Anyone else concerned?

richards30 said:
do you think maybe you push the flapping abit far mate? I`ve been on 3 or 4 threads and you post the same stuff!

With all due respect Sir Richards... I don't think it's me that's pushing the flapping "a bit". I try to focus on the positives and remain optimistic.

Pigeonho said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
richards30 said:
not overly just yet but considering the way we started the window and pretty much tolmie confirming we were there with isco and right at the front for cavani to now selling carlos, Mario already gone and the club reportedly saying no big name striker coming in it is a slight concern. lack of goals and fit strikers cost us last season so to let Mario and carlos go without bringing someone else in who`s not top notch makes you wonder wether we actually have learnt our lesson!

This. Starting a 60 game season with just 2 recognised strikers on the books, would be tantamount to insanity
Which is why it won't happen. Which is why i'm wondering why people are concerned, in June.

Probably because of that quote in the Indie yesterday, suggesting we are not actively looking to replace Tevez. I did ask on one of the other threads whether anyone had been able to source it, or whether it was just a case of a journo talking out of his arse. The lack of a steer, coupled with Khaldoon's track record of thoroughly sensible decisions to date, would suggest the latter, but still no harm in debating the point is there?

Pigeonho said:
This. Starting a 60 game season with just 2 recognised strikers on the books, would be tantamount to insanity
Which is why it won't happen. Which is why i'm wondering why people are concerned, in June.

Probably because of that quote in the Indie yesterday, suggesting we are not actively looking to replace Tevez. I did ask on one of the other threads whether anyone had been able to source it, or whether it was just a case of a journo talking out of his arse. The lack of a steer, coupled with Khaldoon's track record of thoroughly sensible decisions to date, would suggest the latter, but still no harm in debating the point is there?
Tevez will be replaced. Maybe that comment meant we aren't looking to replace him like for like, but replacing him with a different kind of striker? Maybe the article was nonsense, like everyone dismisses all articles as nonsense, unless of course they're positive ones?

I'm not concerned at all. It's not even July and we have 2 top class signings in the bag. By the time the transfer window shuts we will have the strongest squad we've ever had.

Trust the powers that be and trust Pellegrini to mould us into very attractive team to watch

Marvin said:
AustinBlue said:
Knocked out two early, high class signings of players who immediately address the major holes in the squad. Great new manager with a track record of building successful and attractive teams. Sensible deal for Tevez. Window barely open, never mind not even halfway thru... nope, not even remotely concerned. If we did nothing else, I'd feel like we had a very solid transfer window.

Our squad, today, is the best balanced, deepest squad in the Premier League. I wouldn't swap our manager, our defence, our midfield, or our strikers line for any other team. United are one RVP injury away from being average. Chelsea are brittle in midfield. Arsenal can't score in a brothel.
We have 2 strikers, but agree in every other respect.

There will be more departures though. We have a ridiculous no. of midfielders

Spain won the Euros with no strikers

AustinBlue said:
Marvin said:
AustinBlue said:
Knocked out two early, high class signings of players who immediately address the major holes in the squad. Great new manager with a track record of building successful and attractive teams. Sensible deal for Tevez. Window barely open, never mind not even halfway thru... nope, not even remotely concerned. If we did nothing else, I'd feel like we had a very solid transfer window.

Our squad, today, is the best balanced, deepest squad in the Premier League. I wouldn't swap our manager, our defence, our midfield, or our strikers line for any other team. United are one RVP injury away from being average. Chelsea are brittle in midfield. Arsenal can't score in a brothel.
We have 2 strikers, but agree in every other respect.

There will be more departures though. We have a ridiculous no. of midfielders

Spain won the Euros with no strikers

Yeh but about 10 different world class midfielders/

I tend to be closer to AustinBlue's thoughts than those on the 'concerned' side so to speak. There seems to be a tendency amongst supporters in general (not just City supporters) to look at players you don't own as some sort of all encompassing panacea for whatever's gone wrong the season before. It was very easy as the season wore on in the last six months for example, to blame our failure to sign RVP, just as I know plenty of rags who said in the last six months of the 11/12 season that had they bought a top class central midfield player they wouldn't have dropped the points which led to City winning the title.

I'm not saying that top players won't improve your team, but you have to look at your starting point too and consider the dare I say it, more holistic ways of improving both performances and results. Is there more to be gotten out of Samir Nasri for example, or Edin Dzeko ? Will young players like Nastasic get better year on year. Do we have the right environment, right encouragement, and right coaching, to do that and get the players to improve both individually and as a unit.

Many people couldn't understand why there was a vocal minority who weren't happy with the season just gone, which had nothing to do with transfers. This was due to the fact that it was apparent to many outside of the club that the players weren't going in the right direction. The team wasn't going in the right direction. But then you look at where we finished in the league, in the FA Cup, and it gives you an idea of what our players can achieve whilst underperforming (dramatically in some cases).

