Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

WhenProgrammesWereAShilling said:
Someone tell me what was the bloody point of it all.

The point is a charity pre-season exhibition match which no side has ever really been that interested in, but in the modern era of universal tv coverage is made to appear important.

Wenger took the opportunity to use the game to step his side up more as he not only has the PL opener next week, but also the CL.
Pellers has a different schedule and intention. The game was probably more of a distraction than a use.

I'd have liked to have won it but I still think that lose 3-0 or win 3-0, it would still have been a meaningless game.

That's my take on it anyway.

Marvin said:
The attitude was all wrong. Arsenal wanted to win that whereas we treated the opening minutes like a training game. We deserved to be humiliated.
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year, and going quite a while without win ning any shiny things until this May.

I don't understand this humiliated, embarrased crap, as was posted by someone else yesterday we have 60 games to play this season, and this was the 61st in importance, so its little wonder that fans, players, and club gave it much the same priority. As a fan, with away games, and european away games, I'm not wasting £50-100 on something I have no interest in (supporting the FA's coffers).

GaudinoMotors said:
Whether it's been was complacency or arrogance these last two weeks in high profile games, I'm not sure. It's certainly left a flat feeling and already there will be pressure should we continue to play so piss poor next week.

I cant imagine we will play anything like yesterday on Sunday, I'm choosing to interpret recent performances as us 'easing ourselves back into the water'.....we cant treat the start of a marathon like a 100 metre sprint.

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
The attitude was all wrong. Arsenal wanted to win that whereas we treated the opening minutes like a training game. We deserved to be humiliated.

I don't understand this humiliated, embarrased crap, as was posted by someone else yesterday we have 60 games to play this season, and this was the 61st in importance, so its little wonder that fans, players, and club gave it much the same priority. As a fan, with away games, and european away games, I'm not wasting £50-100 on something I have no interest in (supporting the FA's coffers).
have to say i agree with this sentiment

i have never yet been to see a charity/community shield game and i've followed City since the 60s, and it's only just dawned on me I've never been

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year.

We were.

How many times do teams get beat 3-0 at Wembley.

And to top it off, Arsenal fans were able to sing You're support is f shit especially when the attendance was announced and everyone could work out just how many City fans were there

Im not convinced any of our pre-season has been of much use- poor in Scotland, mediocre in the US, poor again yesterday.

We shall find out next week. If we lose our opener then the shit will fly so hopefully normal service will be resumed on Tyneside.

WhenProgrammesWereAShilling said:
Im not convinced any of our pre-season has been of much use- poor in Scotland, mediocre in the US, poor again yesterday.

We shall find out next week. If we lose our opener then the shit will fly so hopefully normal service will be resumed on Tyneside.
US was a waste of time and I doubt any football coach would want us to do that. It's for commercial reasons only

And when 8 1st team players are out the major element of the tam has not had a pre-season, or only a very brief one

Should do what Arsenal do and go to Europe to somewhere with reliable weather. The absence of the best players through the footballing calendar can't be helped.

Marvin said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year.

We were.

And to top it off, Arsenal fans were able to sing You're support is f shit especially when the attendance was announced and everyone could work out just how many City fans were there
if you are bothered about what a few tarquins sing, you really do need to grow up

over the last five seasons i've missed no more than twenty games in total away from home, yet have not gone to one single charity shield game, that's not embarrassing
what's embarrassing is reading city fans criticise the club because some choose not to spend their money on a friendly

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year, and going quite a while without win ning any shiny things until this May.

My feelings exactly.

I watched the game at home with a hangover, and tbh I couldn't have thought of anywhere worse to be than at Wembley watching a glorified friendly ran by the big wigs at the FA.

I just sat there in silence and watched the game, usually im on the edge of my seat but this game didn't give me any adrenalin at all.

No doubt it will be business as usual this Sunday in a game that actually matters.

Marvin said:
We were.

No YOU were. I couldn't give a shit what the arsenal fans sang (its a surprise in itself to hear they actually sang, because all they ever seem to do these days is booo), but I trust we gave them a rendition of "champions" ? Something a few of them may even vaguely remember being.

As for getting beat 3-0 in a friendly, I'm sure its happened before to someone else, as for where it happened wembley, or rhyl, who cares its just a friendly, if you treat it as anything else you're just kidding yourself, that you chose to spend money on it is your choice, its not City's fault.

You need to get over it, its spoiling your day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.