Arsenal Thread - 2023/24

Pretty lucky with injuries? That's one way of describing it. Some would say freakish.
37 matches played
37 apps : Saliba, Rice
36 apps : White, Havertz
35 apps : Gabriel, Saka (although he has been doubtful for 30 of those)
34 apps : Odegaard, Martinelli
33 apps : Trossard
31 apps : Raya

That equates to nine players missing a total of 16 matches or, including Raya, ten missing 22 matches.

De Bruyne and Stones have missed twenty each so far and Haaland seven so I think pretty lucky is rather economical with the truth.
True, key players have been ever present. That being said we had Jurrien Timber out from the 1st game of the season and we've struggled at left back. Also Thomas Partey has been out for most of the season and he's an incredible player when fit - most people seem to have forgotten about him but he was a key reason we did so well last year.

So yes we've been lucky on one front but 2 key starters for us have missed most of the season - 1 has missed the whole season bar the 1st half vs Forest.

Re Gabriel's stats - he was dropped at the start of the season by Arteta and replaced at centre half by Partey! One of those games we drew 2-2 at home vs Fulham. No idea if Arteta had been ingesting hallucinogenic mushrooms or not but that may well have been a costly aberration on his part as we gave Fulham their goals with the kind of defending that wouldn't have happened if Gabriel had played.

The same Jurrien Timber who has played one game for you? Wow. But you have had Zinchenko and Tomiyasu available for all but a couple of games. I assume that he will be first choice next season then? I'll be watching like a hawk.
Partey out? His position is occupied by Plodder so who makes way for him?
Before Zinchenko, Tierney was the dog's bollocks.
Just for the record, what is your first choice starting eleven?

Last edited:
True, key players have been ever present. That being said we had Jurrien Timber out from the 1st game of the season and we've struggled at left back. Also Thomas Partey has been out for most of the season and he's an incredible player when fit - most people seem to have forgotten about him but he was a key reason we did so well last year.

So yes we've been lucky on one front but 2 key starters for us have missed most of the season - 1 has missed the whole season bar the 1st half vs Forest.

Re Gabriel's stats - he was dropped at the start of the season by Arteta and replaced at centre half by Partey! One of those games we drew 2-2 at home vs Fulham. No idea if Arteta had been ingesting hallucinogenic mushrooms or not but that may well have been a costly aberration on his part as we gave Fulham their goals with the kind of defending that wouldn't have happened if Gabriel had played.
You can buy Cancello from us. :)

Ive not got stats to back it up but I feel like you can't come close two seasons and then win it on the third without a big player or two coming in. Closest example I can think of is when Liverpool bought in Alison and Van Dijk. You fall into a spurs situation where you end up buying reserves instead of bringing in players to potentially bench your star men like Kane. It took two seasons of big signings in Silva, Toure and then Sergio to push us into the next sphere.
True but despite the flak Arteta gets from opposing fans for being a bit of a cock at times, what surely is clear is he's tactically very smart (he had the best teacher after all!). So he's been able to get the team playing almost by muscle memory vs the low blocks teams inevitably play against us (and which City have had to deal with for much longer than that).

So I think that adaptability has helped us progress - just look at what he's done with Havertz, just like Pep has done this season with Kovacic (I can't have been alone in thinking what on earth were City buying him for unless it was for squad depth as he couldn't get into the Chelsea side yet he's been vital in strengthening your midfield and has grown into the role as the season has gone on, arguably one of the buys of the season).

True but despite the flak Arteta gets from opposing fans for being a bit of a cock at times, what surely is clear is he's tactically very smart (he had the best teacher after all!). So he's been able to get the team playing almost by muscle memory vs the low blocks teams inevitably play against us (and which City have had to deal with for much longer than that).

So I think that adaptability has helped us progress - just look at what he's done with Havertz, just like Pep has done this season with Kovacic (I can't have been alone in thinking what on earth were City buying him for unless it was for squad depth as he couldn't get into the Chelsea side yet he's been vital in strengthening your midfield and has grown into the role as the season has gone on, arguably one of the buys of the season).
Arteta has learnt most of the dark arts from Wenger not Pep plus a few he's invented himself. Tactical time outs, stealing 20 yards at every throw and that's not even mentioning the tricks that Ben Orange gets up to. I think his main influences have been managers like Allardyce and Pulis to be honest. Pep would never stoop to the levels Arteta does but then again Arsenal are the bastions of class, sporting integrity and honour aren't they?
I'm still waiting to hear who Partey replaces by the way.

why would you want to play a rapist

The same Jurrien Timber who has played one game for you? Wow. But you have had Zinchenko and Tomiyasu available for all but a couple of games. I assume that he will be first choice next season then? I'll be watching like a hawk.
Partey out? His position is occupied by Plodder so who makes way for him?
Before Zinchenko, Tireney was the dog's bollocks.
Just for the record, what is your first choice starting eleven?
Timber is by all accounts absolute quality - a very rapid left/right back who inverts and has a great final ball. I say by all accounts as we have hardly seen him although he was excellent in pre season and also against City in the Community Shield.

We also have 2 youngsters coming through who are supposedly generational talents - one of them Ethan Nwaneri may get game time next season, the other Chido Obi-Martin may play in the 'this means more' trophy next season - ironically he scored 10 goals in a single game against the Dippers youth team a couple of months ago.

Our best starting XI?

Probably;

Raya
White. Saliba. Gabriel. Timber

Odegaard. Partey. Rice

Saka. Havertz. Feck knows

That left wing position is open. Martinelli hasn't progressed like we hoped he would, Trossard is a great impact player but lacks pace so I'd say that position is open although an in-form Martinelli gets it.

Where we can improve vs current team is if Timber comes in and is as good as he appeared to be before the injury. Havertz is good to bring on but a proper number 9 would make a difference as we've missed an absolute hatful of chances including in games we've not won. And left wing is an open position I'd say.

Timber is by all accounts absolute quality - a very rapid left/right back who inverts and has a great final ball. I say by all accounts as we have hardly seen him although he was excellent in pre season and also against City in the Community Shield.

We also have 2 youngsters coming through who are supposedly generational talents - one of them Ethan Nwaneri may get game time next season, the other Chido Obi-Martin may play in the 'this means more' trophy next season - ironically he scored 10 goals in a single game against the Dippers youth team a couple of months ago.

Our best starting XI?

Probably;

Raya
White. Saliba. Gabriel. Timber

Odegaard. Partey. Rice

Saka. Havertz. Feck knows

That left wing position is open. Martinelli hasn't progressed like we hoped he would, Trossard is a great impact player but lacks pace so I'd say that position is open although an in-form Martinelli gets it.

Where we can improve vs current team is if Timber comes in and is as good as he appeared to be before the injury. Havertz is good to bring on but a proper number 9 would make a difference as we've missed an absolute hatful of chances including in games we've not won. And left wing is an open position I'd say.
You played Nwaneri because other clubs were sniffing round him. Has he played since that one fleeting cameo? Has he fuck. Will he play next season? No, because you know your first eleven.
Do you watch Academy football because I do. The lad who scored all those goals has scored them because he is physically much bigger than others at that age. However, ten goals in a game is pretty good. I'll be keeping my beady eyes out for when he makes his debut for you.
Emile Smith-Rowe was a generational talent but that hasn't materialised has it?
Martinelli not taking that left wing spot or have you forgotten about that player who has made 34 premier league appearances this season? And Partey replaces Trossard? Fine. I am coming round to the opinion that you talk shit mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.