Arsenal Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a goon tell me that the league is already over and they've won it. Boy I want to destroy them at the etihad. 4-0.

Reading some of the posts on here, there seems to be a general misconception that Arsenal fans are arrogant and believe they will walk the league.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The overwhelming majority are enjoying the current good run (and why not?.....it's not as if we've been blessed with year on year success in recent years) but recognise the squad is likely to weak to stay top over a full season.

City are overwhelming favourites and deservedly so. No other team, in my view, has anything like the embarrassment of riches that you guys can boast. I mean, just on strikers alone, you have Aguerro (fantastic player, up there with Suarez as the league's best strikers), Negredo , Dzeko and Jovetic too.

When Pellegini finally settles in, I can't see any team maybe with the exception of Chelsea living with you. I just hope we are there or thereabouts in 5 months time to give you and Chelsea a run for your money.

As for our match against you guys Saturday week, we have a tough tie midweek away to Napoli where we need to field a full strength team whereas as you have already qualified and given your embarrassment of riches (see above) you can rest key players whilst we having arrived back from Italy Thursday morning have to try and get something against you 48 hours later. I've already in my mind accepted the nigh on near certainty we will leave the Etihad empty handed.

Frankly, if you want to point the finger of arrogance, you might better look a few miles westward to Salford to see real evidence of that.

As a season ticket holder at the Arse, I am also a member of the away ticket scheme and my ticket for the Etihad has already arrived. Looking forward to it as you have one of the better stadia in the league, sight lines normally good and most City fans, in my experience are ok.

One last question. Tarquins? What's all that about?

Piegilles said:
Reading some of the posts on here, there seems to be a general misconception that Arsenal fans are arrogant and believe they will walk the league.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The overwhelming majority are enjoying the current good run (and why not?.....it's not as if we've been blessed with year on year success in recent years) but recognise the squad is likely to weak to stay top over a full season.

City are overwhelming favourites and deservedly so. No other team, in my view, has anything like the embarrassment of riches that you guys can boast. I mean, just on strikers alone, you have Aguerro (fantastic player, up there with Suarez as the league's best strikers), Negredo , Dzeko and Jovetic too.

When Pellegini finally settles in, I can't see any team maybe with the exception of Chelsea living with you. I just hope we are there or thereabouts in 5 months time to give you and Chelsea a run for your money.

As for our match against you guys Saturday week, we have a tough tie midweek away to Napoli where we need to field a full strength team whereas as you have already qualified and given your embarrassment of riches (see above) you can rest key players whilst we having arrived back from Italy Thursday morning have to try and get something against you 48 hours later. I've already in my mind accepted the nigh on near certainty we will leave the Etihad empty handed.

Frankly, if you want to point the finger of arrogance, you might better look a few miles westward to Salford to see real evidence of that.

As a season ticket holder at the Arse, I am also a member of the away ticket scheme and my ticket for the Etihad has already arrived. Looking forward to it as you have one of the better stadia in the league, sight lines normally good and most City fans, in my experience are ok.

F**k me, we've found a sane one.

You're welcome aboard, my friend. Just bear in mind that some of your predecessing Arsenal fans around here have been, shall we say, less than shy about telling us all about how we're not doing things the right way and how they hope their beloved Arsenal will never sell it's soul and blah blah f**king boo hoo.
Tarquin is a nickname that suggests Arsenal have priced the common man out of the game and all your supporters are now of the nice (or not so nice) but dim classes.
Anyway, enjoy the ride and wear a tin hat.

Piegilles said:

Thanks for a balanced Arsenal point of view and welcome to the board.

Thanks for the welcome.

I can't speak about my fellow travellers on here but those who think we will walk the league are not representative in my view. However, it is panning out to be a hell of a close thing this season which is good.

As for Arsenal pricing the common man out of watching live matches, I think it's a bit much laying all that at our door. I think the common man has to a large extent been priced out of many premiership clubs when it seems to me that £45 or so a seat seems to be the average based upon my experience of attending away games this season. To be honest, the common man began to be priced out of top flight matches when stadia became all-seater.

