Arsenal Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll be 10 points off whoever wins the title (City or Chavski).

Even the addition of a second striker in January won't change that. The squad is tiny and contains far more injury prone players than any other. We are already down to bare bones.

Tippy tappy is easy on the eye when they fizz it about, like they did v the Scousers yesterday, but City, Chelski and to a lesser extent United simply have too much muscle for us.

The six matches against those are still to come. I expect we'll play one of the three off the park home or away, scrape a draw in one of the home games and get beaten in the other 4. That will be the difference.

3d or 4th, but too good for Spurs or Scousers.

matty barton said:

Even the addition of a second striker in January won't change that. The squad is tiny and contains far more injury prone players than any other. We are already down to bare bones.

Tippy tappy is easy on the eye when they fizz it about, like they did v the Scousers yesterday, but City, Chelski and to a lesser extent United simply have too much muscle for us.

The six matches against those are still to come. I expect we'll play one of the three off the park home or away, scrape a draw in one of the home games and get beaten in the other 4. That will be the difference.

Utd's 'muscle'??!

Stoned Rose said:
matty barton said:

Utd's 'muscle'??!

I said "to a lesser degree" than City or Chavski, but they still have types like Vidic, Evra and Rio. We don't . By the same token I wouldn't be surprised if we finish ahead of them.

matty barton said:

Arsenal will definitely finish above Unite for me.

NoahCity said:
matty barton said:

It's annoying that they look good just as we face them. Well, they were apparently good yday but tailed off in the second half.

With a couple of the Gooners going on about how they're on an amazing run and they're going to win the league, I just wanted to provide a bit of context.

This is their Prem record from the last 3 seasons (not inc. this season) (give or take 1 or 2 results that got a bit mangled):

Total

Pld: 114 W: 61 D: 27 L: 26 GS: 219 GC: 129 GD: +90 Pts: 210.
Home: Pld: 57 W: 34 D: 13 L: 10 GS: 119 GC: 54 GD: +65 Pts: 112.
Away: Pld: 57 W: 27 D: 14 L: 16 GS: 100 GC: 75 GD: +25 Pts: 95.

So not a lot of difference between home and away in terms of performance, but a pretty big difference in their defensive record, they don't score that many goals at home it seems.

Breaking it down here's their record against teams that finished in the top 5 with them in those seasons:

v Top 5 Total

Pld: 24 W: 7 D: 15 L: 12 GS: 35 GC: 39 GD: -4 Pts: 26.
Home: Pld: 12 W: 6 D: 2 L: 4 GS: 22 GC: 16 GD: +6 Pts: 20.
Away: Pld: 12 W: 1 D: 3 L: 8 GS: 13 GC: 23 GD: -10 Pts: 6.

So we can see that their major weakness is away at the other big teams, we'll come back to that later. Here's the record against teams who finished 6th-10th in the respective seasons.

v Top 10 Total

Pld: 30 W: 16 D: 10 L: 4 GS: 52 GC: 31 GD: +21 Pts: 58.
Home: P: 15 W: 6 D: 6 L: 3 GS: 20 GC: 13 GD: +7 Pts: 24.
Away: P: 15 W: 10 D: 4 L: 1 GS: 32 GC: 18 GD: +14 Pts: 34.

So a strength of theirs has been winning away against teams that don't challenge them for CL but finish in the Top 10, however they underachieve against them in the home fixtures. Here's their results for the bottom half of the table.

v Bottom Half Total

Pld: 60 W: 38 D: 12 L: 10 GS: 132 GC: 59 GD: +73 Pts: 126.
Home: P: 30 W: 22 D: 5 L: 3 GS: 77 GC: 26 GD: +51 Pts: 71.
Away: P: 30 W: 16 D: 7 L: 7 GS: 55 GC: 33 GD: +22 Pts: 55.

So they do well at home against bottom half teams but have a mixed bag away. Now onto the start of this season.

