Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

This was my conclusion from this game
Fernando played well especially in the second half and his passing was very good. Zuculini looked comfortable and was not out of place and with the likes of Fernandinho and Lampard available, 4231 formation may be the way foward.

Jovetic was lively albeit untidy when it came to finishing but he was one of the better players today. A real sucess this pre season.

The center backs that played today did not disprove that they are not good enough but we have 3 other defenders ahead of them so no need for much concern.

Nasri struggles against Arsenal.

Silva looked sharp and he is ready for another big season.

This was a glorified friendly so there is nothing to be worried about. Indeed there would have been a change of schedule to get the first team players back earlier if Pellegrini did not regarded this game as naught but an obligatory friendly match- his last chance to really assess one or two fringe players and finally have a complete idea of who he will be using this season.

Good luck to all the players for this season and I am confident that we will win the league and generally have another successful season.

Bring on Newcastle.

cibaman said:
TrueBlue1705 said:
Absolute sh*te in the first half especially - players couldn't be 'arsed' to run and track back when we lost possession. F*cking disgraceful to watch top pros getting paid a fortune put in such a lacklustre effort when we as fans pay a lot of Money to travel down and watch them .... I hope some of those players get a rocket up their arses!!!!

Also Nastasic looks like he has gone backwards on that performance, he looks like he has no confidence ....

Perhaps they put in a lacklustre performance because they've been working their socks off in pre season and carried some fatigue into the game?

You also have to bear in mind that Arsenal have a vital CL qualification tie coming up and will have tailored their pre season to ensure they're sharp at the start of the season. Something that might cost them later in the season
Precisely this - arse looked a week in front of us in the fitness stakes, and when you consider how vital it is for them to get into the CL groups it was no surprise.
I can't remember seeing a side so "up" for a community shield game as they were today - they were flying into tackles and blocks like injuries were a distant prospect. You don't do that unless you are fit and fighting , as opposed to our attitude and fitness , half a yard short in pace and passing.

Similar to 2 years ago. We won the title and didn't really strengthen. Fernandos fine but not much different than ferandiniho. This mangala saga has gone on way too long, should have pulled the plug ages ago and looked elsewhere. Players who should have been sold this summer, Milner,Boyata,nastastic,Garcia, are still here. Cabellero as I suspected isn't tall enough for the premier league (Given mark 2). Certainly Hart has fuck all to worry him. Jovetic has still much to prove for me . It's all very well saying it's pre season, a non event etc, That doesn't excuse the lack of effort and disinterested performances some of our players put in.

And most damning of all.
Who the fuck coaches the corner takers?. It gets worse!

B\connellblue said:
Similar to 2 years ago. We won the title and didn't really strengthen. Fernandos fine but not much different than ferandiniho. This mangala saga has gone on way too long, should have pulled the plug ages ago and looked elsewhere. Players who should have been sold this summer, Milner,Boyata,nastastic,Garcia, are still here. Cabellero as I suspected isn't tall enough for the premier league (Given mark 2). Certainly Hart has fuck all to worry him. Jovetic has still much to prove for me . It's all very well saying it's pre season, a non event etc, That doesn't excuse the lack of effort and disinterested performances some of our players put in.

And most damning of all.
Who the fuck coaches the corner takers?. It gets worse!

Dear oh fucking dear. This place.

Its a funny one the Charity Shield. As its at Wembley and it opens the season it gives the appearance of being more than just a run of the mill pre season game. As such, I naturally understand some of the comments on here.

Arsenal have a big Champions League tie coming up in a week or so and so had plenty of players already playing for places and it showed as they mostly played very well. We on the other hand have just a bit of tinkering to do and had lots out there who will not be in contention next week.

If I was to worry about anything today it would be that some who will be in contention next week had very poor games. Nasri, Clichy, Navas and Milner being the worst examples.

Still, it was only a friendly.

it was all about getting some match fitness. you could tell by the tactics and the substitutions made, that everything was predetermined by pellegrini. we all knew that an attacking kolarov, an out of position clichy, a new keeper and 2 centerbacks that probably only will see gametime in the league cup, going up against an attacking arsenal side was going to get exposed. arsenal have to be match fit early in the season because oh chl qualifiers, where as we probably wont be at full strength untill around mid september.

We alwways struggle against a 'busy' midfield when there is Yaya and 'another' and today was no different.

We created chances, look decent in possesion but never really put them under pressure or look like scoring, although we had more chances than them

Our play is depenandt on Zab making runs so with Clichy we were never going to have that threat

If all the players are fit we will win in N'caslte, if they are not we won't

Seeing as we didn't go for the win, that match would've been perfect to give our world cup players match fitness.

MSP said:
Shite but lot of players were missing.. and we lost to Arsenal prett y easily last pre season too.
A year ago yesterday.Was at that Game. Sat With Some Finnish Arsenal supporters. My Boys were really upset. Was First Game for them. Arsenal supporter offered them his scarf and asked if they wanted to swap sides. A good day Never the less. At the end I said to him "Well done!" and shook his hand.We won the League With Some of Arsenals old Players. That day in Helsinki 3-1 to Arsenal. Was Arsenals day Then. Arsenals day today.Was worried Then. Not worried now.!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.