Anonymous threatens to bring down facebook..

talkativesprout said:
OMG The Egyptian government knows im a blue, take the piss out of rags and that i had Ravioli and chips for my tea sometime in November 2008. Big fuckin deal.

When Antoine Sibierski's Duaghter was found dead the photo's used by the press were in the vast vast majority bought from facebook. This is in their T&C's whatever you put up on there they basically own and you transfer all copyright to them by posting. Thats just photo's, they know what groups you're part of, what ad's you look at, your interest's etc. etc. all very obvious as you do it on their site. That info is all valuable from targeting ad's on site to promotions based on regions and locations that companies will pay to find out. Thats what really annoys me about it, unless someone has specifically opted into a clearly laid out contract instead of the usual bullshit T&C/EULA they shouldnt have the right to do that by law, but they do.

I use it but I know what the rules are and therefore what I want to put up on there, mainly for fucking about in my dinner time laughing at some of the sad shit thats get put up and because I have a few old mates dotted around the world who all use it and its the de facto way we kept in touch. For me its a necessary evil, but if it got nuked tomorrow I wouldnt be that unhappy.

Likewise I use Twitter which is fantastic depending on who you follow, if you follow a bunch of "ZOMG! my goldfish just exploded!!!1" muppets then yeah you're probably not going to get the best out of it but if thats what some people want and who am I to judge.

SWP's back said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
I kind of hope somebody manages to take it down. I hate it, it winds me up. The stupidity I see on there knows no bounds. Unfortunately, it's also the easiest and best way to contact my friends and stay in touch with distant family I might not speak to that often.

I hope Facebook gets taken down and something better, more private and overall more intellectual takes its place.

Don't fucking go on then

As I said, it's become too useful to not go on.

I live in Edinburgh and everybody I know, including my family, lives in Manchester/Stockport. I can't ring them all every night to keep in touch with them because it'd cost me a fortune and it would be time consuming. As a tool for keeping in touch with people it's made itself indispensable.

It has flaws but that doesn't make it completely useless. There are lots of things that annoy people but they still use them every day from cars to mobile phones, this is no different.

So because some of you don't like it you think it should be taken down? I can't believe that you get so wound up about it.

I find it invaluable for keeping in touch with family and friends that I can't see very often. I can talk to them on chat and upload photographs for them to see (and vice versa). I don't like Twitter very much (even though I'm on there) but that's personal preference, I certainly don't moan about it.

SkyBlueFlux said:
SWP's back said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
I kind of hope somebody manages to take it down. I hate it, it winds me up. The stupidity I see on there knows no bounds. Unfortunately, it's also the easiest and best way to contact my friends and stay in touch with distant family I might not speak to that often.

I hope Facebook gets taken down and something better, more private and overall more intellectual takes its place.

Don't fucking go on then

As I said, it's become too useful to not go on.

I live in Edinburgh and everybody I know, including my family, lives in Manchester/Stockport. I can't ring them all every night to keep in touch with them because it'd cost me a fortune and it would be time consuming. As a tool for keeping in touch with people it's made itself indispensable.

It has flaws but that doesn't make it completely useless. There are lots of things that annoy people but they still use them every day from cars to mobile phones, this is no different.

Hear hear..
I now live in NZ and Facebook is a great way to keep in contact with people i know all over the world. I also use it to promote what i regard as 'worthy' causes like Avaaz. I am concerned about the accusations of them selling information to Dictatorships though. Is this fact?

If you want to keep in touch with people, what's wrong with email or MSN etc or even, gulp, the telephone?

And just in case you are worried:

"Strongbowholic has just had a coffee, porridge with raisins and honey and is off for a poo."

Gary likes this.

Mrs Strongbow commented on this - "I think you're disgusting"

Dave likes this

FB is a decent enough site depending on how much or how little you wish to use it, I have also got quite involved with twitter, reading score updates from the local cricket that you previously had to wait until the sunday papers to find out.
It can have its downsides, but as long as you are aware that what is put up by you is public knowledge unless you make it private, no harm will come from it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.