Arsenal thread 2011/12

Re: Wenger : the fiasco ?

MCC said:
Wenger fucked up by getting rid of players he believed to be over the hill - Vieira, Henry, Petit, Overmars - all went on to win things abroad. He should have kept hold of them a la Baconface and helped to bring up the youngsters. He should have told the board to increase their wages if he was worried that they would leave for financial reasons.

That was a transitional period that the club went through including moving to the new stadium.

Wenger has nigh on built that stadium himself with the profit he's made that club.

*exaggerated i know but you get my drift?

-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:32 pm --

Bulldoglikeapproach said:
Does anyone here truly believe that Wenger didnt WANT to strengthen his team before the transfer deadline? This is one of the best minds in football, period. He has forgotten more than we all know about football. He knows the weaknesses of his team. The fact is, he doesnt ahve the financial backing to be a top team anymore. He's a lot like Moyes to me... they have done extremely well with the little that they have been given... and their teams are both finally cracking after years of no investment.

At last someone who can see the bigger picture.........thank you!

It also didn't help his cause in getting new players in with the Fabregas and Nasri deals taking so long to go through, another thing that was out of Wenger hands which hindered him with negotiating his own deals.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:41 pm --<br /><br />
Dzeko's Right Boot said:
Danamy said:
He desperately wanted to keep Fabregas and Nasri but couldn't compete even with improving their contracts, it's also widely known that he wanted Mata but couldn't compete with Chelsea.

No, it is widely known Mata wanted to join Arsenal, all that was needed was for Arsenal to shell out £20m to meet his release clause. Wenger obviously gawked at this, and was trying to negotiate a lower price. There was an expiration date on that clause and because of Wenger's reluctance to spend big when it REALLY matters meant they missed out on him.
As a coach, he is among the best. His players are well drilled, professional and disciplined. But it's the other things he severely lacks in.

Untrue

As i've stated above the deals with Fabregas and Nasri dragging hindered Wenger with his own deals. If sorted earlier Wenger would of nailed Mata along with Benzema, if you don't believe me i disclosed this information to someone in PM in the summer prior to things dragging.

Chelsea came in over the top of Arsenal knowing they could better any contract Arsenal laid down for the player, job done.

Wenger : the fiasco ?

I can't imagine many sane Arsenal fans would really want to get rid of Wenger. However, to replace him they would have to find a manager who is good on a shoe-string budget.

Not many of those are available/unemployed, so that means they would have to approach a manager already at a club, but that would not be "the way Arsenal do business". Ha ha ha.

Why are people claiming that Wenger's hands are tied? Whilst true to an extent, it doesn't excuse his failings. He has needed to strengthen his defence for a number of seasons and instead bought more expensive kids for his academy. Spending that same money, wages included, on decent defenders would have stopped the rot and may even have stopped the likes of Nasri and Clichy leaving. Lack of investment weakens their chances, but Wenger's mismanagement is the final nail in the coffin.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:07 pm --<br /><br />
Danamy said:
Untrue

As i've stated above the deals with Fabregas and Nasri dragging hindered Wenger with his own deals. If sorted earlier Wenger would of nailed Mata along with Benzema, if you don't believe me i disclosed this information to someone in PM in the summer prior to things dragging.

Chelsea came in over the top of Arsenal knowing they could better any contract Arsenal laid down for the player, job done.
And therein lies the problem. Why would they ever even consider buying players who play in that position when they are so fragile defensively? This is the core of Arsene's failings as a manager.

Go on then danamy, i'm intrigued which job offers Wenger got :)<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 pm --<br /><br />Go on then danamy, i'm intrigued which job offers Wenger got :)

How quickly people forget. Wenger built the best team the Premier League has ever seen, and he did it on a limited budget. He's bought low and sold high and made that club millions of pounds in the process. The move to the Emirates was necessary for the future well being of that football club, and Wenger has accepted the financial constraints within which he's had to work with good grace, and has never taken the easy option of putting pressure on the board to spend money it hasn't got (ala Redknapp), because he cares passionately about the long term stability of the club. Sadly it seems that his tenure at Arsenal is coming to an end, and I'm certain when he goes he will do it with great dignity. Those queuing up to kick the man while he's down, especially those from within his own club, should be ashamed of themselves.

AntonDonJuan said:
Go on then danamy, i'm intrigued which job offers Wenger got :)

-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 pm --

Go on then danamy, i'm intrigued which job offers Wenger got :)

City. You know. We all know. He would have been a big hypocrite though for banging on about FFPR and bringing youngsters through and then turn up at City and spunk loads of cash on players. It`s against his principles - even though his salary is worth millions.

Irwell said:
Why are people claiming that Wenger's hands are tied? Whilst true to an extent, it doesn't excuse his failings. He has needed to strengthen his defence for a number of seasons and instead bought more expensive kids for his academy. Spending that same money, wages included, on decent defenders would have stopped the rot and may even have stopped the likes of Nasri and Clichy leaving. Lack of investment weakens their chances, but Wenger's mismanagement is the final nail in the coffin.

-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:07 pm --

Danamy said:
Untrue

And therein lies the problem. Why would they ever even consider buying players who play in that position when they are so fragile defensively? This is the core of Arsene's failings as a manager.

perfect.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 pm --<br /><br />
Danamy said:
Mancio said:
Danamy said:
Forgive me but i can't remember Aguero, Silva, Tevez or Dzeko playing in that game for Wenger?

so what wenger had wasn't good enough to beat the mighty birmingham ?

We lost to West Brom in the same cup, so what are you trying to say?

i didnt knew that that one vs west brom was the carling cup final

I'm not convinced Wenger has his hands tied in the transfer market as some are making out. Wasn't he asked last season what would you do if the board gave you £100m to spend on new players and his response was "give it back"?

where are they now???

Where are them arsenal fans who used come on here saying how shit we were ect..

gooney & one named after their keeper???

COME ON LETS BE HAVING YOU!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.