Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

We were poor today but I really only care slightly more about this exhibition game than I do about other pre-season training games and that's really not a lot at all.

I'm more interested in what they do in training than the games during pre-season. I've not watched a second of our pre-season games before today. I'd love to be able to see training plans and schedules the staff draw up for the squad. I find that sort of thing interesting.

The pre-season has a week left, season starts next week.

That's all that needs saying really.

malg said:
Maybe the players saw the empty third tier and thought 'we'll if the fans can't be arsed, then why would we'?

Just got back and it was a bit sparse on the top tier. Really not a big fan of this "contest" but you have to go; especially when it reasonably close to home for me.

Was not surprised at the outcome: didn't expect City to bust a gut and they never got out of second gear. Arsenal were closer to themselves than us but no doubt the difference will be exaggerated.

Midfield 3 in all six City vs. Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea games this season for me or we're going to get overrun like today. Not sure yet whether we'll need a 3 against United or Spurs, but we may do. Midfield 2 is OK in many other games but today showed that against better opposition the extra midfielder against you hurts. Fernando behind a fully fit Yaya and Fernandinho will be a very strong midfield base.

Oh and selling my ticket for today's game was one of the best decisions I've made in a while. :-)

Well the game panned out as expected in that we didn't have our proper defence out and with Yaya playing alongside Fernando against an Arsenal three, it was always going to be tough to keep a clean sheet.

What is most important, is that after the first 20 minutes we looked dangerous going forward and created a few chances. I also thought we dominated possesion in the 2nd half and apart from a defelcted Giroud shot (honestly how can you get MOM for that) our defence was hardly troubled.

So I am not too worried about this defeat. Especially since last year's winners finished 7th :)

In an ideal world , we could have had a comfy home friendly against a Belgian or French side where we could have made as many subs as we wanted to , and changed systems and shape at will.
Because we are champions , we were forced into demonstrating our lack of fitness and availability of first team players, in front of a nationwide TV audience with all the pitfalls that go with that.
Had the first scenario happened , would we be having some of the negative reactions , even had we played the way we did today?
I think we would all be in agreement that it was a run-out for some squad players and an opportunity to get some minutes into legs and the result would have gone almost totally unnoticed .

LoveCity said:
Midfield 3 in all six City vs. Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea games this season for me or we're going to get overrun like today. Not sure yet whether we'll need a 3 against United or Spurs, but we may do. Midfield 2 is OK in many other games but today showed that against better opposition the extra midfielder against you hurts. Fernando behind a fully fit Yaya and Fernandinho will be a very strong midfield base.

Oh and selling my ticket for today's game was one of the best decisions I've made in a while. :-)

Said earlier in the thread that fernando behind yaya and Fernandihno is the only way it'll work.

br62 said:
RandomJ said:
br62 said:
The utter negativity, depression and pessimism of so many members on this forum is mind boggling.....it's no fun anymore.

I therefore propose that 2 bluemoon boards are created for the future.

ONE for the depressed, miserable and negative group who can whine all day to their heart's content.....and

ONE for the more moderate, positive and upbeat group......which would be so much more enjoyable to be part of.

Maybe someone can come up with proper titles for these two boards.

Or you could simply go join another forum if this one is "no fun anymore".

I certainly know which forum you would love.....the perfect example.
What do you expect after getting battered 3-0 by Arsenal?

Two poor goals conceded by a back four that we won't see together again this season , and a third goal that we couldn't do a lot about. Once we get our first eleven on the pitch we'll be ok. This time last year the rags were spanking their chops over moyes first trophy and we all know what happened to them.:-)

On holiday in Portugal so couldn't make it today. Had to watch it in a bar 90% full of Arse. They were so underwhelmed by beating our 2nd/3rd team they didn't even hang around for the plate presentation

Just got indoors, it was a shite performance, silva made a difference when coming on and i think that shows just how different we will play vs Newcastle with the big names playing, we was missing, kompany, demi, zaba, aguero, fernandinho..... no wonder we were poor. No need to dwell on it... One thing i will say though... boyata is shocking

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.