Arsenal Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to a couple while waiting to get on the bus into town after the game. Youngish lads they were full of praise for us and said we were the best side they've ever seen and we totally outclassed them. I was stunned and thanked them. It was a refreshing change. A lot of the shite is spouted online by foreign fans who've never been to a game in their lives. Some of their older fans brought up on success like the rags and dippers never thought it would end so they are incredibly bitter. This could happen with our younger fanbase now if we hit a rocky patch but I hope not.
Fair play to them then, I haven't met one to talk to properly for a while now to be fair.
I have been in London quite a bit this year and have been in pubs when they've been playing. They're an odd crowd, mostly early to mid 20s and pretty posh but putting on an accent, not quite the 'fam blud' thing but getting close to it. I may be biased against them as they had no bar etiquette whatsoever, very much a 'main character' arrogance to them. This is in and around Chalk Farm though so that may just be that area.
I saw them play in the Europa League in a pub near Euston Station too which was odd, slightly older crowd but loads of replica shirts everywhere but they hardly watched the game at all, just chatting to their mates all the way through then it emptied before the game finished. Again, no manners at the bar whatsoever. Odd bunch overall.

It was Pep, I believe, who said that he had the greatest respect for what Arsenal had done on the pitch but no respect at all for what they had done off it (ie the letter calling for there to be no delay in enforcing any ban on City's playing in the CL whatever a delayed CAS decision was). As usual Pep got it spot on for me. I do not hold grudges for happenings on the pitch years ago nor do I need to be reminded of them to want City to beat Arsenal! Nevertheless, I have drawn three conclusions from what I have seen this season. The first is that Arsenal are better this season than they have been for years, both in the football they have played and in their results. At times they have been quite superb. The second is that they have not been able to match City. City at their best are still quite simply the best team in England by some way. We have been near our best recently and Arsenal seem to be feeling the pressure. This could be because they are a young and relatively inexperienced team. The third conclusion is that it is impossible to say how next season may unfold for Arsenal. They may be even better (they have not lost out on the league yet) or they may regress as a result of the wearing effects, both physical and psychological, of a long season on young players. A lot may depend on the transfer window

Fair play to them then, I haven't met one to talk to properly for a while now to be fair.
I have been in London quite a bit this year and have been in pubs when they've been playing. They're an odd crowd, mostly early to mid 20s and pretty posh but putting on an accent, not quite the 'fam blud' thing but getting close to it. I may be biased against them as they had no bar etiquette whatsoever, very much a 'main character' arrogance to them. This is in and around Chalk Farm though so that may just be that area.
I saw them play in the Europa League in a pub near Euston Station too which was odd, slightly older crowd but loads of replica shirts everywhere but they hardly watched the game at all, just chatting to their mates all the way through then it emptied before the game finished. Again, no manners at the bar whatsoever. Odd bunch overall.

I think when you get fans in a crowd you'll get that mentality. These lads were just the two of them and I was genuinely stunned at the praise as I'm so used to listening to shit coming out of other fans mouths. Rags and dippers there is no point having a discussed 99% of the time.

I think when you get fans in a crowd you'll get that mentality. These lads were just the two of them and I was genuinely stunned at the praise as I'm so used to listening to shit coming out of other fans mouths. Rags and dippers there is no point having a discussed 99% of the time.
100% agree, wouldn't even bother going in to a pub if it was full of dippers, they're off their heads with their poetry and bitterness.
Don't mind it with the rags though when I'm visiting London, I always like to ask them what part of Manchester they're from just to see what convoluted story they'll come up with to justify their 'support'.

Arteta’s problem is that he has neither the QUALITY of players needed nor the QUANTITY.

They are fragile, the midfield is technically lightweight, their “stars” are young and unable to carry the team, and there doesn’t look to be any natural leader on the field.

The sight of them going 2 down to Soton and Zinchenko trying organize a huddle smacked of rolled eyes and “What the fuck does he think he’s doing now?” amongst his teammates.

Arteta, too, seems to create tension and pressure, even though he tries hard to project confidence. Too often, his face betrays his words.

There’s no doubting there is the kernel of a real team upon which something could be built, but it is going to need a stronger foundation and some significant strengthening to achieve.

At the moment, they might be thought of as “City Lite,” but that belies the ingrained structure and strength in this team that Arsenal clearly lack.

It was Pep, I believe, who said that he had the greatest respect for what Arsenal had done on the pitch but no respect at all for what they had done off it (ie the letter calling for there to be no delay in enforcing any ban on City's playing in the CL whatever a delayed CAS decision was). As usual Pep got it spot on for me. I do not hold grudges for happenings on the pitch years ago nor do I need to be reminded of them to want City to beat Arsenal! Nevertheless, I have drawn three conclusions from what I have seen this season. The first is that Arsenal are better this season than they have been for years, both in the football they have played and in their results. At times they have been quite superb. The second is that they have not been able to match City. City at their best are still quite simply the best team in England by some way. We have been near our best recently and Arsenal seem to be feeling the pressure. This could be because they are a young and relatively inexperienced team. The third conclusion is that it is impossible to say how next season may unfold for Arsenal. They may be even better (they have not lost out on the league yet) or they may regress as a result of the wearing effects, both physical and psychological, of a long season on young players. A lot may depend on the transfer window

They went a bit under the radar this season, gained some momentum and ran with it. We stuttered and stumbled for a while and I genuinely thought we were out of it. On our day we are unplayable and have hammered the rags, Liverpool and now Arsenal at home. Luck and officials can of course even things up, I thought Oliver tried his best on Wednesday. Over the years we've seen off the Liverpool and rags challenge and hopefully now Arsenal. Both Liverpool and Arsenal have played exceptional seasons but we've pipped Liverpool the last two seasons and with some luck Arsenal this one. I've no idea how if we win it Arsenal respond, it could be a shattering blow or redouble their determination.

Arteta’s problem is that he has neither the QUALITY of players needed nor the QUANTITY.

They are fragile, the midfield is technically lightweight, their “stars” are young and unable to carry the team, and there doesn’t look to be any natural leader on the field.

The sight of them going 2 down to Soton and Zinchenko trying organize a huddle smacked of rolled eyes and “What the fuck does he think he’s doing now?” amongst his teammates.

Arteta, too, seems to create tension and pressure, even though he tries hard to project confidence. Too often, his face betrays his words.

There’s no doubting there is the kernel of a real team upon which something could be built, but it is going to need a stronger foundation and some significant strengthening to achieve.

At the moment, they might be thought of as “City Lite,” but that belies the ingrained structure and strength in this team that Arsenal clearly lack.

I wonder how long it will take them to realise we sold him a couple of pups.

I do have to admit I liked Gabby as a winger but not a main striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.