Another blue gone too soon | RIP Barry James

Genuinely gutted to hear this, Barry was our kids best mate for donkeys years growing up and lived at the back of us (was Barry Thomas back then though, and chubby).

Only seen him a few times in the last 40 years ( he was gigging and travelling all over the show) but when I did, it was always like I’d only seen him the day before, so many great memories, still remember him bringing his guitar to our kids 13th birthday party (even then, fuck me he could play), the time his sister set their Alsatian on me and it bit me on my arse, when his rabbit escaped and ate my step dads prize marrow, the time I borrowed him my drumsticks for a band member (and never saw them again), getting his City bobble hat nicked on the way back from a night game at Maine Road by a gang of lads, him running after them, and getting a good kick in on a little hill near Platt Fields, so many more.

A lot of Blues probably won’t have ever heard of Barry, which is a shame, he was a supremely talented guitar player, and should have gone on to much much bigger things, but I guess the cards just didn’t fall for him, most of all, he really was a cracking lad, humble with such a bright, sunny and upbeat personality and a big kind heart to match, I never remember anything other than smiles and laughter with him, our kid and my Mam will be gutted when I tell them later on, they thought the world of Barry back then.

R.I.P and condolences to Barrys family and friends, we know how hard losing him will be and what a huge hole he’s left x

It's the measure of the man that once I realised who it was who'd passed I have been quite upset all evening, in spite of not seeing him for probably fifteen years, maybe more. If you met him once and chatted, no matter how briefly, you felt like you'd know him all your life. His enthusiasm, kindness and big smile instantly put you at ease. In spite of being a superbly talented artist he had absolutely no airs about him. He was just a lovely human being as anybody who has met him will readily testify.

I found his Facebook page and it has some links to videos of him playing on YouTube. Do yourselves a favour and watch them. There is a heartbreaking video of him on the Facebook page entitled his last performance. He is in the hospice playing his guitar to an audience of his family, friends and nurses. In spite of being so ill his performance is remarkable and the humour and smile never leaves his face. What a human being. Rest in peace Barry.

It's the measure of the man that once I realised who it was who'd passed I have been quite upset all evening, in spite of not seeing him for probably fifteen years, maybe more. If you met him once and chatted, no matter how briefly, you felt like you'd know him all your life. His enthusiasm, kindness and big smile instantly put you at ease. In spite of being a superbly talented artist he had absolutely no airs about him. He was just a lovely human being as anybody who has met him will readily testify.

I found his Facebook page and it has some links to videos of him playing on YouTube. Do yourselves a favour and watch them. There is a heartbreaking video of him on the Facebook page entitled his last performance. He is in the hospice playing his guitar to an audience of his family, friends and nurses. In spite of being so ill his performance is remarkable and the humour and smile never leaves his face. What a human being. Rest in peace Barry.

I’m not on social media for one reason or another but the news has left a real sadness here too mate, Barry was such a lovely sociable person, even as a little kid, he’d chat to anybody, young, old, and anyone in between, and always with a smile and sunshine, funny thing is, which sums him up perfectly, that beating he took on that hill, when he got back to us (me and his mate Terry) he just started laughing and said “I got my hat back though”, always saw the positives Barry.

Thanks for letting us know ‘keeping the faith’, if you get to know any funeral details (if it’s an open thing) please drop me a PM or something, cheers.

Genuinely gutted to hear this, Barry was our kids best mate for donkeys years growing up and lived at the back of us (was Barry Thomas back then though, and chubby).

Only seen him a few times in the last 40 years ( he was gigging and travelling all over the show) but when I did, it was always like I’d only seen him the day before, so many great memories, still remember him bringing his guitar to our kids 13th birthday party (even then, fuck me he could play), the time his sister set their Alsatian on me and it bit me on my arse, when his rabbit escaped and ate my step dads prize marrow, the time I borrowed him my drumsticks for a band member (and never saw them again), getting his City bobble hat nicked on the way back from a night game at Maine Road by a gang of lads, him running after them, and getting a good kick in on a little hill near Platt Fields, so many more.

A lot of Blues probably won’t have ever heard of Barry, which is a shame, he was a supremely talented guitar player, and should have gone on to much much bigger things, but I guess the cards just didn’t fall for him, most of all, he really was a cracking lad, humble with such a bright, sunny and upbeat personality and a big kind heart to match, I never remember anything other than smiles and laughter with him, our kid and my Mam will be gutted when I tell them later on, they thought the world of Barry back then.

R.I.P and condolences to Barrys family and friends, we know how hard losing him will be and what a huge hole he’s left x
Really nice comments mate. If you need a new pair of sticks I'll compensate you gladly mate.

That's really touching mate. I'll make sure his family get all these comments. So true what you have posted. A genuinely great guy. Sadly missed.

Just looked at his facebook and glad I did, as a huge love of Thin Lizzy his version of the Boys are back in town is outstanding.

RIP Barry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.