Arsenal (A) | Community Shield | Post-match Thread

It‘s all relative, I suppose. Different clubs have different expectations. Bad times for us is not challenging for titles and apart from last season, we’ve been wide of the mark pretty much these last 2 decades. Now that City has reached the pinnacle not just of English football but of world football, I’d imagine your expectations have changed from say, where they were 15 years ago?

You do realise we were right at the very top of football in England and Europe in the late sixties/early seventies? Years of mismanagement under a certain Peter Swales set us back decades, but us FOC's remember where we were before it.

As for expectations most of us always thought at the start of every season that this would be the one where it all clicked into place and we would be back challenging. Reality soon set in though as the top four was as good as nailed on every season by the same four clubs. The huge amount of money and glamour the champions league participation gave them meant they hoovered up all the top talent and trophies. The only way anybody could challenge was a huge cash injection. That's what happened with Blackburn briefly and then Chelsea. Thankfully we sneaked through the door just in time before it was slammed shut. Our owners and club just do it better and boy do you redshirts hate it. Tough shit.

You do realise we were right at the very top of football in England and Europe in the late sixties/early seventies? Years of mismanagement under a certain Peter Swales set us back decades, but us FOC's remember where we were before it.

As for expectations most of us always thought at the start of every season that this would be the one where it all clicked into place and we would be back challenging. Reality soon set in though as the top four was as good as nailed on every season by the same four clubs. The huge amount of money and glamour the champions league participation gave them meant they hoovered up all the top talent and trophies. The only way anybody could challenge was a huge cash injection. That's what happened with Blackburn briefly and then Chelsea. Thankfully we sneaked through the door just in time before it was slammed shut. Our owners and club just do it better and boy do you redshirts hate it. Tough shit.

I am old enough to remember the 60s and 70s and the great City team back then. In some ways a more halcyon time when no team was dominant for long and I’d argue a more innocent time. As for your current success, don’t assume all ‘redshirt’ fans are the same. I certainly don’t begrudge you your success. Frankly, I’d prefer that to Man Utd or Liverpool dominating.

I am old enough to remember the 60s and 70s and the great City team back then. In some ways a more halcyon time when no team was dominant for long and I’d argue a more innocent time. As for your current success, don’t assume all ‘redshirt’ fans are the same. I certainly don’t begrudge you your success. Frankly, I’d prefer that to Man Utd or Liverpool dominating.

Yes that's because there wasn't as much money awash in the game then. That's why as good as Clough and Taylor were, a small town team like Forest and Derby could win the title.

We went and if it was like that every week I would stop going. There were a few trying to get songs going but they were pissing in the wind.
The club should have perhaps made it clear to the ST holders/SC and anyone else that wanted to sing then blocks A/B/C/D (for example- I know that are numbered but can’t remember them) would be designated singing sections. Had they got 3/4000 together in the same place then it would have worked better and also anyone not wanting that could have avoided it.

I heard from someone in the know that we sold less than 2000 to ST holders. How true that is I don’t know.

The club should have perhaps made it clear to the ST holders/SC and anyone else that wanted to sing then blocks A/B/C/D (for example- I know that are numbered but can’t remember them) would be designated singing sections. Had they got 3/4000 together in the same place then it would have worked better and also anyone not wanting that could have avoided it.

I heard from someone in the know that we sold less than 2000 to ST holders. How true that is I don’t know.

I think the club privately were delighted with the boycott and the outcome. We sold out not only our allocation but extra tickets which were given to us. This has given them an indication that we have grown a tourist/new fanbase that should ensure every game is a sell out, irrespective of what us old hands do. Wembley might not be a good marker though as for many it would have been a glamour day out and the prices were a lot cheaper than for a normal premier league game. As some of the old hands who did go, Cheesy and others noticed it does means a huge drop off in vocal support and atmosphere.

I think the club privately were delighted with the boycott and the outcome. We sold out not only our allocation but extra tickets which were given to us. This has given them an indication that we have grown a tourist/new fanbase that should ensure every game is a sell out, irrespective of what us old hands do. Wembley might not be a good marker though as for many it would have been a glamour day out and the prices were a lot cheaper than for a normal premier league game. As some of the old hands who did go, Cheesy and others noticed it means a huge drop off in vocal support and atmosphere.
To be fair though, without them it wouldn’t have been any louder as it would have been pretty empty. I thought it was good to see families in our end, perhaps getting their first ever Wembley experience.

I agree that the club will have been absolutely delighted. We have become the hottest ticket in town.

I know social media doesn’t mean much but this time last year we had 33m instagram followers. We now have 47m, above Liverpool! The Haaland signing and Treble has rocketed us. Advertisers will be all over this and clamouring to give us their money.

To be fair though, without them it wouldn’t have been any louder as it would have been pretty empty. I thought it was good to see families in our end, perhaps getting their first ever Wembley experience.

I agree that the club will have been absolutely delighted. We have become the hottest ticket in town.

I know social media doesn’t mean much but this time last year we had 33m instagram followers. We now have 47m, above Liverpool! The Haaland signing and Treble has rocketed us. Advertisers will be all over this and clamouring to give us their money.

Yes and no. An earlier kick off time or it being played at a ground closer and a lot more regulars would have gone.

It's a sign of success and although some aspects are annoying I'm sure many, including myself, welcome it. Those of us who have been around since n the dark days aren't going to be around forever sadly and we need new blood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.