Arsenal thread 2011/12

Re: Wenger : the fiasco ?

Wenger had it all set up for an era of dominance when Arsenal went to the Emirates, but he has taken his eye off the ball.

You didn't need to be a footballing expert to realise that Arsenal needed to replace the spine of their team, but until the last day of the last transfer window, Wenger refused to act, and even then his buys were questionable.

Wenger came to an insular English game which had fallen behind the continent and used hios knowledge of sports science and French players to add something to a very solid Arsenal defence. But now clubs are run a lot more professionally and everyone has caught up, and you are left wondering whether Wenger has the ability to coach a defence

When Mancini came to City, we were leaking goals right left and centre, but within weeks, Mancini's work on the training pitch with positioning and shape led to an improvement. Wenger seems completely unable to organise his back 4.

I used to like Arsenal when we were in the lower divisions especially as they were Utd's rivals. But as City have improved, my respect for them disappeared, and I began to really dislike them as the media constantly fawned over them and their players. I suppose the media's infatuation with them isn't their fault. Now they will be gunning for him such is the way they work

Mancio said:
Danamy said:
squirtyflower said:
would you have had him here?

Like i said earlier he would deliver with the squad we have so with this in mind, Yes.

Having said that Mancini should also deliver with our current squad.

like he delivered in the carling cup against birmingham ?

Forgive me but i can't remember Aguero, Silva, Tevez or Dzeko playing in that game for Wenger?

Danamy said:
Mancio said:
Danamy said:
Like i said earlier he would deliver with the squad we have so with this in mind, Yes.

Forgive me but i can't remember Aguero, Silva, Tevez or Dzeko playing in that game for Wenger?
How do you explain Arsenal's decline, and Wenger's inability to address their problems?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Juan King said:
I think he will be on his bike before Christmas.
At this rate he will. He has totally failed to buy the right players for key positions and has a much weaker team & squad than he should have. Too many players simply not good enough. If Van Persie goes they are totally stuffed.

This is what happens PB when you have a wage cap and the best players become available.

He desperately wanted to keep Fabregas and Nasri but couldn't compete even with improving their contracts, it's also widely known that he wanted Mata but couldn't compete with Chelsea.

Arsenal as a club have to seriously look at themselves, they either want to keep up with the Joneses or slip down to mid-table level.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:11 pm --<br /><br />
Marvin said:
Danamy said:
Mancio said:

How do you explain Arsenal's decline, and Wenger's inability to address their problems?

I hope i've answered that above ^^^^^

Danamy said:
Mancio said:
Danamy said:

so what wenger had wasn't good enough to beat the mighty birmingham ?

Wenger fucked up by getting rid of players he believed to be over the hill - Vieira, Henry, Petit, Overmars - all went on to win things abroad. He should have kept hold of them a la Baconface and helped to bring up the youngsters. He should have told the board to increase their wages if he was worried that they would leave for financial reasons.

Mancio said:
Danamy said:
Mancio said:

so what wenger had wasn't good enough to beat the mighty birmingham ?

We lost to West Brom in the same cup, so what are you trying to say?

Does anyone here truly believe that Wenger didnt WANT to strengthen his team before the transfer deadline? This is one of the best minds in football, period. He has forgotten more than we all know about football. He knows the weaknesses of his team. The fact is, he doesnt ahve the financial backing to be a top team anymore. He's a lot like Moyes to me... they have done extremely well with the little that they have been given... and their teams are both finally cracking after years of no investment.

Danamy said:
He desperately wanted to keep Fabregas and Nasri but couldn't compete even with improving their contracts, it's also widely known that he wanted Mata but couldn't compete with Chelsea.

No, it is widely known Mata wanted to join Arsenal, all that was needed was for Arsenal to shell out £20m to meet his release clause. Wenger obviously gawked at this, and was trying to negotiate a lower price. There was an expiration date on that clause and because of Wenger's reluctance to spend big when it REALLY matters meant they missed out on him.
As a coach, he is among the best. His players are well drilled, professional and disciplined. But it's the other things he severely lacks in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.