Are we dining at the top table or not?

TGR said:
Without a doubt we are now dining at the top table and in the not to distant future it will be our table that everyone is dining at.
However, on arrival at the top table we have possibly found out that the company of the other guests around the table is not
as honourable as we had been led to believe or would have liked. In fact if the truth be told the company around the table stinks!
Footballing wise it is the only game in town so we now need to spend our time, resources and influence on making sure we stay at
the top table. I am more than confident that we are doing this regardless of the obstacles & barriers being placed in our way.
In time not only will we become accepted at the top table we will be calling the shots.
Nobody can stop us. They can slow us down. They can divert us. But they can't stop us and they are just starting to realise it.

I admire your optimism - but I think the only thing they are realising is that they have been successful in stopping us in our tracks.
What if (and I really hope I'm wrong) the last 6 years turn out to be as good as it gets?
The thing is I can't see where we are going to get the revenue from to give us parity with the elite - I really can't, not just being a pessimistic old tw@t. At the moment we have a great team but a team that will still come up short in the Champs League; we got this team by spending like mad before FFP really came down on us - going forward can we attract such players under FFP??? Genuine question, even if full of gloom.
We need massive investment from sponsors - but the more attractive the supposed elite are now making themselves, the more competition there is for truly massive deals.
You say that "time" is the key - but do we have time before our team needs replacing or we get more unhappy campers who are also worried about us being disallowed/excluded from signing top quality to play alongside them.

Yes - the last few days have taken their toll on me!

Hihosilva said:
I think that Pellegrini is looking to change the system mostly to a 4-2-3-1 in which case 3 strikers should be enough.
The strongest line up for me is.

Hart

Zabaleta Kompany Mangala Kolarov

Fenandinho Fernando

Nasri Yaya Silva

Aguero

What has given you the impression that Pellegrini is looking to stop playing 2 up front? Personally I would be happier if we played one up front more often too but the point is that it has to be because the manager thinks it is tactically the right decision and not just because the balance of his squad dictates it.

Chippy_boy said:
Lancet Fluke said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I think the wisdom of the Negredo decision, notwithstanding his putative personal issues, can only be properly evaluated from the time he starts playing for Valencia, up to if (and when) we sign someone to 'replace' him in January.

He may not have featured for over 50% of the first half of the season, which people seem to be forgetting when evaluating this deal.

It may well also be a calculated risk, based on a revised appraisal of the Jovetic and Aguero injury situation going forward.

At the risk of sounding like an adherent to a religious cult, I think we have to trust those running our club, who are in full purview of the facts in relation to this, to make the right decision. I think they've earned that right.
I wasn't really that arsed whether we kept negredo or not just think if he was going to be allowed to leave it could have been done months ago. As it was the club kept saying he wasn't for sale when clubs showed interest but when it really came down to it we did sell but at a point where alternatives couldn't be sourced. Regardless of whether he is injured and doesn't play till October, I don't think it was handled particularly well. Other than the striker situation I think the window has been fine considering uefa's bullshit but I do think we are now ridiculously exposed if aguero continues to have problems with his muscles which I fear he will.

Too much is made of him being unavailable until October in my view. We have to hope and expect we will go deep into 4 competitions this season (although the CL group is certainly going to be a challenge). It's towards the end of the season when we have been playing the same strikers twice a week for months that we might really miss him.

Still, as I said, this is old news now. It's September 2nd and we are where we are. Let's move on.
We have another window before that happens where we have 50m quite possibly more

We have guidetti and kelechi as 4th strikers until jan 1 in the event of emergencies

EalingBlue2 said:
Chippy_boy said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I wasn't really that arsed whether we kept negredo or not just think if he was going to be allowed to leave it could have been done months ago. As it was the club kept saying he wasn't for sale when clubs showed interest but when it really came down to it we did sell but at a point where alternatives couldn't be sourced. Regardless of whether he is injured and doesn't play till October, I don't think it was handled particularly well. Other than the striker situation I think the window has been fine considering uefa's bullshit but I do think we are now ridiculously exposed if aguero continues to have problems with his muscles which I fear he will.

Too much is made of him being unavailable until October in my view. We have to hope and expect we will go deep into 4 competitions this season (although the CL group is certainly going to be a challenge). It's towards the end of the season when we have been playing the same strikers twice a week for months that we might really miss him.

Still, as I said, this is old news now. It's September 2nd and we are where we are. Let's move on.
We have another window before that happens where we have 50m quite possibly more

We have guidetti and kelechi as 4th strikers until jan 1 in the event of emergencies

Is Kelechi getting that work permit then? I was under the impression that it was by no means guaranteed and if anything going to be problematic. As for Guidetti, I'd say it is pretty clear that nobody that matters at the club thinks he is up to the task of 4th choice striker considering we were trying to get rid last night despite the fact Negredo was going.

GaudinoMotors said:
TGR said:
Without a doubt we are now dining at the top table and in the not to distant future it will be our table that everyone is dining at.
However, on arrival at the top table we have possibly found out that the company of the other guests around the table is not
as honourable as we had been led to believe or would have liked. In fact if the truth be told the company around the table stinks!
Footballing wise it is the only game in town so we now need to spend our time, resources and influence on making sure we stay at
the top table. I am more than confident that we are doing this regardless of the obstacles & barriers being placed in our way.
In time not only will we become accepted at the top table we will be calling the shots.
Nobody can stop us. They can slow us down. They can divert us. But they can't stop us and they are just starting to realise it.

