Arsenal Thread | 2024/25

Opinions and to put Saka in the same sentence as Foden is a joke.
Foden is a great player but I'm happy we have Saka and wouldn't swap him for Foden TBH given the way we play, plus Saka's a fair bit younger than Foden and is still developing whereas I think Foden is somewhere near his peak now. I know this argument's been done to death and if anyone has a different opinion that's cool and I totally understand and respect that as I can see it from both sides.

I'd definitely swap Rice for Rodri though!

We'll need to get more points than last season, to show progress. So 90+. If we get to 91 points and City get 95 or so, it is what it is. I'd imagine most people will look at Arsenal and think it's probably inevitable that they'll win the title sooner or later given the quality and youth of the squad, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

Betting odds still have City as favourites, but not by as much as they were at the start of last season. Putting my neck on the block I'm more confident than I was this time last year and I do think Arsenal will win the PL this season.

I think there may be some distractions for City this season with the legal stuff and Pep's contract, I think the quality of the Arsenal team is very high (some areas better than City, other areas worse than City), signings are coming in to provide depth (Calafiori confirmed, Merino and Gyokeres also likely, outside chance of Nico Williams seeing as Barcelona are trying to buy him on Klarna). Also the Euros will have an impact on tiredness and City's players played the most minutes (2nd highest was Arsenal players but that was nearly 50% less than City players).

I suspect City will battle the Spanish Rags for the CL.

I'm saying the above just to put my cock on the block- nothing worse than humblebragging opposing fans or false modesty. Last season I didn't think we'd win the league. This season I think we will.

I've jinxed them now!
View attachment 126610
Probably inevitable they will win it sooner or later? Nothing inevitable in sport particularly when competing against Pep’s city. I know you are not referring to yourself but some of your follow gooners need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Foden is a great player but I'm happy we have Saka and wouldn't swap him for Foden TBH given the way we play, plus Saka's a fair bit younger than Foden and is still developing whereas I think Foden is somewhere near his peak now. I know this argument's been done to death and if anyone has a different opinion that's cool and I totally understand and respect that as I can see it from both sides.

By the time he’s 25 Saka will be burnt out imo, he plays way too many games every season, I think Arteta is managing him wrong, nothing in it age wise.

A fair bit younger? there is barely 15 months between them. I also think Foden is still developing under Pep, everyone develops under him. Saka is a great player, let’s see if Arteta can improve him further.

I don’t see your point about Odegaard and Nwaneri (whoever t f that is)' for 'Gareth Barry/Nigel DeJong/Patrick Vieira.

Ødegaard is a creative midfielder, whereas the three City boys were all holding midfielders, though I suppose Paddy V. was really a box-to-box player in his pomp.
and so was Gareth Barry (in his day he could play anywhere and do pretty much anything - not that we got to see so much of this variability/versatility due to his age and our system/personnel)

My point wasn't really about Johnson being 'box to box' or 'sitting' or (my opinion) 'a more defensively minded midfielder playing in a team with Elano and Ireland in it'

It was just that both ESR and Johnson got injured, had long recover times, seemingly lost form (motivation?) and then had their paths back to first team places 'blocked' by a range of alternative options/players who were of an at least equal standard with equally high ceilings. Wasn't really about like for like.

Johnson didn't really recover any form, but I don't recall us getting £30million for him.
Will ESR recover his form and reach his 'high ceiling'? Nobody really knows, but Arsenal have got £30million in.

That's all I meant really.

Probably inevitable they will win it sooner or later? Nothing inevitable in sport particularly when competing against Pep’s city. I know you are not referring to yourself but some of your follow gooners need to take a good hard look at themselves.
Yes but Edu's big plan is to kidnap Pep. You heard it here first!

By the time he’s 25 Saka will be burnt out imo, he plays way too many games every season, I think Arteta is managing him wrong, nothing in it age wise.
Yeah I agree - he's like a flogged horse and his stats are better in the 1st half of the season as a result. I think the plan is to give Nwaneri some minutes and also dip into the transfer market but you're 100% spot on with that assessment in my opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.