Arsenal Thread - 2023/24

Never got that feeling from going to your place over the years. Your behaviour towards us has definitely turned very bitter since we began to challenge the 'big boys'.
Pity about the pub though. Rough as a bears arse but everything an away fan needed. Miss Cliff behind the bar. He was a legend.

Never got that feeling from going to your place over the years. Your behaviour towards us has definitely turned very bitter since we began to challenge the 'big boys'.
Well I can't talk from your perspective, all I know is that the Gooners I know, and the crowd in general from going to the matches definitely have it in for Spurs and to a lesser extent the Dippers, but there's not really been animosity towards City, more of a 'we want to be them' vibe.

It'll get more tense now for sure as we are both playing in the same pool now, but aside from expected banter I see (as an example) a lot more animosity towards City from Spurs than I do Arsenal.

I think you'd need to hire someone like (God forbid) Mourinho for that to change. Aside from the obvious jibes you'll get from every club (and which out of respect I won't reference here) City aren't really a 'dislikeable' club from an Arsenal perspective - I've always cheered them on in Europe for example and there hasn't been aggro between the teams recently either - the managers are mates, I can't think of any pre-match mind games or on-field foul play like you get against the Dippers etc. Well not yet at least!

So Odegaard is an amazing player, but KDB is just totally elite. So agree he's not getting in. Odegaard is the 2nd best in the league in that role though, 100%. I do think based on this season our centre backs get into your team though.

Saka is debatable (and I'd not play him ahead of Foden but maybe ahead of Bernardo) but it's marginal and I'm sure I have some Arsenal-tinted lenses on! Saka can go missing in big games which is why he's not a shoo-in.
We could discuss the CBs, but our CBs play one on one at the back, have to be completely interchangeable with FBs, and are also expected to be playmakers. However, your defensive record is slightly better than ours. Too bad Gabriel is a ****, but Saliba has been a revelation this season after an injury blighted season last year.

BUT, one thing there is zero question over… Bernardo is STREETS ahead of Saka. Not even the same post code!

Bernardo isn’t the Jack of All Trades, he is the Master! In the same game he can play winger, centre forward, any side of midfield, attacking or defensive midfield, and will even drop into the back line to relive the CBs in the press when Rodri is being man marked.

I’ve watched him for years and not only does he operate under the radar, but he operates EVERYWHERE under the radar.

I realize you don’t see him play every game and he’s not the media darling of a Foden, KDB or Haaland, but if you asked City fans who has been the energizer bunny of the team during their past 5+ years of dominance, they would all say Bernardo.

Plus, you’ll never find a nicer guy on or off the field!

Saka needs to get in line and wait his turn while he matures in both his decision-making and possession. In addition, given all the plaudits for Saka’s attacking ability, you’d think he’d have scored considerably more goals than a virtually anonymous Bernardo, but you’d be surprised to hear he hasn’t, especially when you remove his penalties!

We could discuss the CBs, but our CBs play one on one at the back, have to be completely interchangeable with FBs, and are also expected to be playmakers. However, your defensive record is slightly better than ours. Too bad Gabriel is a ****, but Saliba has been a revelation this season after an injury blighted season last year.

BUT, one thing there is zero question over… Bernardo is STREETS ahead of Saka. Not even the same post code!

Bernardo isn’t the Jack of All Trades, he is the Master! In the same game he can play winger, centre forward, any side of midfield, attacking or defensive midfield, and will even drop into the back line to relive the CBs in the press when Rodri is being man marked.

I’ve watched him for years and not only does he operate under the radar, but he operates EVERYWHERE under the radar.

I realize you don’t see him play every game and he’s not the media darling of a Foden, KDB or Haaland, but if you asked City fans who has been the energizer bunny of the team during their past 5+ years of dominance, they would all say Bernardo.

Plus, you’ll never find a nicer guy on or off the field!

Saka needs to get in line and wait his turn while he matures in both his decision-making and possession. In addition, given all the plaudits for Saka’s attacking ability, you’d think he’d have scored considerably more goals than a virtually anonymous Bernardo, but you’d be surprised to hear he hasn’t, especially when you remove his penalties!
Well I'm not going to disagree on that. Bernardo is absolutely quality and like I said, it was debatable with Saka and he can go missing in big games whereas Bernardo got 2 goals vs Madrid in last year's CL semi. So fair enough, he's some player for sure.

Well I can't talk from your perspective, all I know is that the Gooners I know, and the crowd in general from going to the matches definitely have it in for Spurs and to a lesser extent the Dippers, but there's not really been animosity towards City, more of a 'we want to be them' vibe.

It'll get more tense now for sure as we are both playing in the same pool now, but aside from expected banter I see (as an example) a lot more animosity towards City from Spurs than I do Arsenal.

I think you'd need to hire someone like (God forbid) Mourinho for that to change. Aside from the obvious jibes you'll get from every club (and which out of respect I won't reference here) City aren't really a 'dislikeable' club from an Arsenal perspective - I've always cheered them on in Europe for example and there hasn't been aggro between the teams recently either - the managers are mates, I can't think of any pre-match mind games or on-field foul play like you get against the Dippers etc. Well not yet at least!

I personally like this forum because in general fans of other clubs can come on here and post without getting completely battered - although there's a line and some will dish out shit anyway.

Your posts are pretty balanced and the Arsenal fans I know are all very much "one game at a time" in mentality and certainly not getting carried away. It's the social media world that presents a different picture.

Having said that, the Arsenal fans I know also love to bring up the charges and are convinced we're guilty. It's natural if you're battling a team things become more heated between the fans. We didn't really hate the dippers other than the fact they were scouse until we were battling them and things have ascended to full on hatred now. People like Keown certainly don't help.

The kebab shops will be closed in North London tonight. The wine bars will be rammed.

I personally like this forum because in general fans of other clubs can come on here and post without getting completely battered - although there's a line and some will dish out shit anyway.

Your posts are pretty balanced and the Arsenal fans I know are all very much "one game at a time" in mentality and certainly not getting carried away. It's the social media world that presents a different picture.

Having said that, the Arsenal fans I know also love to bring up the charges and are convinced we're guilty. It's natural if you're battling a team things become more heated between the fans. We didn't really hate the dippers other than the fact they were scouse until we were battling them and things have ascended to full on hatred now. People like Keown certainly don't help.
Ok so I've steered away from the 115 on this forum for obvious reasons, but seeing as you've brought it up..... Bringing up the charges by opposing fans is inevitable regardless of guilt or not. Same reason Partey kept getting booed despite charges dropped.

Re the 115 charges I can tell you with 100% certainty that whatever happened did so with full awareness of the PL, with the assumption that it was all compliant and above board. If in retrospect someone doesn't like how that panned out it's a case of the horse has already bolted but understand clearly that it was in the PL's interest to have a new superclub in the top flight that helps the PL get ahead of Laliga/Serie A etc in overseas revenues. So tacit acceptance went on. It's in everyone's interest right?

However people are sneaky fucks and will bury others to get ahead in life, what will end up happening is some kind of denial and in the end an agreement to pay a fine and maybe token points deduction will take place. You aren't going to be a league 2 team anytime soon.

The reason I personally don't care too much about the 115 is that every single leading PL club has sailed close to the wind on finances in recent history and the last thing anyone wants to do is open Pandora's Box and delve into the finances of Chelsea, Rags, Arsenal, Newcastle etc going back 20 years.

So I expect it to be buried because it's in everyone's interests to do so, particularly the clubs of those very fans who chant about the 115!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.