Arsenal Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenalfan23 said:
THFC6061 said:
Arsenal are looking worryingly good at the moment.

But I think they will suffer badly from poor squad depth once the injuries and suspensions start piling-up.

I don't think injuries can get any worse than they've been so far, we've had the most in the premier league. Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker have all missed games this season due to injuries and Koscielny because of a suspension. Arteta, Cazorla and Walcott have all missed 6 weeks of the season through injury (probably our most important players last season). Podolski and Chamberlain will have missed 3 months of the season when they get back. We've had a hell of a lot of players missing and they're all slowly coming back for us, so the idea that our squad hasn't been tested is not true because it most definitely has.
Honestly speaking, I think Walcott is one of the most overrated footballers outside of the Rags. If he wasn't English I think he'd be considered wasteful. I'm not sure his injury hasn't done you a favour.

I'm not frightened by Arsenal yet. If they are still where they are and playing as well into the new year I will be then. However, Arsenal seem to go through periods of great form and great football but ultimately squad depth hurts them over a long season. I don't think adding Ozil is enough to solve that problem - as good as he is.

malg said:
Arsenalfan23 said:
THFC6061 said:
Arsenal are looking worryingly good at the moment.

But I think they will suffer badly from poor squad depth once the injuries and suspensions start piling-up.

I don't think injuries can get any worse than they've been so far, we've had the most in the premier league. Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker have all missed games this season due to injuries and Koscielny because of a suspension. Arteta, Cazorla and Walcott have all missed 6 weeks of the season through injury (probably our most important players last season). Podolski and Chamberlain will have missed 3 months of the season when they get back. We've had a hell of a lot of players missing and they're all slowly coming back for us, so the idea that our squad hasn't been tested is not true because it most definitely has.
Honestly speaking, I think Walcott is one of the most overrated footballers outside of the Rags. If he wasn't English I think he'd be considered wasteful. I'm not sure his injury hasn't done you a favour.

We have missed him in a few games because he definitely stretches defenders and we've lacked width without him. You don't have to rate him but he's been important to the way we play and has consistently produced good numbers for us. For a winger to score 21 goals and assist 14 in one season is pretty good.

Matty said:
Ultimately it's Arsenal's lack of strikers that will cost them, the quality behind Giroud (who isn't exactly exceptional anyway) is really lacking.
I think he's the perfect type of striker for Arsenal, so in a way he is exceptional, a bit like Mandzukic last season for Bayern. If you have quality attacking midfielders who are good for goals, a striker they can play off, who's brilliant at holding the ball and laying it off to them, is maybe more worth than a worldclass striker who wants to score on his own or needs others to feed him the ball. Giroud allows all that movement from midfield towards goal to happen, he's working hard to drag defenders out of position and open up space. Few of the worldclass strikers who score huge amounts of goals do that. When Podolski is back from his injury he also adds some squad depth to that role and can fill in for Giroud. Yes, a long term injury would be a problem, but as long as he's just missing a few games over the season, they should be fine.

malg said:

I was reading somewhere, If you took away Walcott's 14 goals last season, Arsenal's points tally would reduce by only 5 points.
I know it is not the best way to judge but as an indicator, it is a pretty damning statistic.

Wreckless Alec said:
Hopefully, the fact that Arsenal have bought their current standing by virtue of paying more for a player than City have ever paid, won't silence their overbearing posturing about "doing things the right way". Their endless hypocritical and self-righteous pontificating has been a source of unmitigated pleasure since 2008 ! I also hope, for the sake of Brian Glanville's faux principles, they win nothing again this year.

Are you for real? Bloody Arsenal spending their own money they've generated.

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
Arsenal have started very well, but I doubt they'll keep this up all season, i'd expect them to slowly decline around january

Hi i am a arsenal fan posting on here. I think your wrong to say we decline around January. Our form since march has been championship winning stuff. You, us and Chelsea are the best three teams in the league this year and it be a great battle. This is our best squad since 2005 . We have been winning without pod, theo, ox and few others. When they come back we be even stronger.

I think you and us play the best football in the league. Your defense looks a bit weak without kompany though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.