Anyone else still think we can win the league?

Manure have one of their best players (Valencia) back from injury soon and we have already gifted 4pts to Arsenal, so the best we can now achieve is a highly creditable 3rd place. Quite frankly, I doubt that we will make that, as Chelsea are bound to start playing well again soon. Hakuna matata, habibi.

Gelsons Dad said:
I don't think we can win the league, I know we can. The more pertinent question would be Anyone else still think we WILL win the league? Now clearly the probability of us winning drops every time we loose ground on the others and we lost ground to all but Chelsea yesterday and today may well add them to the list. However, looking at the fixture list and table shows there is still a long way to go.

We need to win a lot of our remaining 14 games and hope that both Arsenal and United drop points sooner rather than later. But just as it was too soon last week the start thinking we WILL win it, it's too soon this we the think we WILL NOT.

Much better to think that right now we are still realistically in the race along with 3 if not 4 other teams. I'll bet Chelsea aren't throwing in the towel yet and Arry will still say he's in it until it's mathematically impossible.

The squad is stronger now that it has been all season and with a couple of games to integrate and get back to full fitness we have the striker everyone wanted in Dzeko so if Balo can get his knee sorted and we can offload some more of the dead wood I think we are in as good a position as I expected at this point in the season and I remain optimistic. I do wish we would play first halves as well as we play second halves though. It would make things much easier.

i think you have hit the nail on the head....get balo back playing consistantly, get his head sorted (might take a bit longer than a few games) and get him consistantly on the pitch for 90 mins and he could be the difference...he is one of those players thats drifts in and out of games but yuo just know that at any one point he can produce one moment of pure genius, somethign out of nothing to win a game for you...that and gettin dzeko upto speed....

dzeko must play vs notts county..it will do him good to get another 90mins under his belt in a tough no noncense game

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
Given that next month is full of games in the FA Cup, Chimps League and League I reckon we refrain from throwing ourselves off any high buildings until March at least. Just a thought...

I've not thought we can win the league at any point this season. We aren't quite there yet. Not played together for long enough, not quite got that understanding of each other (last night you could see that in the final third the passing wasn't crisp and sharp, few 1-2's in the box, few real proper chances carved out), our tempo is a little slow at times, we're missing one or two players (bruising central defender to play with Kompany, another Silva style player in midfield), we haven't quite learnt how to break teams down who defend for their lives and are disciplined behind the ball...

This season will be 3rd or 4th; I'd be more then happy with even 4th, it's a step, a big step, up from last season. Next season will be 2nd or 3rd; again I'd be extatic with either. 2012-13 CHAMPIONS!

Playing down any title expectations is a good thing - we´ve got ahead of ourselves in part due to the media bigging us up as serious challengers
I personally don´t think we´ll win anything but that´s 35 years of being brow beaten into submission. The problem is securing 4th coz if we don´t it´s nothing short of abject failure and Mancini´s position will be untenable, like it or not. And so the process will begin again. WE CAN´T FOOKIN AFFORD THAT!!

No more letting piss poor teams like Villa off the hook (and they are piss poor , they defended at home for 70mins coz they KNEW they couldn´t win having a go), and the other thing I pray for is a couple of easy FA cup draws (providing we get over County) because atm we don´t have the wherewithall or mental strength to get to a final and win it and we NEED desperately to win something! Baconface knows this - he knows that the first one is the hardest - after that it gets easier and he will be desperate to stop us coz he knows we will be like a fookin huge juggernaut afterwards.
Fingers crossed - all great teams need a stroke of big time luck and we´re no exception
Just think of "Stalin" (as I will now refer to Baconface) -Mark Robbins twice in 90 saved that coont´s job, Lids selling Cuntanhalf ,the 7 mins against Wed
Something needs to go for us and then we might just be laughing

We can win the league because there's a chance that we'll get more points than everyone else - but I don't believe we will.

It worries me that people think everything will suddenly happen overnight. These things take time. Cementing 4th spot plus a cup final will be sufficient progress for a City side still developing and for a Manager who has barely been in the job for a calendar year. I want to see progress throughout and any crisis handled well - but I'm also remaining patient.

We've certainly all been waiting long enough.

It's still possible but we need the rags to slip up, i am sure they wont go the whole season undefeated and the real test for them will come when the champs league starts and it stretches their ageing squad. We need to go on a winning run to apply pressure on them, win at their place and hope Chelsea do the same.

Marvin said:
Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
Given that next month is full of games in the FA Cup, Chimps League and League I reckon we refrain from throwing ourselves off any high buildings until March at least. Just a thought...
I think we will pick up more point than anyone else over the remaining weeks, but whether that will be enough I don't know. Utd only seem to play well when their opposition don't turn up. Birmingham's performance was a disgrace, but I suppose Utd have earned that reputation over the years so some teams turn up defeated at Kick Off. No one rolls over for us

I agree with that. We don't possess that aura, that presence that, really, very few teams possess. When United are on the fixture list of anyone they'll be in the back of their minds, they'll be awake at night thinking about what might happen. Some had lost the game before the game day! When we're on the fixture list of anyone they're hungry to do us over. Teams take to the pitch and aren't scared of us yet. This gains teams like United numerous points over the season. We still need a few years of building and developing before we gain this ultimate respect of everyone else.

We also haven't won over the referees yet. We haven't been around the top of the league for long enough for the referees to be scared of giving the potential for us to drop points or for them to feel they have to give us decisions to gain points.

Winning the league is not just about having good players. We've arguably got the best squad (although quite a few of our squad really are t good enough nor contribute enough to our capaign) in the league; but we aren't an excellent TEAM yet. And also these factors (^^) are yet to be stamped into our name.

We have lost one game and suddenly we are out of the race ? You could argue that the rags have 3 points on us and could have 6 by wednesday morning but they still have to play chelsea twice , arsenal and ourselves aswell as go to anfield . It was just a bad day where our opponents played pathetic excuses for a football team when one team out of nowhere beats us by a scrappy 1-0 . But that is football , the rags and arsenal will all drop points at some points and when they play hard games , we will have the easier games . It is january and the league is not decided in january . We are not out of anything , the arse are 1 point ahead of us and the rags are only 3 . We have alot more games to play , but the influential one will be when we go to old trafford , we have a chance to throw a spanner in the works and throw the bastards off track and I am now relishing that game .

Said from the beginning that I'm happy with Top 4 and a Final/Trophy. We've got the players I think, I just don't think we're ready as a Team yet.

Blue Elmo said:
We have lost one game and suddenly we are out of the race ? You could argue that the rags have 3 points on us and could have 6 by wednesday morning but they still have to play chelsea twice , arsenal and ourselves aswell as go to anfield . It was just a bad day where our opponents played pathetic excuses for a football team when one team out of nowhere beats us by a scrappy 1-0 . But that is football , the rags and arsenal will all drop points at some points and when they play hard games , we will have the easier games . It is january and the league is not decided in january . We are not out of anything , the arse are 1 point ahead of us and the rags are only 3 . We have alot more games to play , but the influential one will be when we go to old trafford , we have a chance to throw a spanner in the works and throw the bastards off track and I am now relishing that game .

When you look at how we played at Spurs and Arsenal I feel we will play no differently at United. We were fortunate to come away with a point in both of them games, both teams hammered our goal in the first half. But United are much more ruthless than both Spurs and Arsenal. I think if we don't go to win the game not only will we not win, but I think we'll lose. But I do think we'll just play the same way and go for a draw and we'll get nowt.

When Mancini doesn't think we're good enough to go and win games against our surrounding teams at the top, it spells out that we aren't good enough to win the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.