Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

We enjoyed it
10455994_1446672498943947_3671516745547331108_n.jpg

Something you wouldn't have seen
10426852_1446684712276059_8951807252184606865_n.jpg

Eds said:
Reflections from yesterday the morning ater the night before. We put out a 2nd string and ended the game with Richards, Boyata, Sinclair and Bruno on the pitch which I can't imagine will ever happen again. Arsenal had a far stronger side out throughout the game and the result was inevitable. We had 10 (including Mangala) players missing how many did Arsenal have missing. How many of our starting line up and how many of thiers will start the first game of the season. That was the difference. The game did tell us a few things though:- Boyata is not good enough to play premier league football for City as things stand at the moment and I am not sure he ever will be. Yaya, Nando and Nasri aren't match fit yet, Clichy is not a right back, Nasty looks composed on the ball but lacks in concentration, Edin's work rate still isn't good enough, Jovetic looks sharp but lacks a yard of pace and Navas couldn't be bothered tracking back. Silva looks to be carrying a few pounds and Arsenal fans are all giddy at the prospect of winning the quadruple. All in all though it was a good day out even if the drive down was shit because of the weather. And it alsoshows that this game should be played at a neutral ground halfway in between both clubs. I wonder how many Arse fans would have travelled North if the game was at the the rag's ground.

My thoughts exactly.

Silva looks to be carrying a few pounds? I just saw the same old wonderful Silva.

He wrested control of the game single-handedly from Arsenal, although they were happy just to sit deep.

You can hide behind the game finishing with fringe players, but it didn't start that way. We had a strong midfield and forward line although the defence was almost entirely new.

The reason why we lost was not just because of the changes, but because the team collectively coasted the opening minutes and a 1-0 lead was perfect for a ell-drilled and counter-attacking Arsenal team

FromPollockToSilva said:
Only 7 times in the 22 Community Shields played between 1992 and 2013 has the winner gone on to win the league. That's 31.8%. Arsenal have never won the league after winning the CS in the Premier League era (0/4).
They're not going to come close to winning the league. It's going to be between us & Chelsea when the time comes.

Arsenal can't field two teams. They've got an abundance of quality in attacking midfield but in other areas of the pitch they're lacking severely in numbers, balance and quality. For example, their back four yesterday of Debuchy - Chambers - Koscielny - Gibbs is their best back 4 if you move Chambers out and put Mertesacker in. Chambers can be used as a utility player, but say they go far in the cup competitions this year - they're going to have to use a squad they don't have. No Vermaelen anymore so there's not much CB cover, and Monreal isn't a patch on Gibbs. They're going to need to spend again.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Marvin said:
Pathetic turnout from City fans. Embarrassing

You best not go next time then because I very much doubt there will be more than 10,000 there after yesterday.

It was lack of transport options that put me off yesterday. I drive all week in my job, so couldn't be arsed doing another 400 miles yesterday, coaches are just not for me and the lack of train options was the decider.

However, having watched that, I won't be bothering again next time and by the sounds of it many others won't either.

I actually think 18000 turnout is good for a friendly anyway.

Didn't see the game yesterday, only just seen the Highlights on OS. I can't understand all these complaints; I thought it was a crackin turnout.
Like a few people are pointing out, you'll never get that number again. It's a poxy friendly, that's all it is. To travel all that way down to that Farce of a Stadium!! Hats off to those that made the trip. I don't get this national Stadium Business. I think it's only us that has one. For what that bollox cost, the money should have gone to grassroots.

The misses couldn't leave it, summing up my day when I got back home:

"So you paid a lot of money to fligh over in shit weatherconditions causing a bumpy nervewrecking flight that was delayed severely, leaving you hardly any time to have a drink before the game with your mates, having to go back straight after the final whistle to try and catch your flight home only for another delay that made you stuck around an overcrowded Gatwick, City losing and not performing well, 1/3 of the squad not able to play and half the City-stand empty because at least some City-fans ARE indeed wise enough to stay at home".

So I'm guessing you're just happy to see me back home in ons piece than? No?

Personal note: we all know the CS is being held for Wembley to try and recoup some of the enormous investment to (re)build the bloody place. It'll be held there for as long as the CS will exsist. I hope we participate in the CS as must as possible, preferably as CHAMPIONS.

Arsenals pressing + Silva on the bench + Girouds amazing goal = 3-0
Silva and Zuculini must have been in the starting 11 instead of Nasri and Dzeko

Personally i don't care about this result Next week at Newcastle is another matter all together.

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
Only 7 times in the 22 Community Shields played between 1992 and 2013 has the winner gone on to win the league. That's 31.8%. Arsenal have never won the league after winning the CS in the Premier League era (0/4).
They're not going to come close to winning the league. It's going to be between us & Chelsea when the time comes.

Arsenal can't field two teams. They've got an abundance of quality in attacking midfield but in other areas of the pitch they're lacking severely in numbers, balance and quality. For example, their back four yesterday of Debuchy - Chambers - Koscielny - Gibbs is their best back 4 if you move Chambers out and put Mertesacker in. Chambers can be used as a utility player, but say they go far in the cup competitions this year - they're going to have to use a squad they don't have. No Vermaelen anymore so there's not much CB cover, and Monreal isn't a patch on Gibbs. They're going to need to spend again.

To be fair we can't really either. We are still weak in some areas too as are all teams.

Our second string is nowhere near as good and if Silva is out for any length of time we struggle for creativity.

Arsenal got 79 points last season and were very unfortunate with injuries.They will be thereabouts.

I think it has the makings of a great season. Spurs will be better under their new manager who showed he is decent with Southampton and the rags can't possibly be any worse although I am surprised by their signings so far. Nothing to write home about.

The key will be how the top 6 do against each other, hence the need for a good start from us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.