiki really thought selling the likes of Richards, Rodwell, Guidetti and Garcia would comfortably bring in £25m so that they could be replaced by someone like Isco, then he is fuckin deluded

Look at Chelsea for example, they have sold 2 very good players in Luiz and Mata for good money and its paid for their summer business. If you want half decent money to improve your squad, then you need to sell half decent players, unfortunatly for us none of the above fall into that category

I'd of thought Southampton will be interested in some of our cast offs, but they have to see just who they are going to be left with before making any serious moves. Once they've finally stopped selling, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them come in for Rodwell, Sinclair or Guidetti

bluesince76 said:
lost_n_spaced said:
Let's take a look at our seriously unwanted players :

Boyata - Really, really poor concentration and panicky. Not qualities you search for in a CH. A player who has been in perma decline since an early penalty and red card v. Arsenal about 5 years ago. He'll end up dissapearing from view when he leaves us, and you'll never hear of him again (unless you wiki him).

Richards - Seldom fit. Constant muscle problems probably linked to weight. I actually thought that the departure of Lescott may help him as his seemingly pointless competition over who was the 'most buff' would end, but it'd seem that Pellegrini has made the choice that he'd rather not be left up shit creek without a paddle if Zaba get's injured by buying Sagna.

Rodwell - Muscular problems his entire career. Great purchase in terms of potential, poor in terms of investment. The panic buys of panic buys which we took a gamble on and lost horribly. He definitly has the ability, that isn't the issue I don't think, but you see a few decent things for him and think that we may be at a new dawn, and then he pulls a hamstring again.

Garcia - Far to slow for the PL. Played well at back end of the season due to good players around him (and - due to physical inactivity - probably not being as jaded as opponents were after a long PL season). Certainly not good, or physically dominating enough, to switch to centre-half either.

Sinclair - Our version of a Spice Boy. Okay at quite a few things, but nowhere near the quality that we're looking for and and indication of English obsession with quick wingers who don't actually possess that much skill (Redmond, Walcott, Moses..... I was convinced Sterling was in this group but it would seem not).

Guidetti - Has never done anything and would actually be a waste of a place in our squad when we have Iheanacho who is showing roughly double the potential that Guidetti has ever shown (be it in friendlies, the Dutch league or elsewhere). We all know that Hughes is a bit of a nob, but I've seen nothing to suggest that he was worth a place on Stoke's bench last year.

You may agree or disagree with my notes there (probably the latter) but I'd value them at (max.) :

Boyata - 2m (probably by a championship or Belgian side)
Richards - 4m (as 1 year left)
Rodwell - 5m (probably by a lower PL team who need to take a chance)
Garcia - 7m (italian side. suited for their speed, but that means we'll get very little for him)
Sinclair - 4m (see rodwell, but - with the exception of last season - injured far less often than rodwell)
Guidetti - 3m (from a stupid Dutch side who remember him for what he was, not what he is)

= 25m max., and that's 5 homegrown, which means that we're playing cash for the horrible recruitment of the close season after we won the league for the first time (blame it on Marwood, blame it on Mancini, we'll never know the truth), but it doesn't change the fact that we have a load of toss in our sqaud (but also, as it happens, the best 22 in England by a country mile........ the distance by which I think we will win the league).

Guidetti isn't showing anything that makes it look like he could play at the top level again. In fact, there's little to suggest he could make it in a lower league at the moment. But to suggest he's never done anything is ridiculous. If we'd just signed a 20 year old who'd scored 20 in 23 for Feyenoord, we'd all be excited.

As for your valuations, I wish. They sound reasonable based on their performances, but clubs won't want to pay their current wages. So either we give them away, or take a fee and end up contributing to their salaries. From an FFP view, it depends if we want to buy again. If not, we may be better letting them go cheaply without any future payments, as at least it lowers the wage bill, meaning we could buy in January (if the €60m restriction was only for a window and not a season)

Agree on your vaulations point re: wages (I did put max., and yep, a lot of that is wishful thinking based on the fact that even rubbish PL teams now have a lot of money).......

......as for Guidetti, scoring goals in the Dutch league inevitably means that Groningen are going to make a pile of cash (Huntelaar, Alves, Samaras), but that the striker in question is going to be hit and miss (I think I'm right in saying that the only TRULY successful strikers to have piled on the goals in the Eriedivisie and to have consistently replicated it abroad in the last 20 years are RvP & Suarez.

If not for FFP, I'd give away everyone except Richards (who I'd sell as a matter of principal as clubs are taking the piss).

bluesince76 said:
lost_n_spaced said:

Boyata - Really, really poor concentration and panicky. Not qualities you search for in a CH. A player who has been in perma decline since an early penalty and red card v. Arsenal about 5 years ago. He'll end up dissapearing from view when he leaves us, and you'll never hear of him again (unless you wiki him).

Richards - Seldom fit. Constant muscle problems probably linked to weight. I actually thought that the departure of Lescott may help him as his seemingly pointless competition over who was the 'most buff' would end, but it'd seem that Pellegrini has made the choice that he'd rather not be left up shit creek without a paddle if Zaba get's injured by buying Sagna.

Rodwell - Muscular problems his entire career. Great purchase in terms of potential, poor in terms of investment. The panic buys of panic buys which we took a gamble on and lost horribly. He definitly has the ability, that isn't the issue I don't think, but you see a few decent things for him and think that we may be at a new dawn, and then he pulls a hamstring again.