I admire your optimism - but I think the only thing they are realising is that they have been successful in stopping us in our tracks.
What if (and I really hope I'm wrong) the last 6 years turn out to be as good as it gets?
The thing is I can't see where we are going to get the revenue from to give us parity with the elite - I really can't, not just being a pessimistic old tw@t. At the moment we have a great team but a team that will still come up short in the Champs League; we got this team by spending like mad before FFP really came down on us - going forward can we attract such players under FFP??? Genuine question, even if full of gloom.
We need massive investment from sponsors - but the more attractive the supposed elite are now making themselves, the more competition there is for truly massive deals.
You say that "time" is the key - but do we have time before our team needs replacing or we get more unhappy campers who are also worried about us being disallowed/excluded from signing top quality to play alongside them.

Our revenue is in the top 6 in the world and growing our costs are coming down - exactly how are you worrying that our revenue won't let us compete when even now only 5 clubs in the world (one of whom is in more trouble than us) can compete today and 3 of those 5 are saddled with huge debt.

As for the question of dining at the top table a lot of fans are behaving like nouveau riche believing that shouting loadsamoney and spunking money on truffle and caviar infused champagne halibut (that you don't even like) because it is the most expensive thing on the menu is how the rich behave - it isn't

Hihosilva said:
I think that Pellegrini is looking to change the system mostly to a 4-2-3-1 in which case 3 strikers should be enough.

Hart

Fenandinho Fernando

Nasri Yaya Silva

Aguero

I doubt if selling Negrado signals a move to playing one striker. Pellers stated he needed 4 strikers and we played with two in pre season and in all three matches to date. To suddenly rip this up on transfer deadline day would be absurd. It's the sort of decision you make 2 months ago, shape your squad according and practise it in pre season.

The reason why we are trying to rationalise this sale after the event is because it is contrary to how we have done our recent business and we are endeavouring to make sense of it. My own view is that we allowed ourselves to be distracted by the possibility of getting Falcao and set in motion a deal for Negrado we deemed prudent to complete despite the Falcao deal going tits. Financially it is a good deal but one that would have been better made a month ago.

Lancet Fluke said:
Hihosilva said:

Hart

Fenandinho Fernando

Nasri Yaya Silva

Aguero

What has given you the impression that Pellegrini is looking to stop playing 2 up front? Personally I would be happier if we played one up front more often too but the point is that it has to be because the manager thinks it is tactically the right decision and not just because the balance of his squad dictates it.

Well, firstly I don't think that he would have let Negrado leave if he intended to play with two up top. He is also possibly thinking that Yaya does leave us a little exposed at the back when he plays in that deeper role. Fernandinho & Fernando behind Yaya for me is a more solid.
Yaya further up the field is a better position for him & a frightening prospect for the opposition.

EalingBlue2 said:
GaudinoMotors said:
TGR said:

Our revenue is in the top 6 in the world and growing our costs are coming down - exactly how are you worrying that our revenue won't let us compete when even now only 5 clubs in the world (one of whom is in more trouble than us) can compete today and 3 of those 5 are saddled with huge debt.

As for the question of dining at the top table a lot of fans are behaving like nouveau riche believing that shouting loadsamoney and spunking money on truffle and caviar infused champagne halibut (that you don't even like) because it is the most expensive thing on the menu is how the rich behave - it isn't

Thanks

My concern is that our revenue is based solely on our success. Success that was achived before FFP; I'm hoping we can maintain both but now the others have woken up and been aided by our FFP handicap .
I like caviar infused champagne halibut so wouldn't spunk on it.

BobKowalski said:
Hihosilva said:

Hart

Fenandinho Fernando

Nasri Yaya Silva

Aguero

I doubt if selling Negrado signals a move to playing one striker. Pellers stated he needed 4 strikers and we played with two in pre season and in all three matches to date. To suddenly rip this up on transfer deadline day would be absurd. It's the sort of decision you make 2 months ago, shape your squad according and practise it in pre season.

The reason why we are trying to rationalise this sale after the event is because it is contrary to how we have done our recent business and we are endeavouring to make sense of it. My own view is that we allowed ourselves to be distracted by the possibility of getting Falcao and set in motion a deal for Negrado we deemed prudent to complete despite the Falcao deal going tits. Financially it is a good deal but one that would have been better made a month ago.

I do agree and also think there was a point in the last 48 hours where Falcao coming here was a real possibility and this kick started us into allowing Negredo to talk to Valencia. Something changed with the Falcao deal and I think we looked at Negredo's injury situation and thought it was one we could handle until the next window at least and the deal was too good to walk away from.

Hihosilva said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Hihosilva said:

Hart

Fenandinho Fernando

Nasri Yaya Silva

Aguero

Well, firstly I don't think that he would have let Negrado leave if he intended to play with two up top. He is also possibly thinking that Yaya does leave us a little exposed at the back when he plays in that deeper role. Fernandinho & Fernando behind Yaya for me is a more solid.
Yaya further up the field is a better position for him & a frightening prospect for the opposition.

Has there been anything happening on the pitch that has led you to believe that he is seeking a change from two up front? I'm not really interested in whether you would play one up front because Yaya leaves us a bit exposed (FWIW I agree with you) because that is just your opinion and we are discussing whether Pellegrini is looking to change the system which is what you suggested. I'd be amazed if Pellegrini is happy for Txiki to have let Negredo go and not replaced him. Something else that concerns me about yesterday that seems to have gone under the radar is that it looked to me like we were actively trying to get rid of Nastasic. Now Kompany doesn't have the greatest unjury record and it would have left us with just 3 senior centre backs if he'd gone. That for me would have been even worse than what happened with the strikers. Thank goodness Nastasic didn't want to go. But why were we trying to leave ourselves with 3 centre backs and 3 strikers when we play 2 of each in more or less every game?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.