Are we clearly suffering from a lack of striker this season? Have midtable sides figured us out?

ok so there are times a ball is fired accross the box and we dont have a striker.

but there are many times when if we had a striker we wouldnt be firing those balls accross, we wouldnt be creating, we wouldnt dictate.

I do think the season tally would be any different, we are unique under pep in the way that we play, i think any other team in the prem would struggle.

the problem is the right striker at the right price. We know the standard of player they want but a half decent striker demands 80m plus, then the agent and club director ask for 120m. The market is a joke, so i would rather see us continue as we are until the right time and player comes up. I am glad we didnt go for lukaku.

haaland is beginning to turn in to a soap, its pissing me off before they start making offers.

the right striker can not be bought ? its always a gamble even with the best in the world you just never know
pep knows his onions and we trust him to deliver the goods and who am i to disagree. but after sterling missing that shocker at the weekend. i got a flash back to the champions league final last season and thought would you put your house on him scoring one on one to win the champions league ??

i think that is the reason why so many of us want a kane or haaland striker to kill the game off in pressure moments .
who would you trust in the city squad in a false 9 to win us the big game. they all have their moments of madness in front of goal and you never know until its to late to fix

We score a bucket load of goal each season without a forward. The need to change our approach is not urgent.

Plan B is useless if plan A works so well.

I would like us to have the option of a CF in order to change our approach depending on how the game is panning out. The dilemma is thus… do we buy a player like felix who would enable us to continue our current approach and maybe improve upon it. Or do we need to be able to change the game with a battery ram up front. What happens if we buy Haaland for example and the team as a whole function to a lower standard. Don’t fix if its not broken.

It pains me to say it but Felix is the obvious choice over Haaland. Stick or twist?

Kane imo was a mixture of both a false 9 and a CF and why I still believe he would have been a great success.

We hit the post, missed two sitters and scored. We had 20 shots and 5 on target.

We are undefeated since October, have won 12/13 games, and 6 points clear at the top of the league.

If that is the blueprint then I can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Edit: I see you were predicting our downfall in late October, and rather than let it sink to the bottom of the forum you've dredged it back up having been well and truly wrong 13 games later the first time we've dropped points?!
how many clear cut chance inside the box I would say 1 which was a joke of an attempt by sterling

So since Soton revealed their blueprint in the 0-0 draw at the Etihad, the decline of our false 9 system has seen us amass 47 points out of 54 from fixtures including away games at Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal and Utd.

I don't think it's a very reliable blueprint
doing it once can be luck but doing it twice the same way creates a blue print other coaches can take a closer look at. watch how the coaches adapt in the second part of the season. but for your information spurs and palace also used very similar tactics but not as well executed as southampton.

I think we need the option of a striker. There are matches and moments where we're just crying out for movement in the box and someone with a poacher's instinct.

But the false 9/no striker approach has us top of the league and top scorers, so I doubt we're looking to totally change how we play, or always play with a target man.

So we've got to be careful who we bring in, as if they're going to get any significant game time they also need to be able to adapt aspects of their game to how we play.
not only to score goals but also to use our wingers better. when we use Foden and sterling in the natural side we need a focal point in the middle to bring them more into the play

sorry to bring this up again, but these are the exact kind of games that show us what we are missing in our team. as I said before southampton press us differently to any other english side. they do not high press and at the same time won't drop back, they block the middle of the pitch and press the center of the pitch and prevent the ball moving through the middle.

When our false 9 came deep to receive the ball there was no one near their box and at the same time they have double marked our wingers out of the game. so essentially there was only two way to progress the ball and both of it involves using a striker who can hold up the ball under pressure and also score. because of the way they press the free men for us will be our fullbacks. so essentially you either use the free fullbacks inside and make them pass to the big center forward who can hold the ball and pass to midfield runners who go beyond him or you use the fullbacks outside to cross to the forward in the box. we had neither today.

I feel southampton have given a very good blueprint to beat our false 9 system and I feel we are in for a tough season end without a forward and the decline of our false 9 system has started. I think right now this system we have makes tight matches a 50/50 game we might not score and lose some of the important games I feel and especially in the CL it is going to be tough.
gLrWjmW6XljZC.gif

the right striker can not be bought ? its always a gamble even with the best in the world you just never know
pep knows his onions and we trust him to deliver the goods and who am i to disagree. but after sterling missing that shocker at the weekend. i got a flash back to the champions league final last season and thought would you put your house on him scoring one on one to win the champions league ??

i think that is the reason why so many of us want a kane or haaland striker to kill the game off in pressure moments .
who would you trust in the city squad in a false 9 to win us the big game. they all have their moments of madness in front of goal and you never know until its to late to fix
this is the exactly correct spot on response that no one here seems to understand. I the tight and tough games we no longer have the consistent clear cut chance creation because there is no focal point and if by some miracle we get into that position we mess it up like sterling did in the last game. this is why the final stages of the league and the CL are going to be difficult for us as the lack of striker makes our result a 50/50 chance even though we are completely dominating the game in a possession sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.