Garcia - Far to slow for the PL. Played well at back end of the season due to good players around him (and - due to physical inactivity - probably not being as jaded as opponents were after a long PL season). Certainly not good, or physically dominating enough, to switch to centre-half either.

Sinclair - Our version of a Spice Boy. Okay at quite a few things, but nowhere near the quality that we're looking for and and indication of English obsession with quick wingers who don't actually possess that much skill (Redmond, Walcott, Moses..... I was convinced Sterling was in this group but it would seem not).

Guidetti - Has never done anything and would actually be a waste of a place in our squad when we have Iheanacho who is showing roughly double the potential that Guidetti has ever shown (be it in friendlies, the Dutch league or elsewhere). We all know that Hughes is a bit of a nob, but I've seen nothing to suggest that he was worth a place on Stoke's bench last year.

You may agree or disagree with my notes there (probably the latter) but I'd value them at (max.) :

Garcia - 7m (italian side. suited for their speed, but that means we'll get very little for him)
Sinclair - 4m (see rodwell, but - with the exception of last season - injured far less often than rodwell)
Guidetti - 3m (from a stupid Dutch side who remember him for what he was, not what he is)

= 25m max., and that's 5 homegrown, which means that we're playing cash for the horrible recruitment of the close season after we won the league for the first time (blame it on Marwood, blame it on Mancini, we'll never know the truth), but it doesn't change the fact that we have a load of toss in our sqaud (but also, as it happens, the best 22 in England by a country mile........ the distance by which I think we will win the league).

Guidetti isn't showing anything that makes it look like he could play at the top level again. In fact, there's little to suggest he could make it in a lower league at the moment. But to suggest he's never done anything is ridiculous. If we'd just signed a 20 year old who'd scored 20 in 23 for Feyenoord, we'd all be excited.

As for your valuations, I wish. They sound reasonable based on their performances, but clubs won't want to pay their current wages. So either we give them away, or take a fee and end up contributing to their salaries. From an FFP view, it depends if we want to buy again. If not, we may be better letting them go cheaply without any future payments, as at least it lowers the wage bill, meaning we could buy in January (if the €60m restriction was only for a window and not a season)
You forgot a 3rd option, that the players take a wage cut so that they actually play football (it is their job after all). Not every player is a Wayne Bridge and hopefully some if not all would rather play than just come in to training 2 or 3 times a day and then sit at home watching matches on the TV.

lost_n_spaced said:
bluesince76 said:
lost_n_spaced said:

Agree on your vaulations point re: wages (I did put max., and yep, a lot of that is wishful thinking based on the fact that even rubbish PL teams now have a lot of money).......

......as for Guidetti, scoring goals in the Dutch league inevitably means that Groningen are going to make a pile of cash (Suarez, Huntelaar, Alves, Samaras), but that the striker in question is going to be hit and miss (I think I'm right in saying that the only TRULY successful strikers to have piled on the goals in the Eriedivisie and to have consistently replicated it abroad in the last 20 years are RvP & Suarez.

If not for FFP, I'd give away everyone except Richards (who I'd sell as a matter of principal as clubs are taking the piss).

BigOscar said:
I'd of thought Southampton will be interested in some of our cast offs, but they have to see just who they are going to be left with before making any serious moves. Once they've finally stopped selling, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them come in for Rodwell, Sinclair or Guidetti

We should try and blag more money by giving them Rekik on loan too. Dutch connection.

lost_n_spaced said:
bluesince76 said:
lost_n_spaced said:

......as for Guidetti, scoring goals in the Dutch league inevitably means that Groningen are going to make a pile of cash (Huntelaar, Alves, Samaras), but that the striker in question is going to be hit and miss (I think I'm right in saying that the only TRULY successful strikers to have piled on the goals in the Eriedivisie and to have consistently replicated it abroad in the last 20 years are RvP & Suarez.

Horse face at the rags did OK as well, but I accept your point about the hit and miss. That said, for his age, he looked really promising, but I think his injury has probably ruined his career

lost_n_spaced said:

An excellent summary of the situation regarding the above - as much as we might not like to take the hit financially - we need to accept that the above have nothing meaningful to offer the current squad and we need to clear the decks and fill up the HG places with some youth players who will benefit from the opportunity to develop. I will be sorry to see Richards and Rodwell go but I just can't see them ever playing a part in our team in the future. We are not just making up the numbers anymore we are twice crowned Premier League Champions and need to progress to become European Champions.

ColinLee said:
bluesince76 said:
lost_n_spaced said:

You forgot a 3rd option, that the players take a wage cut so that they actually play football (it is their job after all). Not every player is a Wayne Bridge and hopefully some if not all would rather play than just come in to training 2 or 3 times a day and then sit at home watching matches on the TV.
If it's just a job, of course they won't take a wage cut. You'd hope they'd remember that they grew up dreaming of being a footballer rather than just being rich, but unfortunately for most, the latter will be the most important.

Why we felt the need to pay someone like Sinclair £50k a week is beyond me - if he was a champions league regular who we were asking to drop down a level maybe, but it was the exact reverse. You'd have thought he'd have taken a wage cut to come to us to add some medals to his mansion. Bizarre signing all round and you can see why other clubs wouldn't go near him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.