We have a starting point which is immense. Both in terms of what the squad has within it, and what it has already achieved. So far this summer we've identified two absolute weaknesses within the squad and addressed them quickly, quietly and with little fuss. Navas and Fernandinho may not satisfy the headline writers, but then it's no exaggeration to say that Yaya and Silva didn't when they joined either. In fact there's many parallels in terms of the negativity around Yaya's fee and Fernandinho's fee, and also around Silva's apparent substitute role for Spain, and Navas's. I've little doubt that the new players will have similar impact to the ones people complained about two or three years ago.

There's something else which is clearly lost on a few people, and that is that Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoun made it clear from day dot that City although it was going to be successful, was going to be a club which was sustainable. Sincerely I believe that our previous transfer policy was never ever going to allow for that to happen. In many respects I think they did the right thing by splurging to catch up with the elite, and also to mark City out as player within the world game, but it came at a price which needs to be redressed now. That price was over paying wages. Not over paying transfer fees. Transfer fees generally aren't where big clubs add greatly to their bottom line, it's the crazy wages which certain types of players bring with them. To use an example, I suspect that Fernandinho's wages are closer to Garcia's than Yaya's. In terms of impact on the team, he'll be closer to Yaya than Garcia. That type of business we probably couldn't do three years ago because of where we were in our development, but we can do it now.

So for me, it's not about being concerned or not concerned. It's about reshaping the playing squad so that it's one which is more value for money than expensive flops, and to do this there will be some pain involved, including losing players like Balo and Tevez who ultimately, top players though they are, probably couldn't be justified on the wage bill going into this next phase of our development. People scoffed at Ferran when he first suggested at Barcelona that a players' wages should be to some degree linked to achievements. That is now becoming the norm within football. Does anybody really see Joorabchian and Mino, the two preeminent money before everything agents in football sitting down with Ferran to thrash out a deal like that? No chance, and that's probably why both players are gone.

BibbyBlue85 said:
I'm not concerned at all. It's not even July and we have 2 top class signings in the bag. By the time the transfer window shuts we will have the strongest squad we've ever had.

Trust the powers that be and trust Pellegrini to mould us into very attractive team to watch

Bibbinho is a very sensible lad.

BillyShears said:
I tend to be closer to AustinBlue's thoughts than those on the 'concerned' side so to speak. There seems to be a tendency amongst supporters in general (not just City supporters) to look at players you don't own as some sort of all encompassing panacea for whatever's gone wrong the season before. It was very easy as the season wore on in the last six months for example, to blame our failure to sign RVP, just as I know plenty of rags who said in the last six months of the 11/12 season that had they bought a top class central midfield player they wouldn't have dropped the points which led to City winning the title.

I'm not saying that top players won't improve your team, but you have to look at your starting point too and consider the dare I say it, more holistic ways of improving both performances and results. Is there more to be gotten out of Samir Nasri for example, or Edin Dzeko ? Will young players like Nastasic get better year on year. Do we have the right environment, right encouragement, and right coaching, to do that and get the players to improve both individually and as a unit.

Many people couldn't understand why there was a vocal minority who weren't happy with the season just gone, which had nothing to do with transfers. This was due to the fact that it was apparent to many outside of the club that the players weren't going in the right direction. The team wasn't going in the right direction. But then you look at where we finished in the league, in the FA Cup, and it gives you an idea of what our players can achieve whilst underperforming (dramatically in some cases).

We have a starting point which is immense. Both in terms of what the squad has within it, and what it has already achieved. So far this summer we've identified two absolute weaknesses within the squad and addressed them quickly, quietly and with little fuss. Navas and Fernandinho may not satisfy the headline writers, but then it's no exaggeration to say that Yaya and Silva didn't when they joined either. In fact there's many parallels in terms of the negativity around Yaya's fee and Fernandinho's fee, and also around Silva's apparent substitute role for Spain, and Navas's. I've little doubt that the new players will have similar impact to the ones people complained about two or three years ago.

There's something else which is clearly lost on a few people, and that is that Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoun made it clear from day dot that City although it was going to be successful, was going to be a club which was sustainable. Sincerely I believe that our previous transfer policy was never ever going to allow for that to happen. In many respects I think they did the right thing by splurging to catch up with the elite, and also to mark City out as player within the world game, but it came at a price which needs to be redressed now. That price was over paying wages. Not over paying transfer fees. Transfer fees generally aren't where big clubs add greatly to their bottom line, it's the crazy wages which certain types of players bring with them. To use an example, I suspect that Fernandinho's wages are closer to Garcia's than Yaya's. In terms of impact on the team, he'll be closer to Yaya than Garcia. That type of business we probably couldn't do three years ago because of where we were in our development, but we can do it now.

So for me, it's not about being concerned or not concerned. It's about reshaping the playing squad so that it's one which is more value for money than expensive flops, and to do this there will be some pain involved, including losing players like Balo and Tevez who ultimately, top players though they are, probably couldn't be justified on the wage bill going into this next phase of our development. People scoffed at Ferran when he first suggested at Barcelona that a players' wages should be to some degree linked to achievements. That is now becoming the norm within football. Does anybody really see Joorabchian and Mino, the two preeminent money before everything agents in football sitting down with Ferran to thrash out a deal like that? No chance, and that's probably why both players are gone.

Top, Top post.

BillyShears said:

To all you doubters and whingers....

phoneshop_jerwayne.jpg

Say suttin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.