Arsenal Thread | 2024/25

They'll be our most serious customers, no question about it. Very sound at the back. But funnily enough I'm quietly confident. More so than last season. I feared that there would be a hangover from the treble, and we'd also lost Gundo and Mahrez. Also, it may sound ridiculous to say about a man who (again) won the Golden Boot, but something didn't seem quite right with Erling once he came back from his injury.

Gvardiol now fully bedded in. Rico a fully fledged member of the team/squad, and not merely “promising”. Doku learning the trade, and I believe he'll get better with his end product. Erling clearly properly rested. Jack eager to get back in the mix and prove his quality. Nobody significant gone (I don't believe we'll miss Julián very much, and I speak as someone who rated him highly). Then this live wire lad Savinho. Who knows what the ceiling is there? Bernardo, Phil, Nathan, Manu, Rúben all here at their posts, and ready to do it all over again. Two top quality keepers fighting it out between them.
I'm actually convinced we're a better team/squad than last year. Of course, sooner or later, we have to be overtaken by someone. And if we get a points deduction, that changes the game completely. But overall I feel good about this season.
Yeah I'd agree some of the media writing off City was ridiculous. But as they say, the Devil's best work was convincing the world he didn't exist (not that I'm saying City are the devil in case someone gets the wrong end of the stick!)

Yeah I'd agree some of the media writing off City was ridiculous. But as they say, the Devil's best work was convincing the world he didn't exist (not that I'm saying City are the devil in case someone gets the wrong end of the stick!)

Actually, as you seem to imply, it was the media (a small section of it, to be fair) who have been doing the Devil's work, trying to convince people that City don't exist.
It'll be as close this season as it was last, whichever way it goes.

Arsenal are our only rivals this season IMHO, we need to get points off of them when we play them.

First caller Arsenal fan.

What a delusional fuckin plank.

Is this how fans of other teams function?

Can't stop laughing.

They have us panicked, after 2 games I might add, and that's why we've signed gundog.

View attachment 129447
Nothing to do with Ilkay being one of the best and most versatile central midfielders in the world, then?

OK.

Interesting stat is that in 2024 Arsenal's PL record is P20, W18, D1, L1

Their away record is P10, W9, D1, L0 and only 3 goals conceded.

And that STILL only got 2nd place!

He's not 'bang average', he's got the top stats in Europe for duels won and he's a big lad who has just won the Euros. He'd probably get in ahead of Kovacic (or at the least alternate with him) in your side and would walk into the Rags or Dippers midfield.

He'll add steel in midfield and provide cover for Rice. He's definitely needed for Arsenal's squad depth so comparing him with Gundo isn't the right comparison. £35m isn't a marquee signing so it doesn't give Arsenal a title but it gives Arsenal more depth.

Something like Arsenal signing either Pep or Rodri probably gets us the title but I suspect that isn't going to happen! So for now it's about adding an extra 2-5% capability to the team, small margins make the difference in certain games.

Put it this way - we could hardly get out of our half at the Etihad last season. What happened is our defence got it out to our midfield but then Rodri and Co just nailed them and won it back. Someone like Merino makes that harder for City midfielders to do, plus he's an absolute unit and gives us more power at set pieces etc.
So who do you leave out for this superman to allow you to get in our half? Odegaard? Saka? plodder? You never got out of your half because you were shit scared of us! Arsenal, the personification of shithouses.

He'll play at 6. I reckon our midfield will then be him plus Rice and Odegaard ahead of him with Saka on the right and either Martinelli, Trossard or Jesus on the left and Havertz up top. By October I reckon this will be the line upView attachment 129272
So once again it shows that Plodder needs someone to hold his hand in midfield. Not bad for £110m

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.