Arsenal Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes teams get promoted from lower divisions too quickly and when in the big time they cant handle it. I wonder if we challenged for the title too early, there was no progression or baby steps, no one saw it coming. Our highest placed finish under Arteta was 5th, and we hadnt played in the CL. Then all of a sudden we are top with 10 games to go. I think we realy way too much on Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard and Saliba. ages 20, 21, 24, 21 respectively.

The nucleas is there. I think this season we are getting two starting midfielders. Rice will likely be one according to the bookmakers, and potentially Caicedo, or if not him then another. I think we will target a striker and Jesus can double as a striker and RW to lighten Saka's burden. I think the reports are true and we will spend aorund 250m on around 5 players. I can see Nketiah, ESR, TIerney and Balogun all leaving and raising easily over 100m.
Jesus, as you say, is decent out wide and can play as a second striker. You need a genuine 20 goal CF. Not cheap, not many around.

Sometimes teams get promoted from lower divisions too quickly and when in the big time they cant handle it. I wonder if we challenged for the title too early, there was no progression or baby steps, no one saw it coming. Our highest placed finish under Arteta was 5th, and we hadnt played in the CL. Then all of a sudden we are top with 10 games to go. I think we realy way too much on Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard and Saliba. ages 20, 21, 24, 21 respectively.

The nucleas is there. I think this season we are getting two starting midfielders. Rice will likely be one according to the bookmakers, and potentially Caicedo, or if not him then another. I think we will target a striker and Jesus can double as a striker and RW to lighten Saka's burden. I think the reports are true and we will spend aorund 250m on around 5 players. I can see Nketiah, ESR, TIerney and Balogun all leaving and raising easily over 100m.
Foden is 22 and has five league titles. Haaland is 22 and has one plus playing in a new league along with Alvarez who is 23 and is a world cup winner. Rico Lewis arguably turned our season around and is 18. Dias was 23 when he joined City and has won the league in every season he has been here. Ederson, Stones, Raheem, Zinchenko, Laporte, Jesus all early twenties when joining City and all league winners.

The big problem with waiting for players to grow up and mature is that they either get bought by other teams that are winning stuff, their form collapses or they don't actually improve. They don't get replaced by better players and like Spurs the squad gets filled up with rubbish. Incremental improvement is one of the biggest myths in football. You make giant leaps or you fall behind. If you're not going to sign players that potentially bench Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard or Saliba you're not going to improve enough.

For context before anyone argues that our young players come into a team used to winning so the comparison is unfair - in 2012 Aguero was 23, Balotelli 20, Joe Hart 24, Micah 23, Nasri 24.

For context before anyone argues that our young players come into a team used to winning so the comparison is unfair - in 2012 Aguero was 23, Balotelli 20, Joe Hart 24, Micah 23, Nasri 24.
Kolo, Hargreaves, Taylor and Bridge were our only over 30s and we remember how vital they were...

Foden is 22 and has five league titles. Haaland is 22 and has one plus playing in a new league along with Alvarez who is 23 and is a world cup winner. Rico Lewis arguably turned our season around and is 18. Dias was 23 when he joined City and has won the league in every season he has been here. Ederson, Stones, Raheem, Zinchenko, Laporte, Jesus all early twenties when joining City and all league winners.

The big problem with waiting for players to grow up and mature is that they either get bought by other teams that are winning stuff, their form collapses or they don't actually improve. They don't get replaced by better players and like Spurs the squad gets filled up with rubbish. Incremental improvement is one of the biggest myths in football. You make giant leaps or you fall behind. If you're not going to sign players that potentially bench Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard or Saliba you're not going to improve enough.

And thats why this window we need to spend and bring in around 3 players for the first team and at least 2-3 others to fill out the squad.

Arteta has been here 4 years and only spent over 50m once on an individual player. We need to bridge the money gap with some big ticket purcahses. Really confident we get Rice, who knows about Caicedo and I think a stiker is on the cards with Jesus doubling as a striker and RW to alleviate the load on Saka.

Jesus is a good player but him not seizing the opportunity to be City's main striker and wanting to play as a wide attacker should have shown Arteta that he was not the solution to Arsenal's central striker requirement.

Most strikers would love the opportunity to spearhead a team containing the likes of KdB, Mahrez, Jack etc. but for some reason Jesus did not take on that opportunity.

Which strikers do you think Arsenal could sign? Ivan Toney's tally of 20 goals is impressive and he is a good age but the betting ban has ruled that out. It would be funny if they made a bid for Harry Kane - he is probably exactly the player they need to challenge next season.

And thats why this window we need to spend and bring in around 3 players for the first team and at least 2-3 others to fill out the squad.

Arteta has been here 4 years and only spent over 50m once on an individual player. We need to bridge the money gap with some big ticket purcahses. Really confident we get Rice, who knows about Caicedo and I think a stiker is on the cards with Jesus doubling as a striker and RW to alleviate the load on Saka.
Ake, Akanji, Alvarez all cost less than £50m and have been key for us this year. Rice and Caicedo will definitely improve you though

ha-smirk.gif

For me, bottling it is being good enough to win something and not doing so. Arsenal are not good enough to beat City to the PL.
Arsenal aren't good enough to beat West Ham (A), Southampton (H), Forest (A), and get a draw at least against Brighton (H)? That's ignoring the 1 point "gained" from 2-0 up at Klanfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.