Arm v painful after lifting in the gym 6 weeks on.

Thanks folks - definitely centred around the elbow and lower arm rather than shoulder, but to follow up I've had a look and surgery is mentioned a few times.
It's improved a little over the past few weeks but nowhere near 'better' or close to doing any type of gym lifting.

It's the rehabilitation post surgery that would concern me. Can't afford to take any time off work (for many, many reasons) and it's a role that required dexterity with both hands (computer based).

I can replicate the pain by clenching my fist and lifting my arm up (as is bicep curling). The pain runs from my lower arm to the elbow (but not higher). I'll do a some research as mentioned above.

I think a physio will be a good start. I'm no spring chicken but being on top of my health and fitness is massively important for me.

Thanks all.

If you think it is a tendon have a google of rotator cuff tear and read the symptoms to make sure it isn't that. It doesn't heal on it's own so needs surgical intervention.

I only know of this because I had a shoulder strain from lying awkward a few weeks back and this popped up in the results and read out of curiousity.
I had a rotator cuff tear of 95% and it didn’t need surgery. When it happened to me I couldn’t lift my arm above horizontal. There was no associated pain either.

He is doing bicep curls so why rotator cuff?

Clearly something has been torn and you need it diagnosed by a physio to get recovery exercises and stent of tear. The worst thing you can do is try to start lifting again, accept you may have to build it back it over months if lucky.

Somapop
Each to their own but I learned after years of pretending that I could self diagnose that getting a professional opinion was the best way forward for my leg and back problems.
Unfortunately, sometimes even a physio will make a best guess and scans are the only reliable answer.
For me the cost of the professional diagnosis outweighed the pain of not being able to do what I wanted to do.
Pay for the initial consultation with the physio. If you are really lucky your doctor may refer you.
Good luck.

Sounds like a tennis elbow type tendinitis type injury.

OP, does ibuprofen take the pain away? If so then it’s definitely inflamed and very likely a form of tendinitis?

He is doing bicep curls so why rotator cuff?

Clearly something has been torn and you need it diagnosed by a physio to get recovery exercises and stent of tear. The worst thing you can do is try to start lifting again, accept you may have to build it back it over months if lucky.
As already said.its unlikely in this case but it's very impossible to experience bicep pain with a shoulder injury.The Op has stated its more lower arm now though so it definitely sounds more localised.

Yep,RICE/anti inflammatories and then rehab is the best advice.

Just for info.....if anyone does have a shoulder twinge,or just as good practice post lifting/pressing.....hanging dead from a bar (vary hand grip) for a few mins as part of a warm down is one of the best preventative measures you can perform.

May have lifted with poor form if you upped the weight too much.

Cheat on girls; not on curls
:)

Hi folks.
Does anyone have any experience with injuries lifting (specifically bicep curls)?
I jumped up a weight over 6 weeks ago but probably went a little too far too quickly (from dumbbells to barbells).

Feels like a tendon has been damaged and I'd been unable to even loft my arm without pain for a while. There's an area around the elbow which is very sensitive too (if I knock it, that too is really painful). Slowly recovering but nowhere near getting back into the gym (at least for weights - I'm still doing running, yoga, pilates etc).
I feel like a trip to the GP would ultimately take far too long to get an answer (and that's if I even get an appointment). Physio is an option but won't be cheap.

The gym is one of those habits I need to keep everything tip top wellbeing wise so keen for this to get better.
Yes. I lift weights at the age of 52. I've had maybe 3 similar injuries and at my age they take 3-6 months to heal. I'm not expert but I've basically found physio and doctors to be a waste of time and money and time to be the only healer. Give it a few weeks to ease and then change your exercises so you don't isolate the damaged muscle.

This is strictly an amateur opinion based on expereince.

Hi folks.
Does anyone have any experience with injuries lifting (specifically bicep curls)?
I jumped up a weight over 6 weeks ago but probably went a little too far too quickly (from dumbbells to barbells).

Feels like a tendon has been damaged and I'd been unable to even loft my arm without pain for a while. There's an area around the elbow which is very sensitive too (if I knock it, that too is really painful). Slowly recovering but nowhere near getting back into the gym (at least for weights - I'm still doing running, yoga, pilates etc).
I feel like a trip to the GP would ultimately take far too long to get an answer (and that's if I even get an appointment). Physio is an option but won't be cheap.

The gym is one of those habits I need to keep everything tip top wellbeing wise so keen for this to get better.
ha ha GP visit i'll cut middle man out he'll send you straight to A&E the doctors are pulled out you know

Sounds like a tennis elbow type tendinitis type injury.

OP, does ibuprofen take the pain away? If so then it’s definitely inflamed and very likely a form of tendinitis?
I've just grabbed some so will take a few and see how I get on.
It's not hugely painful, but if I grip anything (even empty air) I can feel it twinge all the way down my lower arm.

What's also odd is if I knock the elbow (the 'funny bone' area....god the irony) it's quite painful.
I stopped playing tennis a few years ago when my shoulder went after 'twitting' too many hard serves and then during lockdown I did a bit of skateboarding with my daughter and came off (twice) and landed on my shoulder.
Wouldn't mind going back to tennis as it happens. Will never put me off doing stuff though....not doing exercise ends up making the most amount of noise/pain in my mind.

As an aside, my core and back ache (which plagued me for years) has been totally eradicated due to yoga/pilates.
I'll do a run of ibuprofen, see if there are any potential low level recovery exercises then if not successful will definitely find a physio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.