Another shooting in america

I agree NF but what I was trying to get at is when they do start tightening the gun laws to a far more reasonable extent it would take would probably take around 40 years to remove said weapons from people. High courts and stupid archaic rules in the US would stop and blockade at every opportunity and by the time the law was passed it would just stop you from being able to have a grenade launcher attachment on your 200 round a minute assault rifle.
Luckily they have laws on weaponised nuclear material though

BoyBlue_1985 said:
I agree NF but what I was trying to get at is when they do start tightening the gun laws to a far more reasonable extent it would take would probably take around 40 years to remove said weapons from people. High courts and stupid archaic rules in the US would stop and blockade at every opportunity and by the time the law was passed it would just stop you from being able to have a grenade launcher attachment on your 200 round a minute assault rifle.
Luckily they have laws on weaponised nuclear material though

I know folk can't really get hold of nuclear bombs mate - I tried on e-bay.
I was just fission there.

The homicide rate in the US has jumped about quite drastically in the previous century.

The gun laws haven't changed much.

Culture and "family values" don't change that quickly.

Laws like Drug Prohibition, and Alcohol prohibition before it, are the more likely cause

Maybe we tend not to understand what a clusterfuck drug prohibition is for the US considering our neighbours, as undesirable as the Scottish may be, aren't Mexico, Colombia et al. Unfortunately, with the left always harping on about guns and the right constantly whining about a moral breakdown of society, the same could be said for Americans at the minute.

A wider look at developed societies tends to show a general decline in violent behaviour, a result imv of humans slowly learning how to better live in high density populations, and the US is no different in this respect but they still have a relatively high homicide rate. I would expect a repealing of the drug laws would approximately cut the rate in half and see it fall more in line with the UK and Canada. Secularism may take care of any further disparity.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
buckshot said:
Further proof that we are a nation of idiots:

64571_315393678577145_987308247_n.png

Photos like this have been peppering my Facebook for the last couple weeks. The sad thing is that I know most of the people posting this shit don't even own these types of weapons.

Serious question buckshot - have you ever contemplated emigrating?
I accept that most folk in England are varying shades of stupid too,but your stupid folk are all armed to the back teeth.
I can't help but think that allowing crazy folk to buy powerful guns to protect themselves from other crazy folk with powerful guns has an underlying flawed logic somewhere.

I've never really thought about leaving.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
And you should never not try to do the right thing simply because it is difficult.
So some folk would object to legislation - well fuck 'em.

Some of the best points on this thread. But politicians in the united states, like all politicians it would seem, are more motivated by the prospect of remaining in power than genuinely working for the benefit of society. I wouldn't have thought it was crass to suggest that the president that implements change such as this would be voted out and see his policies reversed under the next administration.

Chicago blue made a great couple of posts about the perceived cultural identity of some US citizens, and it is the same in this instance. Some of them still believe they are frontiers people, living on the edge of the territories.

Destroying every gun in America - great in theory but impossible in reality. If America really tightened it's gun laws it would be left with a load of scumbags with guns, as opposed to a mix of scumbags and good honest people with guns.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.