Their record is P10 W8 D1 L1 GS: 22 GC: 9 GD: +13 Pts: 25. Their home record is W4 L1 and their away is W4 D1. Of those 2 of their home games 2 have come against teams currently in the Top 5 (Spurs & Liverpool) and they won both, but they did ok against top teams in the last 3 seasons at home. They haven't played anyone 6th-10th, so their other 8 games have come against bottom half teams. So what we can see is that they are on a better than usual run against bottom of the table teams away from home, but let's extend this back to the start of this amazing run they are on, which started at home to West Ham in January.

Arsenal's Amazing Run

Total
Pld: 26 W: 20 D: 4 L: 2 GS: 52 GC: 19 GD: +33 Pts: 64.
Home: P: 14 W: 10 D: 3 L: 1 GS: 32 GC: 12 GD: +20 Pts: 33.
Away: P: 12 W: 10 D: 1 L: 1 GS: 20 GC: 7 GD: +13 Pts: 31.

v Top 5
Total: P: 4 W: 2 D: 1 L: 1 GS: 5 GC: 3 GD: +2 Pts: 7.
Home: P: 3 W: 2 D: 1 L: 0 GS: 4 GC: 1 GD: +3 Pts: 7.
Away: P: 1 W: 0 D: 0 L: 1 GS: 1 GC: 2 GD: -1 Pts: 0.

v Top 10
Total: P: 5 W: 3 D: 2 L: 0 GS: 10 GC: 3 GD: +7 Pts: 11.
Home: P: 3 W: 1 D: 2 L: 0 GS: 6 GC: 2 GD: +4 Pts: 5.
Away P: 2 W: 2 D: 0 L: 0 GS: 4 GC: 1 GD: +3 Pts: 6.

v Bottom Half
Total: P: 17 W: 15 D: 1 L: 1 GS: 37 GC: 13 GD: +24 Pts: 46.
Home: P: 8 W: 7 D: 0 L: 1 GS: 22 GC: 9 GD: +13 Pts: 21.
Away: P: 9 W: 8 D: 1 L: 0 GS: 15 GC: 4 GD: +11 Pts: 25.

Telling really. They haven't faced a top 5 team away or a top 10 team at all this season. In their run they have barely faced either and in their only away game against a top 5 side they lost and in the top 10 games again they've won just 1 out of 3 and have struggled overall at home to top 10 sides. What they've basically managed to do is maintain their home record (or slightly improve on it) against bottom half teams and improve a lot in beating them away, however they've only scored 15 goals in 9 away games with a number of 1-0's so sooner or later if they don't start scoring more it'll catch them out.

So in summary, on Arsenal's current run they've been in good form against the numerous bottom of the table teams they've faced, they've faced very few top teams and have hardly been tested in their weakest areas of results getting. It's a false record at the moment, if they start adding the big results to it then fair enough, but at the moment too many Gunners are shouting a bit too loudly and proudly about a run that really has been kind to them.

Is it just me or are Arsenal fans becoming really annoying? Before you wouldnt hear a peep from them bow their acting like they won the treble

BayernMan said:
Is it just me or are Arsenal fans becoming really annoying? Before you wouldnt hear a peep from them bow their acting like they won the treble

You are so right. It must be a North London thing because the Spurs fans are almost as bad.

Arsenalfan23 said:
NoahCity said:
matty barton said:

It's annoying that they look good just as we face them. Well, they were apparently good yday but tailed off in the second half.

Huge understatement, they were fucking dreadful in the 2nd half and Fulham definitely should have scored more than 1 goal. Moyes made 3 changes to a team that was leading 3-0 and it changed the game not in their favor. They were very good for the first 20 minutes though. They've got a quality attack imo but it should be pretty easy to starve their attacking players of service by dominating their midfield. Their defense now looks pretty poor as well imo.

dave_blue12 said:
BayernMan said:

You are so right. It must be a North London thing because the Spurs fans are almost as bad.

No mate, the gooners are much, much worse. You wouldn't believe the constant stream of whining, self pitying, deluded bile that they come out with.

It's like having tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.