Arsenal "invincibles" or Chelsea 04-05?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14625
  • Start date
Neither, could name at least three City teams from the past 12 years better than either of them. The Arsenal team just drew alot of games and fu%k all else and can barely remember anything about that Chelsea team.

I hear a lot about the Arsenal 2003-04 "invincibles" team and season. I think a lot of the media type think it is the best season in the Premier League era. Now don't get me wrong, not losing a game is an incredible feat, but i think i'm more impressed by Chelsea's 2004-05 season. Now they did lose. They lost one game, but they won more than Arsenal the previous season and picked up more points. Yet this season isn't talked back about compared to the "invincibles" season.

Which do you rate higher?

Also which season do you think is the Rags best Prem season/team?
Best season ever was the centurion year. Then the following year when we won 98 pts and pool was at 97. Two of the greatest seasons ever in the game

Just reading through this thread. Obviously I'm biased as an Arsenal fan. What I'll say is in my book the 2 best achievements are the invincibles season and the centurions season. Both great in their own way.

Some disparaging comments re that Gunners side- check out the players it had in it. Some of the all time great PL players plus the absolute PL GOAT in Thierry Henry.

That invincibles side would piss all over the current Arsenal side, and as the current Arsenal side finished 2 points behind City you'd need to infer that it would therefore piss all over the current City side.

Not sure re the Centurions side as IMHO that was a better team than even the City treble winning team. Again I appreciate tactics are different but there isn't any PL team ever that Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Patrick Vieira wouldn't walk into. Not a single one, doesn't matter how biased one is towards their own team.

Just reading through this thread. Obviously I'm biased as an Arsenal fan. What I'll say is in my book the 2 best achievements are the invincibles season and the centurions season. Both great in their own way.

Some disparaging comments re that Gunners side- check out the players it had in it. Some of the all time great PL players plus the absolute PL GOAT in Thierry Henry.

That invincibles side would piss all over the current Arsenal side, and as the current Arsenal side finished 2 points behind City you'd need to infer that it would therefore piss all over the current City side.

Not sure re the Centurions side as IMHO that was a better team than even the City treble winning team. Again I appreciate tactics are different but there isn't any PL team ever that Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Patrick Vieira wouldn't walk into. Not a single one, doesn't matter how biased one is towards their own team.
We did, eventually, get the pick of those Invincibles!!! But yer right, they'd walk into any PL team. I'm just pleased that it wasn't the Rags or Dippers they walked into!

I’ve been trying to think, what’s the longest City have ever gone unbeaten at the start of the season?

You’d have thought they’d have had at least one deep run, considering how dominant they’ve been over the last few years.

But I can’t recall it ever even getting to the stage where an unbeaten season was beginning to get talked about?

Suppose it’s not that surprising when you consider how Guardiola always gets the team to peak in March/ April/ May.
17/18 season the dippers beat us 4-3 in January. We only lost one more game that season vs rags in April. That game still makes my piss boil even to this day.

In the 11/12 season we got to December undefeated before losing to Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge

Arsenal lost 6 games that season and won only one trophy. It's a worse achievement than Leverkusen's who lost only one game and won a domestic double. And no-one in his right mind would compare Leverkusen to the greatest teams.

The greatest teams do not perform well only in one competition, but in multiple competitions. City haven't lost a game in the CL in two years, while playing the very best teams in Europe. Comparing this City team (Treble, 4 in a row, no loss in the CL over 2 seasons) to a great-in-one-competition team is delusional.

If Arsenal had so many great players capable of walking into any team, then why did they fail in other competitions and why did they win only 90 points? 90 pts get you 3rd in 18/19 and 21/22.

Arsenal lost 6 games that season and won only one trophy. It's a worse achievement than Leverkusen's who lost only one game and won a domestic double. And no-one in his right mind would compare Leverkusen to the greatest teams.

The greatest teams do not perform well only in one competition, but in multiple competitions. City haven't lost a game in the CL in two years, while playing the very best teams in Europe. Comparing this City team (Treble, 4 in a row, no loss in the CL over 2 seasons) to a great-in-one-competition team is delusional.

If Arsenal had so many great players capable of walking into any team, then why did they fail in other competitions and why did they win only 90 points? 90 pts get you 3rd in 18/19 and 21/22.
Arsenal lost zero games that season, not 6. Hence the name 'Invincibles'. We can carve out metrics all we want to fit the narrative we want but remaining unbeaten in the league has been done only once hence it remains as a unique achievement. Whether it's 'better' than 100 points or whatever is open to debate and we are hardly going to get an unbiased discourse between Arsenal and City fans on it!

And I maintain that the invincibles side had some all time great players in it. As an example what City/Rags/Chelsea team does Thierry Henry not get into? None.

Re winning European trophies - there's a lot more of a lottery about that compared to the League. For all their dominance City have only one CL - they've gone out (usually to Madrid) on a couple of occasions despite being the dominant team and that just shows how anything can happen in knockout football whereas over the course of an entire league season the cream will rise to the top. As an example Arsenal got to the CL final and had their keeper sent off within 18 minutes. Cups have a lot more volatility about them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.