Admittedly, Arsenal have its said the highest prices in the league but I'm fairly certain Chelsea's prices are as high if not higher. However, if as at Arsenal, you have a long season ticket waiting list and no shortage of people willing to pay £60 a ticket for those which are available, you can hardly blame the club from allowing the basic economic laws of demand and supply to operate. Having had to re-finance a stadium, Arsenal have had to operate within tight constraints meaning certainly until this season a lack of funds to buy top players let alone match their wage demands. So, needing to compete, the club has to maximise its funds by charging the highest that fans are willing to pay.

As for those harbouring sour grapes about City's good fortune in attracting rich backers, I can't be arsed moaning about that. That's the way things are and anyway no harm in having a relatively new face at the top table,so to speak. And if it knocks Man U off its perch, well so much the better. The Premiership will be a better competition if we can move away from having long periods of one club dominance. Best to share it around, which will make for greater interest.

Tarquins? Better than rent boys as a moniker, I suppose!

You'll be talking about posh southerners next!

Anyway, I'm off to the Emirates now to see if we can overcome Hull City (Tigers?). I went to our away game at the Hawthorns which was one of our toughest ending in a 1-1 draw. You should beat them, but they are no push over. Then again, few teams are these days.

manimanc said:
Who do you support piegillies and what brings you on the city boards?

I support The Arse. I've been lurking here for some time and the general discussions seem sound. I used to spend time on Red Cafe but got bored and fancied a change. Also, a close mate of mine is a big City fan and I don't begrudge him his joy at the recent success given the many years he supported City when they were not the power they are now. So, I have no axe to grind on that score.

Arsenal's next four games

Home vs an in form Everton
Away vs Napoli
Away vs Us
Home vs Chelsea

I think after those we will surely see if they have the credentials to win the league, especially with having the tricky away CL tie in the middle

The Pink Panther said:

Away vs Napoli
Away vs Us
Home vs Chelsea

I think after those we will surely see if they have the credentials to win the league, especially with having the tricky away CL tie in the middle

Absolutely right. It is a tough 6 days even before we get to playing Chelsea.

As I said previously, we will be lucky to get anything at the Etihad after arriving back from a tough tie at Napoli in the early hours of Thursday morning and then playing you just over 48 hours later. I've already written that off, although I will be at the match in the away section.

Hoping we can beat a very good Everton side Sunday and maybe get a good result at home to Chelsea after a 9 day break. We could do with some players coming back from injury like Podolski. At best I hope for 6 out of 9 points though think 4 out of 9 is more likely meaning Chelsea may well displace us at the top by Christmas.

I still think you guys are favourites for the title.

On a separate matter, I am old enough to have seen the great City team of 40 odd years ago. I spent 3 years at Manchester Uni and used to get the bus from Rusholme to watch Man U at OT one week and the following walk across Platt Fields to Maine Road to watch City. I saw Man U get relegated which was fun. But I do remember seeing the likes of Bell, Summerbee and Lee. Looking at Aaron Ramsey this season, he really does remind me of Colin Bell. Anyone agree?

The Pink Panther said:

Away vs Napoli
Away vs Us
Home vs Chelsea

I think we do well to take between 4-6 points from those fixtures. As mentioned Everton is in form, but that looks like our likeliest chance of a win, keep in mind we have punctured in form teams before - Liverpool and Southampton for example - when they came to the Emirates. Napoli away is a difficult proposition, I'm curious to see how well we can soak up pressure there, would do well to take a point. Similiarly at the Etihad I think the key will be how well we can soak up pressure, although you guys are rampant at home so I don't think we'll get anything from that one, especially now that you have Kompany back. Chelsea at home is a match we have to take something from, if not a win then at least a draw. To keep momentum going though we would have to win that. Things are heating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.