Arsenal (H) | Post Match Thread

Watching it back, I think that's a sign of what to expect against Madrid. Let them have the ball but be mega fuckin' effective in transitions. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal had more of the ball last night but it could've been (and would be on another night) about 6 or 7-1.

We had more it was 52% vs 48% and that number is scewed by the fact that we took the foot off the gas at 3-0, it was higher at that point.

Personally I don't see us letting Madrid have the ball in either leg and I don't see Madrid attempting to keep the ball either. Last year in both games we had more possession comfortably.

The opionion out there in mediah land was that Arsenal folded.
What a load of rubbish. Arsenal played well. The press they applied was the best I have seen this season against City. Lesser teams would have folded under that pressure.
The problem for Arsenal is City have the best defence that we have had in the modern era and can pass their way out of the press with devastating counter attacks. Worse for our opponents, City are now equally comfortable using the press AND the alternate paradigm of defence/counter attack AND can move between them at will like a well oiled machine AND with Haaland and KDB they have the sharpest tools in the box to exploit the counter attack.
That was Arsenal's problem, and they need an alternative strategy to move onto the next level. To match City, Arsenal need to do the same. I've been impressed with Arteta since he rocked up at Arsenal and I'm sure he will get this right in a year or two - and yes it takes time to perfect.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a better performance from a City team. Maybe Arsenal were bad, I need to rewatch it with less alcohol and adrenaline in my blood, but we were absolutely stunning last night. Kev and Haaland playing like they were attached by string, Bernie and Grealish fucking everywhere with the ball glued to their feet, Stones and Rodri gliding through the game like chess players who knew Arsenal's next moves before them, Dias and Akanji and Walker patrolling their own half like the scariest school bullies you've ever seen, Ederson kicking long, landing the ball on a penny, and then giving the Arsenal fans shit. Just unreal. What a fucking team.
The only game I can think of at the moment that comes close was the away game at Chelsea when KDB (again) scored a screamer, that was a pretty sublime and complete performance too. We only scored one goal but it was a masterful performance.

He might not have put a couple of his chances away but in terms of his all round play, I thought that was Haaland’s best game for City and by a distance.

His hold up play & lays offs were near perfection and he always seemed to make the right choice as to where he was placing the ball to.

He totally deserved his goal in the end and he’s only going to get better and that will scare the shit out of our opponents.
I posted “Haaland developing nicely.” A bit tongue in cheek, but you are right, under Pep’s influence he will become a truly great CF.

Not sure if it's already been posted but thought it was piss poor of Jesus not to acknowledge the city fans clapping as he was subbed off. I guess he wishes he never left...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.