Argentina national team with Falklands banner

The Ox said:
I've often wondered how other fans would react to Kun, Zaba & Martin if it all kicked off again with Argentina.
Ultimately I came to the conclusion that deep down no one actually gives a shit.
I'm 40 now so don't really remember the feeling at the time politically, but how were Ardiles and Villa treated by opposing fans ?
Given a hard time by the Kippax: "what's it like to lose a war?" was the refrain.

The Ox said:
I've often wondered how other fans would react to Kun, Zaba & Martin if it all kicked off again with Argentina.
Ultimately I came to the conclusion that deep down no one actually gives a shit.
I'm 40 now so don't really remember the feeling at the time politically, but how were Ardiles and Villa treated by opposing fans ?

I'm 44, so only a few years older than you, but I can remember when spuds reached the cup final again in 1982, their manager Keith Burkinshaw dropped Ardiles and Villa because of the dispute and (possibly) the reaction they could face

The Ox said:

Both went out on loan I think. PSG springs to mind.
EDIT: Ardilles definitely did, maybe Villa stayed.

I was 10 or 11 at the time of the conflict and this sounds awful, but it was almost glorified at my school. We did a big project on it. Everyone had to write resumes about some of the protagonists. Thatcher, Galtieiri, Ian Macdonald, John Knott etc. The ones who got the gold stars were those who wrote in glowing terms about the British Government officials. Wasn't much sympathy offered when the Belgrano was sank.

The Ox said:

Villa went back to Argie land, Ardilles was loaned out to PSG (or Racing Club Paris) and did get some stick on return.

Of course one has to look no further than City to understand what a bunch of forgiving souls we are with Bert Trautmann and in the 90's walking around wearing German uniforms and t shirts declaring Rosler's granddad bombed OT!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
The Ox said:

Villa went back to Argie land, Ardilles was loaned out to PSG (or Racing Club Paris) and did get some stick on return.

Of course one has to look no further than City to understand what a bunch of forgiving souls we are with Bert Trautmann and in the 90's walking around wearing German uniforms and t shirts declaring Rosler's granddad bombed OT!

They bombed Stan Boardman's chip shop too........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcK0E3Nql0[/youtube]

Blue Punter said:
I was 10 or 11 at the time of the conflict and this sounds awful, but it was almost glorified at my school. We did a big project on it. Everyone had to write resumes about some of the protagonists. Thatcher, Galtieiri, Ian Macdonald, John Knott etc. The ones who got the gold stars were those who wrote in glowing terms about the British Government officials. Wasn't much sympathy offered when the Belgrano was sank.
I was in the sixth form and we had a chart on the wall where 'incidents' were marked on as they happened - it was like a giant real life game of Battleships - until a teacher came and confiscated it... kids eh?

I was in the forces at the time of the incident and this little escapade doesn't bother me one jot.

What bothers me is the hyperbole surrounding small infringements that mean very little and will amount to just that.

Stay calm smile and just carry on regardless.

Crab Paste! said:
kinkysleftfoot said:
urmston said:
Can't say I'm bothered by the banner.

If the Argentinian team want to hold up banners saying the moon is made of cheese, that UFOs are real, that ghosts exist or that the Falklands are Argentinian then let them get on with it.

There are no laws against making an idiot of yourself.

People on both sides lost their lives in that war. Banners like that are extremely offensive to their memories.

It's impossible to offend a memory.
Exactly. Total bollocks.

No doubt their president had a say in the matter. The players and people probably couldn't give a shite about the Falklands. Poor economical situation in Argentina right now, immediate resolution for their president is to bring up the Falklands.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.