Arm v painful after lifting in the gym 6 weeks on.

I lift at the gym regularly and I am also prone to tennis elbow pretty easily as well. These pains are likely due to over use and it's best to take a day or two off, sometimes just bosh a painkiller.

Slowly recovering but nowhere near getting back into the gym (at least for weights - I'm still doing running, yoga, pilates etc).
Just be patient and carry on with the quoted part. You're exercising so it's not like your fitness will disappear.

Yeah - I should add (and I'd forgotten until I lifted something down from the cupboard earlier) I do feel it slightly in the biceps too - so from the wrist to the up the lower arm and to the biceps but mainly in the elbow.
I'd gone from bicep curling a 10kg dumbbell in each arm to the barbell of 25kg (missing out a few incremental weight increases) as a built up....maybe I went up to 30kg and over did it. Rather than naturally lift a heavier weight I started to use a bit of momentum to pull up. Hence why it's good to have a PT checking all this stuff.
Rookie mistakes!

Just hoping it mends up over the next few weeks otherwise I'l definitely source a physio.

Wondering a few pull ups will help strengthen but I'll look into and keep an eye on it.

Yeah - I should add (and I'd forgotten until I lifted something down from the cupboard earlier) I do feel it slightly in the biceps too - so from the wrist to the up the lower arm and to the biceps but mainly in the elbow.
I'd gone from bicep curling a 10kg dumbbell in each arm to the barbell of 25kg (missing out a few incremental weight increases) as a built up....maybe I went up to 30kg and over did it. Rather than naturally lift a heavier weight I started to use a bit of momentum to pull up. Hence why it's good to have a PT checking all this stuff.
Rookie mistakes!

Just hoping it mends up over the next few weeks otherwise I'l definitely source a physio.

Wondering a few pull ups will help strengthen but I'll look into and keep an eye on it.
Ice and rest

Rookie mistakes!

I had a similar pain to your description when climbing. Held on to a hold too long, little click and I had pain throughout my forearm into my elbow.

Little bit of a strain on the tendon. Advice from my mate who works in muscle rehabilitation post op was keep it heated often, move it in the pain free manner I can often. Keep circulation high as this aids recovery and then continue exercising in means that will be pain free. Also worked on mobility of surrounding joints - wrist and shoulder.

All good now. Followed this and was climbing again 6 weeks later.

I had a similar pain to your description when climbing. Held on to a hold too long, little click and I had pain throughout my forearm into my elbow.

Little bit of a strain on the tendon. Advice from my mate who works in muscle rehabilitation post op was keep it heated often, move it in the pain free manner I can often. Keep circulation high as this aids recovery and then continue exercising in means that will be pain free. Also worked on mobility of surrounding joints - wrist and shoulder.

All good now. Followed this and was climbing again 6 weeks later.
Hope you weren't free climbing at the time!

Thanks mate - heard a few things about light exercise (not bicep curls but stuff like pull ups).
Ibuprofen has helped today was it happens, but I think I'm around 6 weeks into this so not a quick return.

Hope you weren't free climbing at the time!

Thanks mate - heard a few things about light exercise (not bicep curls but stuff like pull ups).
Ibuprofen has helped today was it happens, but I think I'm around 6 weeks into this so not a quick return.
It took a while to lose all of the pain, I could feel a little niggle here and there for months after too. But as I’ve learned a number of times over the last couple of years, movement is medicine.

Bouldering luckily! So crash mats to hand!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.