Are we getting more popular abroad?

I'm not surprised about the City gear popping up in Dublin, but what I am surprised about is lifestyle sports(our major chain) now gives us as much shelf space as the Rags. Considering 5 years ago you'd be lucky to find a home shirt, seeing polos, tracksuits and kids stuff marks a sea change!

This is certainly true.. I travel a lot and have seen many many folk wearing city shirts in Singapore, Malaysia, and a lot in the UAE and middle east lately. Makes a nice change from seeing the red and dark blue all over the place as in previous years.

Many die hard fans with Manchester post codes dont like this i know.. but we are truly a global club now.

In Germany, at least in the southwestern part where I live, there seems to be very little progress.
No City shirt in sight, the department stores seem to be stuck in the last century because they only sell shirts of the former "top four" PL clubs, plus even Newcastle, Tottenham or Everton, but no City. I thought that had something to do with Umbro, but it did not change this season with Nike.
In their majority, the German kids seem to be content to support Bayern or Dortmund or one of the local teams.
Mind, ten years ago we had to endure a tidal wave of "Beckham" shirts over here, at least THAT is over, now you see the young ones wearing "Messi".
So being a German City supporter still has a bit of a lonely feel to it. Maybe another win (or a couple of wins) against Bayern in the CL would change that - usually works wonders for popularity over here! But with all the FFP talk at the moment I doubt even that. So yes, more people know who I am talking about when I go on about City, but as long as we are seen as the money throwing Sheik club (which is the picture the media over here presents of us), it will be hard to win people over. But that might change, and when we continue to play such enjoyable football, continue to win and lose in style and get a couple of youth players through the ranks again, people might take a closer look and might discover the soul of our club - and might love it as we do.
The future is bright, the future is blue!

MeatHunterrr said:
Yes, absolutely. Even here in cold Finland where ice hockey dominates.
Arse fans infinitely more numerous tho when City played them in a pre-season game in Helsinki last summer.

Not many Brits present there it seemed to me. Had a nice chat with a Manc lady in front of the team hotel tho, waiting for the players & staff to arrive the previous day.

Edit. In the pubs it's mostly pool, rags & arse tops on match days. City tops numbers on the rise these last years. There's a pub with City stuff on the walls in Tampere. The owner's been a fan since he was a nipper. A Finnish geezer too.

IrelandSuperman said:
MeatHunterrr said:
Yes, absolutely. Even here in cold Finland where ice hockey dominates.
Arse fans infinitely more numerous tho when City played them in a pre-season game in Helsinki last summer.

Not many Brits present there it seemed to me. Had a nice chat with a Manc lady in front of the team hotel tho, waiting for the players & staff to arrive the previous day.

Edit. In the pubs it's mostly pool, rags & arse tops on match days. City tops numbers on the rise these last years. There's a pub with City stuff on the walls in Tampere. The owner's been a fan since he was a nipper. A Finnish geezer too.

Yes there were way more Arsenal fans in Helsinki than City, but say 5 years ago here in Finland everybody talked about rags mainly.. or never heard about City quite the opposite now. Even tho dippers and rags dominate the fan base here still.. but thats not surprise as they are decades ahead.

Well, I watched yesterday's game in the Irish bar here in Innsbruck and was the only blue. Was nice tho, surrounded by pissed-off plastic scousers! So, not more popular in Austria yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.