Anyone met a famous celebrity and worth a post?

I met Mike Tyson in January 2000, he was in England for the first time and was staying at the Grosvenor hotel London, I was in the Royal Free hospital London having a week of tests for a brain tumour I had been diagnosed with. I did some sketches of Iron Mike to pass the time and someone said I should send them to him, so I packed them up and paid a black cab driver to drop them off at his hotel. I called the Grosvenor when the week was up and they said best go down there to see if he received my drawings. When I got there it was packed with people wanting to meet him, absolutely full, so with scores of others I waited in the press room, after a few minutes one of his guys came in and said Mike wanted to see me, so I went up to his suite and we chatted he made me coffee, was incredible at the time, he called me sir and said “ hey Lee are you related to the Krays” . I was invited back the next day to watch him training and went to see him again in the June, at the time he asked me how much he owed me for the sketches and I said nothing I didn’t do them for money, he said I was more of a friend than all his people, they only wanted money from him.

Attachments

• 20E3AC09-75E1-4EB3-BFA9-397A4011CA70.jpeg
    20E3AC09-75E1-4EB3-BFA9-397A4011CA70.jpeg
    638.8 KB · Views: 77
I met Mike Tyson in January 2000, he was in England for the first time and was staying at the Grosvenor hotel London, I was in the Royal Free hospital London having a week of tests for a brain tumour I had been diagnosed with. I did some sketches of Iron Mike to pass the time and someone said I should send them to him, so I packed them up and paid a black cab driver to drop them off at his hotel. I called the Grosvenor when the week was up and they said best go down there to see if he received my drawings. When I got there it was packed with people wanting to meet him, absolutely full, so with scores of others I waited in the press room, after a few minutes one of his guys came in and said Mike wanted to see me, so I went up to his suite and we chatted he made me coffee, was incredible at the time, he called me sir and said “ hey Lee are you related to the Krays” . I was invited back the next day to watch him training and went to see him again in the June, at the time he asked me how much he owed me for the sketches and I said nothing I didn’t do them for money, he said I was more of a friend than all his people, they only wanted money from him.
A brilliant story. Can I take it that your tumour was successfully dealt with, since you are still with us?

I had the chance to meet Princess Di in 92. She came to the shipyard to launch the first Trident sub and I was right at the front of the rope line where she had to turn to walk up the gangplank. After she’d done the honours she walked back the way she came and was staring right at me. We had been prepped that she would be shaking hands etc but as she got closer and closer to me and looked me right in the eyes I bottled it and put my head down. I totally blanked her! She was incredibly beautiful in the flesh even to me who up to that point wasn’t a fan. Still bothers me all these years later that I never said “Hello”.

I met Hasselhoff at his own book signing and managed to get a handshake. This was when he was still a drinker and I suspect he was under the influence that very day as he sounded nothing like he did on the telly, more like a Californian stoner......yo maaaaan!

A life well lived and a man who doesn't appear to take himself too seriously. He knows he's tragic. In my eyes people always win a few more points for that, a bit like Robbie Williams. Here's to you Hoff;

I was at a NW Sports Personality of the Year do at the Piccadilly Hotel in the 80s.
Expensive tickets all for charity, we had a table from work.
You could get autographs at the top table. I got Jimmy Frizzell, Eddie Large, Bernard Manning and then i waltzed past Ferguson. He tapped me on the shoulder and said " do you not want mine son" to which i politely replied "no thanks".
"blue are you" he asked to which i said yes. The FA Cup was on the table, he said " touch that son, it's the closest you'll ever fucking get to it". Quite amusing but it was great to prove him wrong in 2011.

I was at a NW Sports Personality of the Year do at the Piccadilly Hotel in the 80s.
Expensive tickets all for charity, we had a table from work.
You could get autographs at the top table. I got Jimmy Frizzell, Eddie Large, Bernard Manning and then i waltzed past Ferguson. He tapped me on the shoulder and said " do you not want mine son" to which i politely replied "no thanks".
"blue are you" he asked to which i said yes. The FA Cup was on the table, he said " touch that son, it's the closest you'll ever fucking get to it". Quite amusing but it was great to prove him wrong in 2011.
Perhaps that's where me and you differ. (See my post te Buchan) absolutely no way would I have allowed the drunken skunk to say that to me unanswered...... and my answer would not have been polite and it wouldn't have been clever but the piss soaked cretin would not be smiling.

Roy Paul a few times, he was my best mates uncle when I was a nipper.
Clive Thomas the ref. His mother lived directly opposite me in the seventies. He was a very arrogant bloke. Paul Whitehouse on a train. Tom Baker (dr Who) Alf from Home and Away. Prince Charles in Germany (army) Will Carling, JPR Williams who told me that RL is better than Union and Barry John who's always having a swig in the Borough pub in Cardiff.
My daughter works at the Vale resort outside Cardiff and reported the presence of what she described as a creepy old man loitering in the carpark. Manuel Pellegrini the morning before the 3-2 defeat to Cardiff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.